It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mountains of Pluto and possibly moving glaciers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
For those who have not seen Pluto through the lens/cameras of the New Horizon Probe ( I had not seen it like this in a well done video) the huge glaciers and their movements are one possibility for the rather large mountains found on Pluto's surface... Anyway I found the video interesting and maybe a few of you will too.

youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
interesting video. I appreciate the CGI that gives you an idea of perspective. And some of the photos that I haven't seen (mostly due to not really looking, admittedly).

The softer ice explantion seems to at least be logical.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing ! I still think of Pluto as a planet, and feel Pluto got jipped when they down graded Pluto.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
interesting video. I appreciate the CGI that gives you an idea of perspective. And some of the photos that I haven't seen (mostly due to not really looking, admittedly).

The softer ice explantion seems to at least be logical.

Yep... I have watched some of the official videos from NASA that all seem to run around 55 minutes and are tedious and slow as far as dropping pearls of wisdom.. Kinda wanta say cut to the chase in some of them .. But this short video, for me at least, cuts to the chase with great visuals.. Thanks (both of you !) for stopping by ... There was a time when stuff like this got more of a response both positive and negative... Times have changed, no ?

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

well, its a US centric site. And we can't even be bothered to have a shuttle program anymore.

Im just waiting for us to elect Camacho so we can get on with it.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing ! I still think of Pluto as a planet, and feel Pluto got jipped when they down graded Pluto.

The problem came when they discovered Eris (which is as large as Pluto, and has at least one moon), Sedna, Haumea, Makemake, etc., and think that there are probably hundreds -- or even thousands -- of those Pluto-like worlds out there.

It was the discovery of Eris and the probability of many other similar worlds existing that made them finally create a new category of "Dwarf Planet" for Pluto, Eris, and the others. Besides, ever since Pluto was discovered in 1930, there has been a great debate among astronomers as to whether it was really a major planet, with many feeling it should have never been called a planet in the first place. This current debate is nothing new.

So if Pluto were considered a "major planet", then Eris, Sedna, Haumea, and the thousand of similar worlds would also be major planets. Instead of saying our solar system has thousands of major planets, I'm fine with having only a handful of major planets -- while keeping Pluto, Eris, and the others as minor planets.

edit on 4/18/2016 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain

Doesn't this create some serious issues for predicting planets in general?

I mean if you're sitting there looking at orbit deviations and trying to calculate where they are coming from and what might be causing it, doesn't not being able to factor in several thousand objects kinda ya know...make your math pretty irrelevant?

I guess we will know eventually if they ever manage to image this 200-600au monster planet they think might be out there.

new topics

top topics

join