It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isn't a Synthetic food or flaoursimilar to GMO foods?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I was just wondering.

I was looking into artificial flavorings and it seem that Vanillin is just made from molecular components to create the flavor.

But isn't that similar to GMO?

Genetically Manipulated Molecular Substances that make a fake vanilla flavor.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
I was just wondering.

I was looking into artificial flavorings and it seem that Vanillin is just made from molecular components to create the flavor.

But isn't that similar to GMO?

Genetically Manipulated Molecular Substances that make a fake vanilla flavor.

Is it alive?
GMO are living Frankenstein...thingys.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
We buy organic vanilla, it tastes so much better than most of the commercial vanillas and I don't seem to react badly to that compared to the double acting one with half propylene glycol in it.

Since the flavor of the organic vanilla we get is so powerful, we were able to reduce the amount in things. So it doesn't cost any more than buying better quality name brand stuff.
edit on 17-4-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

This is one of my favorite flavors. I make my own and it is remarkably cheap to do. Vanilla beans and grain alcohol.

Here is a bit of information on the imitation stuff. Not exactly synthetic, there is one ingredient that nature produces that goes into fake vanilla.

eaver butts secrete a goo called castoreum, which the animals use to mark their territory. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration lists castoreum as a “generally regarded as safe” additive, and manufacturers have been using it extensively in perfumes and foods for at least 80 years

voices.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008

question one : what is the cost of castoreum / per gram

question two - how much castoreum is required to make 1 litre of vanilla flavour icecream

question three - how much does 1 litre of vanilla flavour icecream

question 4 - has the absurdity of the claim "castoreum is in vanilla icecream " sunk in yet ?

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Question 5 - who goes out catching beavers in order to wipe the goo off their butts? Is there a particular season or time of day when they're known to be marking their territory.

Question 6 - do they have to warm their hands first?

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

The problem is that you don't know what food product contains castoreum, it is not required on any labels. Obviously someone is using it some where as vanilla flavoring.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
There is natural Vanillin

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
We buy organic vanilla, it tastes so much better than most of the commercial vanillas and I don't seem to react badly to that compared to the double acting one with half propylene glycol in it.

Since the flavor of the organic vanilla we get is so powerful, we were able to reduce the amount in things. So it doesn't cost any more than buying better quality name brand stuff.

Color me confused ...why would not use vanilla beans for vanilla flavor instead of the nasty chemical flavor version ?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Color me confused ...why would not use vanilla beans for vanilla flavor instead of the nasty chemical flavor version ?

We live in America where the scientists think that they can hack nature and create things that taste the same at a cheaper price. They learned to deceive our tastebuds and want to sell their inventions to companies so the companies can trick us into believing something that is not true. It works pretty well actually, some of our young have never even tasted reality. But they are getting all sorts of illnesses.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
There's nothing remotely genetic about artificially synthesised chemicals in this context. So no, nothing to do with or related to GMO.

We live in America where the scientists think that they can hack nature and create things that taste the same at a cheaper price. They learned to deceive our tastebuds and want to sell their inventions to companies so the companies can trick us into believing something that is not true. It works pretty well actually, some of our young have never even tasted reality. But they are getting all sorts of illnesses.

Er, the scientists aren't the ones concerned with profit margins here. Moreover, vanillin has been used as a flavouring agent since the Aztecs.

Synthesised vanillin is exactly the same as the stuff from vanilla. There is literally no difference in the vanillin end product. We make it instead of harvesting it because on the scale that it is demanded, it is ecologically and commercially too expensive not to.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: hypervalentiodine
There's nothing remotely genetic about artificially synthesised chemicals in this context. So no, nothing to do with or related to GMO.

Er, the scientists aren't the ones concerned with profit margins here. Moreover, vanillin has been used as a flavouring agent since the Aztecs.

Synthesised vanillin is exactly the same as the stuff from vanilla. There is literally no difference in the vanillin end product. We make it instead of harvesting it because on the scale that it is demanded, it is ecologically and commercially too expensive not to.

There are hundreds of compounds in regular vanilla. Vanillin is nowhere the same compound. I'm sixty, I have used both quite a bit in my life and there is definitely a difference. Vanillin is just one of the flavors in vanilla.

I don't know where you get that vanillin was being used by the aztecs when they did not have the ability to create the chemical. They used real vanilla from beans, not the synthetic chemical vanillin.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike

Question 5 - who goes out catching beavers in order to wipe the goo off their butts?

*sweats nervously*

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

What are these then?

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Why don't anti GMO twits cry about this?

Over 1000 are major staple crops all over the world.

edit on 22/4/16 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

What are these then?

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Why don't anti GMO twits cry about this?

Over 1000 are major staple crops all over the world.

So, in your book a person who cares about what they eat is a "Twit" ?

As for the info you provided, thank you, I had not heard about such practices and will dig deeper!

Ya know, there is a very small minority that could be described as being over the top when it concerns food, but people such as myself and the very vast majority of people who choose to eat organic food, we do so because we have a choice, that choice is - Food with known carcinogens liberally applied, or food without the carcinogens. Because we choose clean food, we are labeled "Twits"

Have you ever read Brave New World? (Huxley) You might recognize yourself if you do!

Again, thanks for the info.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Twit is one of many I could use.

Misguided is another.

"GMO's are killing us, but the mutated food created from radiation we eat is fine"

Smh

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I think, maybe not. They are different. Maybe it's similar to GMO but they are not the same.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Twit is one of many I could use.

Misguided is another.

"GMO's are killing us, but the mutated food created from radiation we eat is fine"

Smh

Those are YOUR words, YOUR opinion, YOU injected them into this thread!

I wonder why?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I did.

It was to point out the hypocrisy and/or ignorance of anti GMO people.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

So knew nothing of this until this thread!

Castoreum extract... is a natural product prepared by direct hot-alcohol extraction of castoreum, the dried and macerated castor sac scent glands (and their secretions) from the male or female beaver. It has been used extensively in perfumery and has been added to food as a flavor ingredient for at least 80 years. Both the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association (FEMA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regard castoreum extract as generally recognized as safe.

Source: National Institute of Health - Safety assessment of castoreum extract as a food ingredient

Somehow I knew FEMA would be involved! (lol)

new topics

top topics

join