It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your tolerance for...ill-formed, misguided and objectional posts on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
At 53, I will say I am somewhat less tolerant of silly posts which seem to have some hidden meaning which the OP is, frankly, afraid to articulate.

I originally came to ATS because ATS, more than most, is a pretty intellectual place. I find myself becoming more intolerant of inane, emotional, tripe, which makes no sense what so ever. I do believe in welcoming all new members, and I believe in more participation, but there is a limit. I've found (recently) that there seams to be many more juvenile posts which are very "nanny-esque". I wonder why. Equally, there are many more posts which are well thought, researched and well written (I appreciate these), but at the same time there seams to be a lot of posts which are knee-jerk, emotional, posts about personal issues which just....well...fry my brain.

This is NOT a criticism of ATS, not at ALL! It is more just an observation of some recent contributions. Some of these contributions seem to be a psychological reach-out to justify some twisted belief or emotional need. I'm sorry, but this just doesn't compute with me.

Maybe I'm WAY off base here, and I sincerely apologize if I am, but it's what I see.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Are these in a particular forum or forums? Maybe you can avoid by not reading them.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Heh, I like your posts, but no...they are in no particular forum and I guess that's the point actually.

They seem to be randomly all over the place.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I think I may have seen a couple earlier today. I just don't finish reading them. It is annoying. Hopefully people will learn from better posters as they spend more time here.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
BTW...I am not complaining (hence not posting this in "rant"), but it does seem to be more prevalent.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I am very pragmatic and I respond poorly to emotional posts. I don't know if this is exactly what you mean, but I have a hard time empathizing with people that put feelings before facts.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I have little tolerance for general brain dead stupidity. When I hit that point, you'll know -- I don't mince words and/or get quite blunt.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I am very pragmatic and I respond poorly to emotional posts. I don't know if this is exactly what you mean, but I have a hard time empathizing with people that put feelings before facts.

I agree with you there. I find overly emotional stuff to be highly manipulative. I know that's the entire point (to emotionally manipulate the reader's opinion) but it's dishonest in conversations, IMO.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
When the reptillians and flat earthers arrive in droves, it can get quite frustrating. I think it is the contradiction between what the site purports to do: deny ignorance, and what it does not do: deny ignorance, that is particularly vexing. On a forum, anyone can play and there are no qualifications to participate.

But ONCE IN AWHILE you happen on a discussion filled with people who actually have erudite contributions to the subject, whether it's slayer on ancient civilizations or Isaac Koi on UFOs, once in awhile you can forego the Moon Hoaxers and Jesus Freaks for some worthwhile discussion. Wish it happened more often.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

You mention juvenile posts. I can see that.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

At 53, I will say I am somewhat less tolerant of silly posts which seem to have some hidden meaning which the OP is, frankly, afraid to articulate.

Well we're not supposed to tell what we really think are we? Just like you just alluded to silly posts but can't also bring them as examples.

Or say our real name, show a real photo of ourselves, give our street address.

Whats the complaint again? Oh, how to not be bothered by what complete strangers you never met say on the internet?

Individual tolerance may vary.
edit on 16-4-2016 by intrptr because: bb code and spelling

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

There is the Troll.
One who posts a deliberately provocative message on ATS or other message boards with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

1b. Noun
A person who, on a message forum of some type, attacks and flames other members of the forum for any of a number of reasons such as rank, previous disagreements, sex, status, ect.
A troll usually flames threads without staying on topic, unlike a "Flamer" who flames a thread because he/she disagrees with the content of the thread.

1c. Noun
A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others. Someone with nothing worthwhile to add to a certain conversation, but rather continually threadjacks or changes the subject, as well as thinks every member of the forum is talking about them and only them. Trolls often go by multiple names to circumvent getting banned.

Source

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Very well.

Carry on.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I hear what you're saying and my tolerance isn't very high. I'll have a conversation, provide my sources, but at the end of the day there are people who embrace ignorance and once I realized we hit that wall I just ignore them and move on with my life.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I hear what you're saying and my tolerance isn't very high. I'll have a conversation, provide my sources, but at the end of the day there are people who embrace ignorance and once I realized we hit that wall I just ignore them and move on with my life.

One persons ignorance can be another persons truth though, such as it is in the information age, we all decipher it differently.....so just because you think you are right does not necessarily mean you are

That is not directed at you personally btw....

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'm not quite sure of the way you are going. But maybe, if there is something that looks inane, why not simply ask the person why they think that way or why they said something, or even where did they get to where they are on any subject. Watch out though for the 'do your research guys' who speak in a retort, no matter how nicely or not they say that.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

No, facts are facts and ignorance is ignorance.

With that said, I agree anyone can be wrong and learn a thing or two but the people I'm talking about aren't into learning and accepting facts.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Some of these contributions seem to be a psychological reach-out to justify some twisted belief or emotional need. I'm sorry, but this just doesn't compute with me.

My apologizes.

1100+ posts and I just cant stop..

#bantucket

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Fair enough there are plenty of folks whom are stuck in their ways of thinking....

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Depends on how lucid it is.

A well written, thoughtful post on a topic that I consider to be utterly insane will still get me thinking and responding even if it's just a total thought exercise because I find it fun. I like to play imagination games and I like to posit what-if as much as the next person.

Of course, the best conspiracies are the ones that actually have a chance of being true, but the others can be entertaining for their own reasons.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join