It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your tolerance for...ill-formed, misguided and objectional posts on ATS?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I`m 55 years old and I have absolutely no tolerance for stupidity.In this, the new millenium, the internet is your friend to cure stupidity if people are too lazy to educate themselves then i have no desire to educate them.I use to try to educate and inform people as to why their opinions are wrong, but now I just don`t care enough to do that.I just ignore people who`s opinions are so blatantly ignorant that a minimal amount of research by them would cure them of that particular opinion.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
At 53, I will say I am somewhat less tolerant of silly posts which seem to have some hidden meaning which the OP is, frankly, afraid to articulate.

Some of these contributions seem to be a psychological reach-out to justify some twisted belief or emotional need. I'm sorry, but this just doesn't compute with me.

'Seem to have'. 'Seem to be'.

Can you be sure that you have not made an incorrect assumption? Was the post, perhaps, poorly worded or you just didn't give it enough attention to come to a proper understanding of what was meant?

I've seen more than a few squabbles on here because someone misinterpreted a post and then wouldn't back down when the other person tried to explain themselves. (Not suggesting you've done that).

There's a bit of an art to posting on forums and it's easy to think that one has been quite clear in what one said only to find that others completely missed the point. Or attributed a meaning that wasn't intended.

I've noticed quite a bit of snarkiness here recently, even in BTS. People jumping in to tell the OP to just Google a subject, for instance.

Or if someone hits the wrong button and posts their OP before it's finished. What's the point of people rushing in to complain instead of giving the person a chance to put things right?

I really think that the best policy for dealing with posts that are just annoying or unappealing is to ignore them and find something better to read.

Or help out - find a kind way to point out what you think are the errors of another's ways.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I see your point and its not only ATS but on my tv screen far too many times.

I attribute it to the teachings being driven into our kids brains especially from the universities and also in our schools.

I would wonder if there isn't a deliberate tolerate everything and reduce unpleasant things down to dumb placatory sentences with the law acting as the passive/aggressive force of shutting up opposition to things our governments and their dictators want. Our freedom to speak about our feelings and what is not acceptable to us is spying being taken away - soon we will within 20 odd years simply be agreeing little autobots.

There is no doubt about it that we are having to live through the clash of two diametrically opposed cultures and we are heading for a war because more immigrant troops rare being ford into our countries and with the speed its happening we are heading for civil wars. I also noticed only last night that any criticism of the man standing for Mayor of London with connections to islamic terrorist groups was passively/aggressively attempted to be shut up by one guest to a journalist who spoke his mind on Sky's Press Release programme.

Many of our kids seem to be educated in the idea that there are rules for absolutely everything which when it comes to something like defending this country they would be vulnerable because they would expect an attacker to 'play by the rules - which they certainly won't, another example is the 'you can do nothing about political and corporation corruption so shut up etc) (I am not talking about the Geneva Convention etc) but about our young applying their teachings to a civil war on our streets.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

Exactly right and also people have the right to have their own perspective on a problem - I get irritated when they try to bung it down my throat because there is an easily identifiable line between discussion and indoctrination.

One also has to allow for the auto post on many computers today which decides to make subtle alterations or interpretations of what is being written. A few times I have not been able to make sense of what I have written and when I go back to the original typing it has been changed and off in another direction as Ms Apple is trying to 'help me'.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Ummm...I totally agree...with one caveat...every post or thought expressed on this site is subjective...I find most amusing as you stated...the lofty claims of...FACT...predicated on a google search of someone else's opinion or research...

I much prefer an OP or discussion that reflects the individuals desire to comprehend an issue merely through the thought process...through the imagination...irregardless of whether I have any agreement with the subject matter...

Some here have a penchant to make other people appear less valid...as they preen and prattle on about how they brought these google snatched FACTS to the table...while all the other individual brought was curiosity and imagination and intellectual stimulation...
But those are the ones most vilified...while the ambulance chasing google gaggle stare them down from their self lofted positions of irony...

That my friend is the real reason I come here to play this game...It's an endless parade of amusement...as I watch the preening...that and the clique bait...

I actually like to delve into the emotional makeup of an individual...that way lies the core...the reality of the who that lies buried under all that...education...
That's why I like to write poetry...by design...it's intent is to manipulate emotion...

One needs to consider that it's really not so much an illustration of intent to manipulate...that fascinates...so much as it is the resonance of intent manipulation within the one that either consciously or subconsciously...decides...to be manipulated...
That to me is most fascinating indeed...

Yes...I did just coin another thought matrix..."Clique Bait"...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I stand corrected totally different poster
edit on 252016252016bam17 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...I totally agree...with one caveat...every post or thought expressed on this site is subjective...I find most amusing as you stated...the lofty claims of...FACT...predicated on a google search of someone else's opinion or research...

