It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Man Pleads Guilty: Lied to Red Cross For 9/11 Benefits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
A Fort Lauderdale man, Patric Ian Henn pleaded guilty in court yesterday to lying to collect 9/11 benefits offered by organizations in New York and Broward County. Henn concocted a story claiming his partner died in the World Trade Center 9/11 disaster and managed to collect $68,000 in benefits from the American Red Cross. His scam fell apart when he tried to get a local Gay & Lesbian newspaper to run a sympathetic story on his "story". The newspaper exposed holes in his story and Henn fled the state. He was arrested in 2003 and again in 2004 after he failed to report to court.

www.sun-sentinel.com
Henn, 29, pleaded guilty Wednesday to a grand theft charge, admitting he concocted a tale of heartbreak so he could bilk the nonprofit organization.

His plea came without a deal in place with prosecutors. Henn's decision means it will be up to Broward Circuit Court Judge Marc Gold to determine his sentence at a Jan. 19 hearing. He could face up to 15 years in prison.

During Wednesday's five-minute appearance, Henn told Gold that he thought pleading guilty to the charge was the right thing to do. There was no discussion about what happened to the money, and no American Red Cross representatives attended the hearing.

He had claimed his domestic partner of four years, Jeff John Anderson, was in a meeting at a World Trade Center brokerage house the morning of the 9-11 attack. Henn filed a missing-persons report for Anderson with the New York City Police Department two days after the twin towers fell and began trying to get death benefits in New York and Broward County.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have wondered about frauds surrounding 9/11 in which families rightfully entitled to benefits were perhaps being cheated by others who fraudently made claims, this is the first story I have found that proved that even in tragedy the worst of humans can still be found. I hope the judge throws the book at this guy and put him away for a long time and demands him to payback the Red Cross.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I'm sure there is a ton of fraud. the 9/11 tradegy made instant millionares out of many people who, let's be frank, did not deserve the amount of money they got. Of course its too politically incorrect to bring up. Loss of loved ones is sad but people lose relatives everyday due to unfortunate events. Many of the 9/11 "victims" made out like bandits.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
sadly Apoc, I do believe you're right. I have always thought it, but seeing proof helps. Unfortunately most of the "victims" will not be investigated, or will they? I hope there are enough checks and balances in place to eventually catch up with the frauds.

join