It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders releases his tax returns...click here for his effective tax rate...it's a doozy!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Embarrassing? For showing what a hypocrite he is? What is embarrassing is the knowledge of taxes in this thread.

Bernie is the knight for the poor and he is using the same deductions/workarounds that cause the rich to not pay enough taxes and you agree with it because it is him. I am for a flat or fair tax. Reduce payroll taxes not add to them.

I am tired of these loopholes for everyone. Like the single parent on assistance who pays no taxes and gets a huge refund. The wealthy who effectively do not pay tax after paying someone 10's of thousands to not pay taxes.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Embarrassing? For showing what a hypocrite he is?

You have yet to show what he is being hypocritical about. What specific deductions is he taking, that us common folk do not also take, that the rich benefit from and he claims to want to do away with?

Bernie is the knight for the poor and he is using the same deductions/workarounds that cause the rich to not pay enough taxes and you agree with it because it is him.

Agree with him on what, exactly? It appears to me that Bernie simply took the same sort of deductions many of us also take advantage of.

I am for a flat or fair tax. Reduce payroll taxes not add to them.

That is not the topic of the OP.

I am tired of these loopholes for everyone.

Ok, talk to your state representatives and do something about it.

The wealthy who effectively do not pay tax after paying someone 10's of thousands to not pay taxes.

And that is precisely not what Bernie did. You sort of defeated your own argument there.
edit on 16-4-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

And you still don't understand how taxes and deductions work.

Do you expect him (or anyone else) NOT to take deductions that they are eligible for???

We have our main house and a cabin. Tax code says that we can deduct our mortgage interest - for both places. We can also deduct a portion of property taxes for each.

Plus there is the 'standard' deduction that everyone can take.

So, matafuchs, let me ask you:
- Do you take the standard deduction for your tax returns? Or do you decline that and pay extra? If you do take it, and don't pay extra, you are a hypocrite.

- Did YOU donate $8k to charity last year? Maybe you don't make as much as Bernie (which really ISN'T that much) so did you pay 4% of your income?

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TommyD1966

I understand taxes and deductions. You are talking about yourself, not Bernie Sanders.

According to his financial affidavit.

He owns one rental property he could claim certain rental expenses on.
He has no investments or stocks.
He has a mortgage of less than 50k on a condo.

He does not take a standard deduction. He Itemized 55k which reduces his taxable wage to the lower threshold. He really lucks out as he can deduct what he is already paying in state taxes.

I would hope YOU are itemizing as you make it sound as if all you can do is a standard and it is one or the other?

edit on 04pm30pmf0000002016-04-16T14:39:47-05:000247 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

edit on 04pm30pmf0000002016-04-16T14:45:52-05:000252 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
13.5%

That's it! While the average person pays over 28% it seems the man fighting for income equality is not practicing what he preaches. He wants to hurt the investors in the pocket but he would be hurting himself...and his wife.

www.wsj.com...

He is not even doing himself what he wants to do to the entire US. Tax brackets may not change but added taxes are there.

The 2014 return added context to Mr. Sanders’s charitable contributions and his wife’s business income. The returns show that Mr. Sanders gave $8,350 to charity. The returns don’t list the recipients. The return also showed Jane Sanders earning $4,900 for her work as a commissioner on the Texas Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Compact Commission. The family earned $156,411 in wages and collected an additional $39,281 in Social Security benefits. They paid $27,653 for an effective tax rate of 13.5%.

There is a simple truth here. He never had it and now he does. This happens a lot with the have nots who suddenly have like Bernie. He jets to the Vatican when he could have done the same speech in Bed-Sty and he could have quoted the pope. He should have said he was invited and stayed with the people, but, like this tax return, it shows, again, he is simply one of them and not us. He uses the same loopholes he wants to take away from hardworking business owners and the middle class.

And what is Trump's? Oops, we may never know. Some of hid debt is 'discharged' as well.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Yes, of course we do itemize.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Bernie is opposed to deductions and loopholes that keep money from the government.

Bernie used deductions and loopholes to keep money from the government.