I much prefer an OP or discussion that reflects the individuals desire to comprehend an issue merely through the thought process...through the imagination...irregardless of whether I have any agreement with the subject matter...

Some here have a penchant to make other people appear less valid...as they preen and prattle on about how they brought these google snatched FACTS to the table...while all the other individual brought was curiosity and imagination and intellectual stimulation...
But those are the ones most vilified...while the ambulance chasing google gaggle stare them down from their self lofted positions of irony...

That my friend is the real reason I come here to play this game...It's an endless parade of amusement...as I watch the preening...that and the clique bait...

I actually like to delve into the emotional makeup of an individual...that way lies the core...the reality of the who that lies buried under all that...education...
That's why I like to write poetry...by design...it's intent is to manipulate emotion...

One needs to consider that it's really not so much an illustration of intent to manipulate...that fascinates...so much as it is the resonance of intent manipulation within the one that either consciously or subconsciously...decides...to be manipulated...
That to me is most fascinating indeed...

Yes...I did just coin another thought matrix..."Clique Bait"...

YouSir

Why do you constantly use ellipses in nearly every sentence you write?
You know that you aren't using them properly when you do that don't you?
You should be using commas or full stops.
They are rarely necessary in writing.
It's very odd.

Ellipsis is a series of dots (typically three, such as "…") that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.
Depending on their context and placement in a sentence, ellipses can indicate an unfinished thought, a leading statement, a slight pause, a mysterious or echoing voice, or a nervous or awkward silence.

Link

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I often write ill-formed, misguided and objectional posts on ATS.

Apologies.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Touche'

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I tend to agree. May are not researched, searched, studied and not well thought out...and some not even based on conjecture, fact, reality nor possibilities...though posted as though they were/are/could be.

Let alone after having never bothered reading the Ts and Cs about posting some....the "juvenile" one-or-two hit and runners have quadrupled the last few years Ive noticed. They tend to treat all forums the same.

That in itself is sad...especially here.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I often write ill-formed, misguided and objectional posts on ATS.

Apologies.

I do it all the time, on purpose.

Not because I'm trying to be objectionable, but because apparently, my opinions are objectionable.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I don't care so much about that as it is that people who "research" Google often only take the top link and don't bother to see if it actually says what they think it says. I am not talking necessarily about people here so much, but we have a notorious facebook "friend" who does this and ends up shooting himself in the foot more often than not and gets mad when you point it out.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Nice point, when people search google they use the top source as a reference and do not bother to read their own link.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsukoI agree. When I'm on ATS my wife always says" are you bothering the Yanks again"
On the subject a serious question. I thought that to start a post the you had to be on ATS a certain amount of time or a certain amount of replies? Yet there has been a plethora (oooh, I* like that word, I'll use it again, plethora) of posters say joining on 11th of April and on the same day producing a number of posts which to me are nothing but trollish (oooh another new word) nonsence yet they are getting stars and flags.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Ummm...I only use them when I communicate in forums on the internet...which is only at ATS BTW...
I don't use them when I write for publication or in any of my work...
I also only do it because I detest convention...I dislike anything to do with..."Inside the box"...group think...
I also do it simply because I wish to...
I also like to hear that imagined voice speaking the words...with elongated pauses between points...
I've always loved the way Peter O'Toole spoke while acting...
I suppose it's also just because that's how my mind...hears...

Those are my only excuses...
It's really not an effort to be cryptic...or overtly melodramatic...

I apologize if it makes you uncomfortable...
I seem to do that quite frequently simply by the topics I speak to...not usually by the manner used to express my opining...

Hope that helps your understanding...

Be well my friend...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ummm...you and everyone should constantly remember that most of what I write here...is "tongue in cheek"...

Please consider it like the churlish banter between friends...that's all it is...
I haven't met an individual here on this site that I could honestly say I didn't like...simply because I'm always imagining these conversations as the fun poking conversations that they should be...

I like you Ketsuko...just as I like every other person that writes or reads here...
None of you ever have to agree with me...or anything I spew onto the forums...
I will not however be that person that resents...or hates...or carries any negative emotion for you or anyone else...at least not past the 5 second rule...

It's true what I said in my post you referenced...I actually do like it much better if I'm communicating with someone that is attempting to puzzle out or understand by thought alone...
It's actually the same as stating that..."there's no such thing as a stupid question"

I'm also in the habit of never taking myself so seriously...that I would ever be in the position of looking askance...or down on any other person...I'm just not that important in the grand scheme of things...especially in my own eyes or mind...

Be well my friend...remember also the little winking dude I always borrow to end my posts with...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
* Iamnotadoctor* I would guess most people use eclipses as points of pause, or to let the idea settle in. I use them as pauses. Frankly, my style won't change, it suits me and is part of my writing style.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I post a few ridiculous posts from time to time.You get tired of all
the heavy doom and gloom stuff and need a distraction now and
then.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join