It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Millenial Rebellion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
So it seems like the generation everyone loves to hate seems to be rebelling against the system.

One must look no further than to Bernie Sanders to see this truth of this statement but let's look deeper into the reasons why as I am predicting a major shift in economy and in growing tension in the country especially after the next president takes office.

www.marketwatch.com...

Nearly 70% of bachelor’s degree recipients leave school with debt, according to the White House, and that could have major consequences for the economy. Research indicates that the $1.2 trillion in student loan debt may be preventing Americans,from making the kinds of big purchases that drive economic growth, like house and cars, and reaching other milestones, such as having the ability to save for retirement or move out of mom and dad’s basement.

With massive student loan debt and fewer full time living wage job opportunities Millenials are unable to participate in the economy in a way that's effective.

We will be in a recession for decades because of this as it takes Millenials decades longer to purchase a home and a new car if they are not totally disenfranchised by the system by the time they get to that point economically.

www.redfin.com...

National inventory continues to decline by 3.2%, clamping down on March home sales

With the housing market in decline we can clearly see that the countries economy is not improving. I believe disenfranchisement and waking up to the reality that even if you do own your house the government can take it anytime they want if you don't pay your taxes is causing this.

www.usnews.com...

U.S. retail sales fell last month as Americans cut back on their car purchases, the latest sign that consumers are reluctant to spend freely

With no confidence in our economically illiterate and corrupt government it's a very risky bet to buy a new car especially when your laying off student loan debt and barely making enough money to pay rent. On top of that I believe that Millenials are more communal and less materialistic as previous generations.

Putting less stock in what they own and more stock in how they interact. A big part of this is due to be social pressure experienced from be family to buy a new house new car and start a family.

All things Millenials are NOT doing. Partly because of the economy and partly because they are choosing to rebel against the status quo.

I think a lot of it has to do with how they are treat by their families and discarded if not financially successful after college.

m.huffpost.com...

Millennials May Be Next Generation Facing Devastating Homelessness, Research Suggests

Once again facing the stark reality that we no longer value morals and family in this country Millenials are faced with the stark reality that nobody gives a # not even the people who claim to love them the most.

I believe all of these things are going to push my generation into a truly open rebellion and this presidential election is going to push many people over the edge. I'm predicting heavy market volatility and a serious social climate change in the next four years.

edit on 4/16/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I'm on a cellphone so please excuse my errors.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
they aren't choosing to rebel against the status quo, they are being forced to! and, to be honest, it's not just them, it's every one. they aren't buying new cars like they should be, is there a generation that is?? they aren't buying houses when they should be, that's okay, because the older generation, the ones who should be having their kids moving out of their house, well, they are underwater, or have lost much of the value in their homes, can't sell them and wouldn't anyways because the kids are still home. the older generation isn't leaving the workforce, they can't, the banking fiascos along with next to nothing interest rates have killed much of their savings, they aren't leaving the workforce, so there is no upward mobility. they only thing they might be different in is that they are young, and I think they tend to think more out of the box. they are gonna find alternatives that work for them outside of the status quo.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

If Millenials are not invested in the stock market, don't own homes, and aren't working, then their impact on the economy will be minimal at best.

What I do agree with, is that the sense of disenfranchisement will grow.

It won't be a twitter rebellion, it would be more of a breaking glass/tipping car type of rebellion.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I agree with you.

But with youth you get a more aggressive style of fighting back where older people are more stuck in their ways and choose security over risk.

Not only that but jobs that used to pay more are paying less now like in construction where guys are getting 18$ an hour when they used to get 25+.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
It's the system itself that has driven people to this.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Their minimal impact on the economy is what's going to put us into a 100 year long recession.

It will be two generations out before the economy begins to recover.

The entire landscape is going to change because how can a millenial tell their children to go to college when they found out it was just a scam in the first place?

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I shall await the bitter instagram frowning selfies with baited breath.

Oh wait, I ignore all that crap. Never mind.

Are they going to be protesting from their safe space?

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

I think you misunderstand a lot of Millenials based on what the media says.

I'm a millenial and my safe place is in the boxing ring and on the mats.

We've already seen the political climate drastically change and I think it's about to get worse.
edit on 4/16/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

The phrase itself and the SJW connotations it carries renders it ridiculous.

referring to "safe space"

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

What's SJW?

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

What's SJW?

Social Justice Warrior

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: onequestion

What's SJW?

Social Justice Warrior

Thanks I'm still trying to understand the post but I'm exhausted so I may not be reading it right.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
So you rebel against the system by voting for a man who wants to give that same system MORE POWER?!

How is that rebellion? It seems to me that what you are really having a tantrum over is that you haven't been allowed to totally surrender already because the rest of us are too stubborn to let you.

You guys are making me realize that lemmings aren't actually a myth. We gave birth to you. Melemmials. You guys need to study how Germany fell into the third reich. This is that pattern on both sides, but you if you can recognize it on one side, you should be able to see it in yourselves. Destitute young people with no hope and few prospects following a man who promises you everything if you endorse change for the sake of change and for no other reason - promises of everything for change.
edit on 16-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

You do realize that every dollar they don't spend on liquor, iPhones, groceries, or gas becomes thousands of dollars that never circulate through the economy, right?

More well paying jobs is literally how you grow an economy. This is super basic stuff.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

But if they don't have the money to begin with, then there is nothing to put into the system.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Bernie Sanders is a refreshing dose of change comparatively speaking.

Calling it a tantrum is asinine and reflects the perspective that I believe is going to truly cause a violent uprising.

Peoples voices aren't being heard anymore there is only one stage left.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Social Justice Warrior or SJW is not just someone who wants social justice (I think the vast majority of us do), it's that particular group of lunacy the new wave feminists (all men are rapists), otherkin (I'm actually an animal/mythical creature), and people that insist on being referred to as xe instead of he or she belong to. Think obnoxious and taking it too far. Think people that call writing Trump in chalk a hate crime. It's a pejorative, and while I use it sort of wish it was called something else because it SOUNDS like a good thing if you're not aware of the connotations.

Look at my avatar.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Bernienomics won't create well paying jobs.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

That's because wages are so low and corporate profits are so high that there's nothing left.

Everyone knows that the reason why the economy is drying up is because these big corporations and sucking the money out of communities and going to the next community like a virus just sucking the life out of everything.

And everybody knows it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join