It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Rights Hypocrisy: Bryan Adams boycotts Mississippi, has no problem doing shows in Egypt

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: jjkenobi

Bryan Adams is a businessman. He has the right to ply his trade however and wherever he see's fit.

It's called capitalism....

You got a problem with that?

Ohhhhh, now it's called capitalism and the freedom to ply his trade ... funny how that doesn't wash when the bakers and photographers were saying that. Then it was all about no having the right to do that discriminate in their service because they are businesses ....

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Yeah, this is the talking point for those that support Miss's BS morality laws. Nice to see that people are getting it right. Miss. IS a lot like a backwards, medieval country when it comes to human rights. They didn't think of that though when they decided to put forth this analogy.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Bryan Adams is a businessman. He has the right to ply his trade however and wherever he see's fit.

Ohhhhh, now it's called capitalism and the freedom to ply his trade ... funny how that doesn't wash when the bakers and photographers were saying that. Then it was all about no having the right to do that discriminate in their service because they are businesses ....

He is denying all to a concert. Not picking and choosing who can come.

Accept all or deny all - - - that's the difference between this and the "cake and photog".

link   

Yeah, they tried that analogy too. Too bad established businesses are different to an "event". Next.

link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: LSU0408

Please explain how Bryan Adams not performing in Mississippi is "denying the rights of others?" Is there a right that I'm missing somewhere?

Amendment 10.5 - The right of the people to be entertained by 80's pop stars shall not be abridged

?

His agreement to perform a concert there is a business contract that he renegs on.

link   
a reply to: intrepid

What makes them backwards and medieval?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Accept all or deny all - - - that's the difference between this and the "cake and photog".

So you're ok with denying all gays or all straights as long as you deny all?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I don't remember any legislation stating Mississippians have a right to Bryan Adams concerts.

Maybe you are referencing some other rights if so what are they exactly?

The constitution protects contract law. Do his concert agreements have clauses that allow him to cancel for moral reasons?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I don't remember any legislation stating Mississippians have a right to Bryan Adams concerts.

The constitution protects contract law. Do his concert agreements have clauses that allow him to cancel for moral reasons?

Hell, if you're Axle Rose you can cancel a concert because you want to..... or you're tanked.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

So you're ok with denying all gays or all straights as long as you deny all?

I'm saying that's the difference.

You can't use the "cake and photog" as an argument.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Who knows what his contract says?

If he breached it, they can sue.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd
I guess it's ok to discriminate against LGBT, but how dare someone cancel their concert over it. The hypocrisy on ATS is coming in droves as of late. I say to all those conservative religious types that feel it's ok to discriminate, go right ahead we know you are going to anyways. Just don't whine when your treated the same way, especially with all these snowflake threads as of late.

Yes, it is.

We are pointing out his hypocrisy.

If it's wrong for one group to not participate in a thing for moral reasons (i.e. bakers, photogs, florists), then it is equally wrong for him to not participate for moral reasons. Both groups are refusing to provide their services on moral grounds.

I have always argued both groups should be able to, but I have been in the game on this from the beginning and been told (by people like yourself) it is hateful for group 1 to do so. However, now that group 2 is doing so on the exact same grounds - moral reasons - the same group of people who look down on me for being at the forefront are right in there claiming that group 2 has some kind of right group 1 lacks.

Fundamentally, there is no difference here aside from the reasons for refusal. In a nutshell, you are agreeing with one group and not the other. I think either both groups can do this or neither group can.
edit on 15-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

????
just not sure where your response has much to do with the topic.
the guy didn't like a law that the state passed and so he decided he didn't want to go there and do a concert...
as far as the law itself goes, well, I think laws like this will eventually open up a hornets nest, since well, why is one's belief about same sex relationships deserving of such protections from the gov't but not another person's belief in whatever?
but it's just not relevant...

don't celebrities sometimes cancel performances? I am sure they do, for a variety of reasons. and well, I am also sure that contract law is there to cover any cost to whoever the cancellation has harmed.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Really, so if a gay person marries a straight one, does the same baker deny them still? If the gay person just comes in and buys a cake, are they being denied simply because they are gay?

This still goes over your head. It ISN'T about the gay person being gay. It's about the Christian not wanting to participate in sacrilege against their conscience.

You can say all you want that Christ served sinners. He did; it's true, but he did not participate in their sins while doing so.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I have no issue with him protesting a state that has offended his feeling on gay rights.
He took a stand and made a decision.

I would now like to hear him explain why he is not protesting a country that has a far worse record of denying gays rights.

He is foreign to both countries.
His moralities should apply to both.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Really, so if a gay person marries a straight one, does the same baker deny them still? If the gay person just comes in and buys a cake, are they being denied simply because they are gay?
so.

What? Over my head?

It would have to make sense first.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

okay, let's say that business owner one doesn't want to employ homosexuals, would be quite legal for him to refuse to do so under this law, so he tells his personal manager to be discriminatory on that basis....
but his personnel manager feels very differently and feels a moral twinge with the idea of eliminating the best, most qualified candidate from the pool of possibilities.
so, well, I guess now, we have two people without jobs...right?

it all seems quite harmless, simple even we can all live happily ever after, upholding our moral standards, till you consider all the doctors across the nation who are in areas where the only hospital in a hundred miles is bound by a doctrine that is written by the catholic church and they are being told to endanger the lives of their patients...
then, well, it loses it's simple, harmlessness, doesn't it?
those constitutional rights weren't given to businesses and organizations, they were given to the people! so what happens when the businesses decide that they want to enforce what they see as there morality via their employees and those employees own morality conflicts with it?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

In my opinion, I don't want to give my money to anyone that don't like me on my appearance only so if they want to discriminate against me, I'll go elsewhere. I've never been much of a believer in forcing things on people unless it'll physically harm them. Either way, this law in discussion won't hurt my feelings regardless of which direction it goes so I'm not concerned with it.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

So it's ok if it's legal and/or "culturally acceptable"?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Then why don't we wait to see if "Armageddon" happens and let Mississippi reap the whirlwind from it. This is what federalism is all about. We punish them when it becomes something that needs punishing.

Although, given the lack of widespread evidence of gaymageddon in the US prior to this, I'm not sure what you expect. Do you suddenly think the entire south is going to put up "We Don't Serve Their Kind Here" signs because of Jim Crow?

Who knows? Maybe they will, but if they do, then they deserve what they get. But this is a panic born out of fear. You can accuse us of being afraid of what might happen in the bathroom? Well, we can accuse you of the same.
edit on 15-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join