It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Autopsy Project - One of the Worst ideas I have seen in a long time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Social Autopsy Project - One of the Worst ideas I have seen in a long time

Project

A now suspended Kickstarter project aims at allowing the publishing of social media bits along with name and employer of the publisher.

This is basically doxing. Why do these project starters think their idea is original? As if nobody has thought of it before, then consulted their lawyers and realized it is one big legal NO GO.

Kickstarter has suspended a fundraising campaign for a site that would have exposed online bullies to the world in a way that many critics have called glorified doxing. According to the now-suspended Kickstarter campaign, it would have been a searchable database where anyone could look up the names of friends, family members, coworkers, or strangers and see their online activities.

Source

One question: What happens if your site accidentally links the wrong person with the wrong profile? Can they comment on the site to ask for a correction or clarification? Nope, but it does get worse. Important to note: We do not allow any commenting on our site because we do not want to host a platform for any bullying ourselves [Except the kind we decide to promote. You know, the whole “calling people mean names thing is bad unless we do it” thing] To keep this clear, that bracketed comment is mine, and now I’ve got another question. Has Social Autopsy’s totally fun team heard of a thing called “false light invasion of privacy,” or have you spent all your capital collecting data on people who might be able to spare you from an “epic fail?” If you’re still reading, you’ve probably guessed the answer to my question. “It gets worse.”

Source

Though I know little of this blogger, she wrote an open letter to the creator of social autopsy and makes some good points.

In your video FAQ, you stated that you thought this site — which will become a platform for doxing — is great for children. Not only is it really not a good culture fit with the way teenagers use the internet, but this would also be illegal. COPPA protects children, and you should probably talk to a lawyer.

You stated that the current site has a fake database with dummy data. Those people are real. I manually verified a few of them by doing a reverse google image search. The complete list has already been doxed on some #ty troll board. You are responsible for this happening. This is your fault.

You said that each submission will be reviewed. Your current platform allows anyone to submit information about another person, and that content is immediately posted with no review. In fact, someone exploited this functionality to upload an image called index.jpg, which due to your #ty coding allowed someone to make your front page antisemitic.

Source

At one point the creator even showed complete ignorance when it came to what "robot.txt" is and does. To those who do not know, it is a small text file that allows a site to tell a legitimate search engine spider what to catalogue and more importantly what not to catalogue.
She makes the statement that the database will not be searchable through search engines, yet has little to no knowledge of even the basics of site security.

It appears little to no verification of posts or information will be done.

When will this ill conceived idea or variations of it end? One of these days one of these ignorant people are going to succeed in creating a site like this and then what?

Are we going to have to spend large chunks of are time going through site after site like this?

edit on 16-4-2016 by Dreamwatcher because: Grammer

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Dreamwatcher

Why would any sane person even post on a site like that?

Stupid, stupid idea.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

People have been trying to create a "People reputation" site for years.

Facebook was supposed to have that sort of functionality, but quickly discontinued it because of the legal ramifications.

I do believe people WANT some such site, because people don't want to take the time to gauge another human for themselves, and are easily swayed on opinions of one person by another.

We are rapidly throwing away the very things that make us human for the ability to be able to catalog, and categorize each other into nifty neat little boxes.

a reply to: Metallicus

There you go again, Metallicus, presuming people are sane.

If anything, the few are sane, the rest are just mindless lemmings.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Why would any sane person even post on a site like that?

Stupid, stupid idea.

I don't think the 'sane' are the target market for something like this. Wouldn't a sane person just type "Get Bent" or words to that effect and be done with it? Now an in-sane person would want something like this to seek & destroy any detractors.
Plus, I understand the in-sane have an easier time in getting credit or maybe it was "You have to be cray cray to buy that crap..."

namaste

P.S. To prove I'm not a nut... "Get Bent" hahahaha

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

because the internati0nalists who run the world, want to continue to run the world, and our mighty republic, stands in their way.

top topics

join