It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's Says its Wage Hikes Are Improving Service

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: TerryDon79

The low skilled workers should just get good paying jobs at manufacturi.....oh wait, I forgot about NAFTA.

And that's exactly why I said they can further their education.

It's not bloody rocket science. You want a better paid job you have to work for it. Nothings handed to you on a plate.

Been there, done that. Had the crappy jobs so I could get a better education so I could get a better job.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

originally posted by: Bedlam
Some jobs are not worth making a living wage. They are for learning how to work. It's a kid's job.

Let's put this personal opinion that people try to tout as fact to rest.

Why are these jobs that are intended for kids open during school hours? When have they EVER operated ONLY when kids aren't in school?

They never have. Kinda hard to be a job for kids when kids are in school...

Never heard of college, university or part time school?

I sure have, but everyone likes to push it as a job for high school kids. Those basically all run on the same timeframe. The last restaurant I managed, if I could only hire students (college students included), I wouldn't have had enough staff to operate during all business hours. We would have had to shut down almost all weekday mornings. After 8pm? Forget about it, laws prevent high school kids from working too late.

Plain and simple there is no such thing as a "job intended for kids". It's a cop-out answer, and a really bad one at that. Work is work, if you cannot pay people a decent wage, shut your doors and go work for someone who can.

Or employ people who don't want to further their education and are happy at working there.

Do you really think that's the case for all people? Do you know the stats for how many Americans have felonies? And that even with an advanced education, having a felony will keep you from getting hired pretty much anywhere you apply that someone else also applies?

Narrow-minded thinking at it's finest.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Don't even try to make a logically driven argument it's a simple fact.

If you work to make a company hundreds of millions of dollars you can at the very least get paid enough to buy food and housing with.

How is this not common sense?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Their fighting for better wages and I support their position.

On ethical and moral grounds.

So if I work for you and you pay me $10 an hour and I decide that I want more you should pay me more because I said so?

Like I said, people know the wage before they start working. It's their own faults if it isn't enough.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Some jobs are not worth making a living wage. They are for learning how to work. It's a kid's job.

Why are these jobs that are intended for kids open during school hours? When have they EVER operated ONLY when kids aren't in school?

I sure have, but everyone likes to push it as a job for high school kids. Those basically all run on the same timeframe. The last restaurant I managed, if I could only hire students (college students included), I wouldn't have had enough staff to operate during all business hours. We would have had to shut down almost all weekday mornings. After 8pm? Forget about it, laws prevent high school kids from working too late.

Plain and simple there is no such thing as a "job intended for kids". It's a cop-out answer, and a really bad one at that. Work is work, if you cannot pay people a decent wage, shut your doors and go work for someone who can.

Or employ people who don't want to further their education and are happy at working there.

Do you really think that's the case for all people? Do you know the stats for how many Americans have felonies? And that even with an advanced education, having a felony will keep you from getting hired pretty much anywhere you apply that someone else also applies?

Quite simple really. Don't do the crime to get a criminal record. Then you can get a better education to get a better job.

Problem solved.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I wouldn't pay you 10$ an hour.

I helped my dad manage a flooring company and our lowest payed employee made 12.50 an hour with no experience.

We took a loss on a lot of our jobs but we had happy employees and went to sleep knowing that we did the right thing regardless of the economic books in college said about how a business is suppose to be run.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Sure kids! Sign up for an overpriced education! You will only be 50-100k in debt, but on the bright side you will still have to deal with competition in the job market! But wait, there's more! TPP/TTIP is being enacted as we speak, so you might have your job outsourced at any moment, and on top of losing your job you might have to train your replacement!

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I wouldn't pay you 10$ an hour.

I helped my dad manage a flooring company and our lowest payed employee made 12.50 an hour with no experience.

We took a loss on a lot of our jobs but we had happy employees and went to sleep knowing that we did the right thing regardless of the economic books in college said about how a business is suppose to be run.

So if that businesses take enough losses because of the wage increase, what do you think happens to that business? It no longer exists.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

With a 500 or more million dollar profit margin they can afford to pay more and operate just fine.

The reason construction isn't as profitable as it used to be is because illegal labor enables contractors to bid lower and big companies can bid even lower on commercial jobs because they get cheaper material cost and can put the money for a job upfront.

edit on 4/18/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Quite simple really. Don't do the crime to get a criminal record. Then you can get a better education to get a better job.

Problem solved.

WOW!!!!!!! wow, give me a minute here, just wow....

Ok, I had to read and re-read to look for any hint of sarcasm...none detected.

I have a felony myself for something that is no longer a crime. I guess I was just born too early. I should have known better and not been born. It's completely my fault.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

If you work to make a company hundreds of millions of dollars you can at the very least get paid enough to buy food and housing with.

It isn't common business sense. A business operates for a single reason - to make money for the owners/shareholders.

Businesses don't exist to provide jobs. Jobs are created by businesses, yes. Businesses hire people to meet their own ends, they aren't charities (I'm talking about for-profit businesses here).

Does it suck that a CEO can make 100x more than the burger flipper? Sure-especially if you are the burger flipper. But that is how capitalism works.

You keep arguing that your point of view is correct. No, it isn't, it is only your point of view. There will be those who agree with you, and those who don't.

Start/expand you own company and pay people whatever you want, but you don't get to enforce your ideas on other business owners.

link   

He's perfect can't you tell?

He's better looking too.

He's probably commit ten felpnies in his lifetime just hasn't gotten caught yet.

link   

Sure kids! Sign up for an overpriced education! You will only be 50-100k in debt, but on the bright side you will still have to deal with competition in the job market! But wait, there's more! TPP/TTIP is being enacted as we speak, so you might have your job outsourced at any moment, and on top of losing your job you might have to train your replacement!

Sarcasm, clever.

Basically you're arguing against raising the wages because the jobs are going to get replaced anyway.

link   

I agree with you bro

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TommyD1966

where do you get off thinking that the shareholders are the most important part of the equation?

Completely illogical.

The customer is the most important part of the equation and guess what... Without employees you don't have any customers.

Common sense people.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

No, I'm FOR raising wages, and AGAINST trade agreements that have murdered the middle class of America. Maybe we should outsource congress and the president, we could get much better workers at pennies on the dollar!

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Problem solved.

WOW!!!!!!! wow, give me a minute here, just wow....

Ok, I had to read and re-read to look for any hint of sarcasm...none detected.

I have a felony myself for something that is no longer a crime. I guess I was just born too early. I should have known better and not been born. It's completely my fault.

I have no idea what you're on about. Well done?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I was making a point about how ridiculously easy it is to get a felony in this country. You can get a felony for driving too fast.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

No, I'm FOR raising wages, and AGAINST trade agreements that have murdered the middle class of America. Maybe we should outsource congress and the president, we could get much better workers at pennies on the dollar!

What's the point of raising the wages? You've already said the jobs are going to get outsourced anyway, so there is no reason to raise wages.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

At least try to make sense.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join