It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's Says its Wage Hikes Are Improving Service

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: TerryDon79

a reply to: TerryDon79

I was making a point about how ridiculously easy it is to get a felony in this country. You can get a felony for driving too fast.

I still think it's besides the point.

Most companies, if you explain what the felony is, don't have a problem with the outdated things.

Small businesses MAYBE, but that's a BIG maybe. Most businesses that have multiple candidates for a position will usually stop looking at an application if the felony box is checked, if you don't believe that you are wrong.

I never said that.

I know how it works. If I have 5 candidates and 1 has a felony, but has the most relevant education and work history, they'll get hired (depending on the felony of course).
edit on 1842016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Good attempt at deflection.

How was that a deflection?

If a business doesn't offer any services, a consumer doesn't have anything to purchase.

But like I said a few posts ago, today people aren't interested so much in what they need, rather what they want.

How many of those burger flippers, working 40 hours a week, do you reckon could survive if they didn't have tv bills, internet bills, phone bills, car etc?

Wants vs Needs.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Look if you have no customer then you have no business so you have no choice to but to deliver a product that ensures customer satisfaction.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Really?

Let's dig a hole for them to live in with a thatched roof meanwhile the CEO is buying four mansions and two yachts that he flys back and forth to in his private jet.

Let's just chain put them in chain and make them work or get beat.

Burger flippers are that low.
edit on 4/18/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

It doesn't need to ensure customer satisfaction at all. All it's about is satisfying customers needs for that product.

BTW.
McDonalds wage is $8.45 an hour.
8.45x40=338.
Minus taxes you'll be looking around $250 a week. That's $1000 a month.

People can and do survive on that, but those people tend to not have the internet, cars, tvs and so on.

You're talking about hiking the wage up so people can have more money. They don't NEED more money, they WANT more money to buy more things.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Really?

Let's dig a hole for them to live in with a thatched roof meanwhile the CEO is buying four mansions and two yachts that he flys back and forth to in his private jet.

Let's just chain put them in chain and make them work or get beat.

Burger flippers are that low.

And that has what to do with what I posted?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

It doesn't need to ensure customer satisfaction at all. All it's about is satisfying customers needs for that product.

Do I even?

I'm not even addressing the rest of your post because your a disgusting human being advocating slavery.
edit on 4/18/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Do I even?

I'm not even addressing the rest of your post because your a disgusting human being advocating slavery.

False equivalency.

Slaves can't CHOOSE to be a slave or CHOOSE to leave.

McDonalds workers CHOOSE to work there and can CHOOSE to leave.
edit on 1842016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

People always underestimate the fragile nature of their own life. It doesn't matter how skillful a person is in the moment, that skill could be wiped out in an instant by accident or illness. One wrong move or errant microbe and that useful life in an able body is over.

If people only have value because of what they can do, then we have a world were young children, the disabled, and the elderly are essentially worthless. The young children we abort, the elderly we shuffle to old-age homes (if they're lucky...but society is heading toward assisted suicide, because...you know, it's "kind" to offer "humane" options). The disabled we abort if we can and, again, shuffle off to an institution if they can't earn their keep.

If human life is not viewed as sacrosanct and human worth is measured only by utility..... we're @#$@#ed.

I'm not sure how much things have or haven't changed in 20 years. Maybe the liberal vs. conservative mudslinging has upped the ante.

That said, this is a very ugly path to pursue. History and literature provide a witness to this.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I was making a point about how ridiculously easy it is to get a felony in this country. You can get a felony for driving too fast.

Most companies, if you explain what the felony is, don't have a problem with the outdated things.

Small businesses MAYBE, but that's a BIG maybe. Most businesses that have multiple candidates for a position will usually stop looking at an application if the felony box is checked, if you don't believe that you are wrong.

I never said that.

I know how it works. If I have 5 candidates and 1 has a felony, but has the most relevant education and work history, they'll get hired (depending on the felony of course).

That's you personally, the usual thing that happens the majority of the time is the application is tossed regardless. Partly for the reason you mentioned earlier, insurance costs.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: SisterDelirium

This is why I'm moving away from population centers.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I never said that.

That's you personally, the usual thing that happens the majority of the time is the application is tossed regardless. Partly for the reason you mentioned earlier, insurance costs.

I'm not completely disagreeing either. I personally think that any past felony that is no longer classed as a felony should be wiped from your (or anyone elses) record as it has no standing on the way things are today.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Can't say I blame you. I wish I could.

Since I can't, I'm going back for a second degree in nursing. We'll see how that goes. I used to work as an adviser for a nonprofit (no comment here, other than to say these experiences bruised my soul and chilled me to the core) and later, for an education company who claimed to really care about developing human potential globally. (This turned out to mean: charging high fees for mediocre educational tools to poor countries and outsourcing a lot of work to sweatshops while laying off more and more workers in Western nations).

