It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelin Lets the Air Out of Future Tire Innovation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
DETROIT, Jan. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Today at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) Michelin showcased a potential future for mobility, an integrated tire and wheel combination missing one ingredient that is vital for traditional tire performance ... air. The company unveiled the first real- world fitments for its revolutionary "Tweel" -- which operates entirely without air.
"Major revolutions in mobility may come along only once in a hundred years," said Terry Gettys, president of Michelin Americas Research and Development Center in Greenville, S.C. "But a new century has dawned and Tweel has proven its potential to transform mobility. Tweel enables us to reach levels of performance that quite simply aren't possible with today's conventional pneumatic technology."

www.wtoctv.com...

This will be totally weird and awesome at the same time.
To see photo : www.engadget.com...

Would any of you use this tweel? I know I would.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Cool inovation really, no more flat tires(although its a pitty that excuse won't be usable again for tardiness at work and school :p)

I do wonder though how safe it is in case of a shreded profile surface, will the thing hold, or will it come apart leaving you with pieces of tire flying around and a messed up rim.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Nice find, it seems like a really simple and effective idea, it's one of those "Oh yeah, why didn't I think of that?" things. Can't wait to see it on the streets, although reading the article stating the military want it first it'll probably end up incorporated into some black project and never seen again heh.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This reminds me of the design used on the moon buggies. I dont see how it would be feasable to have air-filled tires in a vacuum! They would EXPLODE! It seems to use a simmilar technology, the springy plastic spokes while the rover used a springy metal mesh. I wonder if this is where they got the idea.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I think I'll wait and see how well those spokes hold up to a Chicago winter of sub zero temperatures and bottomless potholes.

And they have to change the name. "tweel?" sheesh.

new topics

top topics

join