It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Rights Hypocrisy: Bryan Adams boycotts Mississippi, has no problem doing shows in Egypt

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I have no issue with him protesting a state that has offended his feeling on gay rights.
He took a stand and made a decision.

I would now like to hear him explain why he is not protesting a country that has a far worse record of denying gays rights.

He is foreign to both countries.
His moralities should apply to both.

I don't agree with this.

IMO - - America and Canada are pretty much linked. They tend to go hand-in-hand. Different countries, but not "foreign".

There are plenty of humanitarian groups working in the third world countries, who have theocratic governments, to bring about change in acceptance and equality.

The young-at-heart in Third World countries also need cultural diversity, need cultural influence, need hope, need escape.

They are not America or Canada where we are mostly free. We should have full equality.

Religious belief in this country should not be taking away equality from those who are not of their belief.

edit on 15-4-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: Annee

In my opinion, I don't want to give my money to anyone that don't like me on my appearance only so if they want to discriminate against me, I'll go elsewhere. I've never been much of a believer in forcing things on people unless it'll physically harm them. Either way, this law in discussion won't hurt my feelings regardless of which direction it goes so I'm not concerned with it.

I don't agree.

I lived before Fair Housing, Civil Rights Act, Disability Act, Women's Rights, etc.

ALL those had to be forced. And it was right to force them.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Because the other countries will tell him that if he don't like it, stay the frack out.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Right, but you can't choose whether or not you're black, disabled, male, or female.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Right, but you can't choose whether or not you're black, disabled, male, or female.

LGBT is a birth right - - same as color of your skin, eye color, etc.

You believing that or not - - has no baring on the facts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good article I found.

Article is dated 2/18/15 (the science might have various dates)

Sex redefined. The idea of two sexes is simplistic. Biologists now think there is a wider spectrum than that.

This is the last paragraph. So if the law requires that a person is male or female, should that sex be assigned by anatomy, hormones, cells or chromosomes, and what should be done if they clash? “My feeling is that since there is not one biological parameter that takes over every other parameter, at the end of the day, gender identity seems to be the most reasonable parameter,” says Vilain. In other words, if you want to know whether someone is male or female, it may be best just to ask.

www.nature.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Maybe you didn't read my entire post, so I'll post the part that addresses your post.

Just don't whine when your treated the same way, especially with all these snowflake threads as of late

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It's funny that people listen care what famous people do.

he's just probably really doesn't care about the issue, but is suffering from group think, he's acting how he thinks the group wants him to.

If it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: thinline

He's Canadian. We've had a much more equitable relationship with the gay community for decades. Believe it or not but not everyone is a bigot.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

bypassing the fact that there's some who will deny that the homosexual chooses what he is....
it seems to be irrelevant also...
since the whole issue is weather or not gov't laws can trump you religious right to belief, and deny you the right to act accordingly.

Fair Housing, Civil Rights Act, Disability Act, Women's Rights, the gov't intervened in these areas because people were chosing groups of people to deny one thing or another, and I do believe that in three of those cases, religious arguments were being used to stand against the gov't's actions. ya know, many in the south still don't really believe that the women should be working, or that there should be interracial marriages, or that blacks and whites should be intermingling? if a person's religious views can be used to deny the homosexual a job, then why should it not be allowed as a reason to refuse to hire women? or rent to an interracial couple, ect.

it all boils down to a religious belief, and weather that belief should trump a person the right to something that is extended to everyone else. and well weather or not it is important enough for the gov't or it's courts to intervene.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: jjkenobi

Bryan Adams is a businessman. He has the right to ply his trade however and wherever he see's fit.

It's called capitalism....

You got a problem with that?

Nope. You are absolutely correct. That's his right. Just like I have the right to never listen to another song of his again. Just like I have not listened to the Dixie Chicks for a long time.
If more people understood that, there would be fewer problems.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: jjkenobi

Bryan Adams is a businessman. He has the right to ply his trade however and wherever he see's fit.

It's called capitalism....

And people have the right to criticize him and callout his hypocrisy.

It's called freedom of speech...

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Just like I have not listened to the Dixie Chicks for a long time.

Why? I know why I don't listen to them. I'm a metalhead. Why you?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

No, LGBT is an identifier and a moniker.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: thinline

He's Canadian. We've had a much more equitable relationship with the gay community for decades. Believe it or not but not everyone is a bigot.

Decades?

Canada just passed their transgender bathroom legislation three years ago.

And there was strong opposition.
edit on 15-4-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

No, LGBT is an identifier and a moniker.

NO

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

I'm not whining, I'm pointing out your hypocrisy.

Fundamentally, there is no difference here aside from the reasons for refusal. In a nutshell, you are agreeing with one group and not the other. I think either both groups can do this or neither group can.

In other words, fine. Let Bryan Adams stay up in Canada and be Canadian Screaming Guy (our high school's nickname for him), but if you are fine with him doing this, then you are fine with every other person who objects to participating in an event on moral grounds, too.

And if you aren't, then you need to examine why that is because there is no real difference other than your own personal morality at work. And if your own morality is the only reason you are bent on shoving a practice and behavior down someone else's throat, then it sort of blows up the whole "how dare you shove your morality down my throat arguement" because now you find out that you are completely capable of it too.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Actually, most people are bigots. All you have to do is be intolerant to someone elses beliefs which, by definition, makes Adams a bigot. And if he was really that upset over gay rights, he wouldn't have held concerts in extremely anti-gay countries.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Meanwhile in Canada, pervert's dreams have com true.

Sexual predator jailed after claiming to be ‘transgender’ in order to assault women in shelter

A biological man claiming to be ‘transgender’ so as to gain access to and prey on women at two Toronto shelters was jailed “indefinitely” last week after being declared by a judge a “dangerous offender.”

Pro-family leaders are pointing out that this is exactly the type of incident they warned of as the Ontario government passed its “gender identity” bill, dubbed the “bathroom bill,” in 2012.

Christopher Hambrook, 37, leaned on the ever expanding legal “rights” offered to people who “identify” with the sex opposite their biology. Under the name “Jessica,” he was able to get into the women’s shelters, where he sexually assaulted several women in 2012, the Toronto Sun reports.

www.realwomenofcanada.ca...

edit on 15-4-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

a reply to: intrepid

Actually, most people are bigots.

No, they aren't. You're just used to that mentality.

All you have to do is be intolerant to someone elses beliefs which...

No again. It's forcing your beliefs on others. Which is what this is.

by definition, makes Adams a bigot.

He's a bigot because he doesn't support bigotry? Bwahahahahahaha......

And if he was really that upset over gay rights, he wouldn't have held concerts in extremely anti-gay countries.

Already been addressed. But thanks again for pointing out the similarity of Miss. and Egypt. The one BIG difference though is that the US is a self proclaimed bastion of human rights. In some areas that's lip service though.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

So what does that have to do with using the correct bathroom? Maybe we should just start using trees like cavemen, then nobody has anything to worry about. My opinion has nothing to do with a religious belief. Concerning people saying no to customers, if you want to place a sign saying you won't service straights, or whites, or men, or Christians then I'll just go somewhere else. I really don't care. Call me pro-choicer in that area. I'll assume you're a no-choicer, yes?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join