It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone have a Whistler 1080/Radio Shack Pro 668 scanner? Need help programming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I used to have a police scanner and wanted to get another/better one. I picked up the Radio Shack 668 (is this a revolver too? Number sounds familiar) scanner at a pretty good price from Radio Shack with some talking and an old ad.

Thing doesn't seem to work AT ALL. Programmed it for my zip code, tried again, tried going in and plopping individual channels, hooked it up to the PC and updated it. I've heard maybe 10 seconds of chatter after spending a few hours trying to program it. Should be up to date at least.

When I pay $300 + for something that advertises being easy to program, and it doesn't work, it irks me. They "programmed it" at Radio Shack for me and in 1/2 hour I didn't get a single blip on the thing.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1
you might want to change your forum.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
YouTube whistler redub

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

"once you have the freqs loaded into ez scan go to the scanner/sd card menu and select prepare scanner/sd card for use then when the menu comes up uncheck the quick format box and check copy current config to sd card after format this option will bring up another window and then hit enter . Then sit back and go drink coffee for awhile while this does its thing . It takes about an hour for the complete process . selecting the quick format will give you an error message when you try to use the card I have found out . sometimes I have had to repeat the process . I am using 16 gig cards in mine ."

"I just got mine today. You're suppose to just connect it to your PC via the USB cable"

Whistler group Downloads

The quotes are from forum

edit on 17-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

You're right! Oh weird.

Am I able to change the forum myself? I put in a request to have it changed, I've never seen an option to edit the forum which is something that might be nice for us to be able to do.

edit on 1720160420161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

"once you have the freqs loaded into ez scan go to the scanner/sd card menu and select prepare scanner/sd card for use then when the menu comes up uncheck the quick format box and check copy current config to sd card after format this option will bring up another window and then hit enter . Then sit back and go drink coffee for awhile while this does its thing . It takes about an hour for the complete process . selecting the quick format will give you an error message when you try to use the card I have found out . sometimes I have had to repeat the process . I am using 16 gig cards in mine ."

"I just got mine today. You're suppose to just connect it to your PC via the USB cable"

Whistler group Downloads

The quotes are from forum

Appreciated, not quite I'm going for.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: apydomis

You're a terrible person!

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I thought those things could lead to better info. I don;t know much about scanners.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: reldra

You're right! Oh weird.

Am I able to change the forum myself? I put in a request to have it changed, I've never seen an option to edit the forum which is something that might be nice for us to be able to do.

It would be nice to be able to change forum on our own. At least maybe within 15 minutes of making a thread. Beyond that, people could use it for odd purposes.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

We have a scanner.
The only thing we can pick up now is the city police.
The county went to the P25 system and I can't justify the expense of a new scanner to myself.
I looked up your scanner and the ad says it comes already programmed?

Hear all of the action in your area without the complicated programming of frequencies. The Pro-668 includes a microSD™ card preprogrammed with the full U.S.A. and Canada database of all known analog public-service trunked systems as well as many conventional frequencies. Just select where you are and what you want to scan from pre-installed lists. It's as easy to use as an MP3 player. Hit play (not SCAN) and you are scanning the local action. Plus, Signal Stalker™ II enables you to lock on to nearby transmissions without programming or even knowing the frequencies and permits lockout of undesired frequencies. Enjoy unsurpassed decoding of P25-Phase II (full TDMA) signals, providing the best audio quality available in a digital scanner. All firmware updates to this model are available to customers at no cost.

I wonder if the people at radio shack didn't undo something they shouldn't have when they 'programmed' it for you.

When I first got my scanner (Motorola hand held) I had to find the frequencies on line and program in myself. Perhaps you will have to as well.
Here's a link where I think I found them. Also your local radio shack should have a list for your area that they can give you.
Broadcastify

I think there are forums on there also or maybe it was scanamerica.

Good luck getting it working!

join