I'm holding out some small hope that I might be able to be useful 1 on 1, caring for people in person and physically doing something to at least help whoever I'm with at the moment. At least it's not a desk job and hopefully would be an opportunity to do good without harming others in the process.

It still boggles my mind that these crazy systems chug along the way they do. I'm completely convinced humanity could do better by the planet and all the living things in it...including fellow humans. No system would ever be perfect, but it could be much better.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SisterDelirium

I love teaching boxing but it's hard because people have no loyalty today.

You put so much effort into people and they just bounce around from gym to gym.

When I start boxing I stick with the same Trainer for my entire career and gym bouncing was seriously frowned upon.

Now it's really common.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

a reply to: TommyD1966

And is the majority shareholder of Macdonalds the guy who start the company?

Just curious.

No, not anymore. Ray Kroc died a while ago.

But founders often will sell part (all) of their equity. That's normal. Maybe they sell some control to get a cash infusion to grow (so they have a smaller percentage of a larger number) or sell to diversify, etc.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TommyD1966

www.washingtonpost.com...

As you can see the greediness of Macdonalds business owners makes it nearly impossible for franchise owners to make money out of their poorly constructed business model as well.

Do you think the franchise owners deserve a little cash?

Seems like a bad investment to me how do they stay in business?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

In talking to my priest, he told me I really needed to stop expecting things from people which they aren't capable of in terms of caring, emotional response, reciprocity, and relationship.

I think our current culture really diminishes the capacity of people to care about much beyond the end of one's own nose. Most of us are disconnected from each other in so many ways. It's hard to find community, a lot of families aren't even really close to each other. Of course, it's not always the case, there are still close families and pockets of community, but the overarching theme seems to be one of disconnect from all the best things about being human (family, community, sense of belonging, purpose beyond self, etc).

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

a reply to: Subaeruginosa

In my mind it's reprehensible to have someone working for less than what they need to survive on.

If someone HAS CHOSEN to work for less than what they need to survive on, they're not using their noggin. In America, (thank-you Obama!) you can get more in cash and benefits by NOT WORKING, than you get by working at McDonalds!

I read that in Hawaii, the total cash/benefits package for those on public aid is now up to $62,000 a year. Why be a slave at McDonalds, when you can be a free man/woman, and live comfortably, courtesy of your wonderful country!?!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: feedmemore

Well he's had to work really terrible jobs and gone through a lot. Such as working at a fast food restaurant. So, your statement, which seems to basically say, "People who work at McDonalds live in their parents house, don't pay rent and are losers." It's just not true man and we need to look beyond what we perceive. I'm not trying to be all PC, I just wanted to say in this particular case, those assumptions shouldn't be made. We need to look at all of the reasons grown people work at places like that. I'm sure a lot is because some people are lazy, but the main problem is our economy. When you're mom/grandma and mine have to go back to work at Walmart, McDonalds or whatever at 70 when they retired after working their entire lives, there's something seriously wrong. And it needs to be addressed.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
What I just don't get is that people truly do not understand the economics of raising low skilled position to a semi skilled rate. Most franchises earn about a 6% gross margin. That's .06¢ on the dollar. McDonalds are run by franchisers, NOT MCDONALDS. They are entrepreneurs that took a financial risk on a business model that in the past, was fed by labor from young adults or teens getting their first work experience. They served cheap food and in order to maintain a low cost, those low skilled positions were PT high school kids. Now we are asking them to continue to provide cheap food, but at gourmet prices.

This will be unsustainable for these franchise owners and they will either be forced to reduce staff and service to mitigate cost or they will need to automate to keep service higher and pay for higher wages which also will lead to less jobs.

With this being said, once we decide to go down this rabbit hole, what then happens to those skilled positions that are paying at or near this new minimum wage? Economics dictates that those positions will require a bump as well.

Eventually what takes place is that we will encounter an inflation boom and in the long run, we will be right back at square 1 as that $15 mark will be considered a "non-living wage ".

Just like those who complain about the wage earned by people whom work at Walmart. It was US consumers that demanded these as we wanted that 60" plasma TV for $600 rather than living within our own means and buying quality versus quantity. Walmart filled the need that we demanded and now we are complaining that they do not pay their people well enough.

Rather than complain about what Walmart pays their employees, do not buy the crap they sell. Buy quality and pay more for items that will last you years longer than the crap that comes from Walmart. Support those companies that produce well made equipment and goods and support their employees who are generally paid a MUCH higher wage as those companies have less attrition. Quit trying to beat the Jones'es with bigger, brighter, more stuff!

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join