Do I blame him? No. Any rational person will try to keep as much of their money as possible.

It is pretty funny watching all the Bernie zealots spin spin spin, though.

edit on 16-4-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

a reply to: TommyD1966

I understand taxes and deductions. You are talking about yourself, not Bernie Sanders.

According to his financial affidavit.

He owns one rental property he could claim certain rental expenses on.
He has no investments or stocks.
He has a mortgage of less than 50k on a condo.

He does not take a standard deduction. He Itemized 55k which reduces his taxable wage to the lower threshold. He really lucks out as he can deduct what he is already paying in state taxes.

I would hope YOU are itemizing as you make it sound as if all you can do is a standard and it is one or the other?

So..what did he do with all the money he made for the last 30yrs?.

Doesn't he get an allowance as a senator for his office expenses too?

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
Bernie is opposed to deductions and loopholes that keep money from the government.

Bernie used deductions and loopholes to keep money from the government.

Do I blame him? No. Any rational person will try to keep as much of their money as possible.

It is pretty funny watching all the Bernie zealots spin spin spin, though.

No, he's not against normal deductions. Which is all he is reporting.

He's also not using any loopholes or any tax avoiding tricks like the kind he's trying to stop.

Here's his deductions.

$22,946 on home mortgage interest
$14,843 on real estate taxes
$9,666 on state and local income taxes
$8,000 in gifts to charity
$350 in gifts to charity other than by cash or check
$4,473 in unreimbursed job expenses, which according to tax law can include fees such as union dues and travel

Show me the big shady loopholes there please.

You people are out of your f*cking minds with your quest to find some dirty secret with Sanders. It's absolutely hilarious to watch you on your stupid little missions to get Bernie while at the same time kissing the ass of the wealthy who sh*t on you daily until your lips are chapped. You people are priceless entertainment. Really.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
To think the liberals were all up in arms that Romney only paid 14%, but then again he gave almost 5 million to charity that year.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

You get it.....point is that if you preach for something you better follow along.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

It is probably in the Panama papers...

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

a reply to: Teikiatsu

You get it.....point is that if you preach for something you better follow along.

He has not been preaching about the deductions you and I (and himself) take.

That's been the point you have purposely overlooked.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

No, that is the point which they totally misrepresent, intentionally misreport, deceptively lie about and in every possible way spin dramatically to suit their moronic agenda.

Purposely overlooking something is acting like you didn't see the dirty dish in the sink so you can avoid having to wash it. They are pretending to not even know that something called a kitchen exists and to have never seen a house before.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

The point is he's been talking about how the rich dont pay their fair share, but he's rich and doesn't pay his fair share.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: introvert

No, that is the point which they totally misrepresent, intentionally misreport, deceptively lie about and in every possible way spin dramatically to suit their moronic agenda.

Purposely overlooking something is acting like you didn't see the dirty dish in the sink so you can avoid having to wash it. They are pretending to not even know that something called a kitchen exists and to have never seen a house before.

I stand corrected.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

The point is he's been talking about how the rich dont pay their fair share, but he's rich and doesn't pay his fair share.

He is not rich. $150k a year in income is piss in a bucket, relatively speaking.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

According to the household numbers he is in the top 5% of earners, so yea he's rich.

mobile.abc.net.au...
edit on 16-4-2016 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

According to the household numbers he is in the top 5% of earners, so yea he's rich.

$150k annual income with only 1/2 million total assets is not rich.

And he preaches about the 1%, does he not? Where is the hypocrisy?
edit on 16-4-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I am not vouching for Bernie Sanders her but what I will say after a reading a little into this is that the man reported his income approprietly, filed his returns and what he paid is what the tax system currently in place demanded he paid.

I dont know what this guys plan is but whatever it is, is not the way it is now. All he is doing in my books is respecting the process that he wants to change.

If you earned 90,000 at 20%, you would pay 18k in tax.

If your earned 95,000 at 25% you would pay more than 23k

You wouldnt make a dollar if you had a 5k raise on 90k

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join