It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Rights Hypocrisy: Bryan Adams boycotts Mississippi, has no problem doing shows in Egypt

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

He's upset that civil rights are being removed here in America. That's one thing. But in other countries that have their own laws and don't support a concept of civil rights or equality it wouldn't make sense to do the same.

The fact that Miss. has decided to go against the whole idea of equality and civil rights while being part of the US as a whole is what makes it bad on Miss. They are going against the principles that the US is all about.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I guess it's ok to discriminate against LGBT, but how dare someone cancel their concert over it. The hypocrisy on ATS is coming in droves as of late. I say to all those conservative religious types that feel it's ok to discriminate, go right ahead we know you are going to anyways. Just don't whine when your treated the same way, especially with all these snowflake threads as of late.
edit on 15-4-2016 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Mississippi took a step backwards, in his opinion.
Egypt, needs to move forward, also in his opinion.

I don't see a problem, or any hypocrisy in this.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
And by having Western musicians going to countries that need to take steps forward, it's a way of educating them and exposing them to fresh new ideas.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

I have no idea how much money was lost, but well, I do imagine he lost some, since well, it was planned into his schedule and now he will be a no show. I am pretty sure that he wasn't doing the show for free, and well, if there were contracts signed then he might end up not only being paid, but also have to pay some for the no show. after all, tickets were printed by what I read here, they cost money to print, they were sold, that also cost money, and well, I imagine that he will have to pay the cost that was incurred those who did those things.

This has nothing to do with Hobby Lobby not buying their employees birth control, oh the horror!

first hobby lobby wouldn't have had to buy their employees birth control, they had to buy their employees health insurance, which the gov't decided to mandate that that insurance include birth control coverage.
and well, sorry, but I see the hypocrisy involved in both instances to be quite similar.

matter of fact, what you are claiming to be so hypocritical in this case, well, hobby lobby does on a much grander scale!!
but then hobby lobby was upholding the christian religion as their deeply held belief, which can't be said in this case can it?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: the owlbear

Funny you keep posting about how irrelevant he is..not to you apparently

There's a thread...I post.

What's next? R.A.T.T. and the Goo Goo Dolls boycott Mississippi?
Seriously, this should not merit three pages on ATS.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: theantediluvian

Do you honestly think other countries like the ones you mentioned are going to look at the US and follow by example? I can remember back in the 90's when the French would be mentioned, people would associate them with weakness and girly boys and we'd always hope we' never ended up appearing like that when Americans came up in a discussion. Now we do. Russia, the UAE, those places don't see the USA as a powerhouse anymore. They sure as hell aren't going to follow our "progression." They laugh at us, America is the butt of their jokes now.

We should do the right thing because it's the right the thing to do. Whether or not they follow our example today, tomorrow or never is beside the point.

Not that it has any bearing whatsoever on the topic at hand but if you honestly believe that these countries "laugh at us," then you have no real grasp of our position in the world. Not using the threat of military intervention to dictate world affairs doesn't instantly make us weak. That's right-wing delusion that seems to arise from some feeling that the world is compromised of two sorts of people: bullies and the bullied.

Why is it that right-wingers are so obsessed with Putin? Could it be the deep-seated need for patriarchal authority? Are you jealous that we don't have the ultimate crony capitalist billionaire despot making himself rich while our nation's women sell themselves on websites for citizenship in other countries?

No. And I don't get the "laugh at us" form right wing delusion. After all, actions speak louder than words. The red line drawn in Syria made us a laughingstock. Putin basically told Obama to stand down since he was doing nothing against ISIS.

Imagine a powerhouse like Russia drawing a red line for Ukraine and telling them they better not cross that line and then Ukraine crosses it and Russia steps back and tells them not to do it again, to which Ukraine doesn't listen and nothing happens. America has a bark, but no longer a bite.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

So let me get this straight:

Something is good or bad depending on who's doing it?

Rednecks discriminating against gays is bad, but Muslims doing it is ok?

Moral relativism run amok. Nothing makes any sense anymore, by design.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Now that was a good one...

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Geez man, how many times can you say "well?"

Anyways, I catch your drift... It's ok to do things the way you want to do them as long as they're anti-religious. It's ok to protest as long as you're protesting something somewhat religious.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

So let me get this straight:

Something is good or bad depending on who's doing it?

Rednecks discriminating against gays is bad, but Muslims doing it is ok?

Moral relativism run amok. Nothing makes any sense anymore, by design.

You still don't have it straight. I'm not talking about Morality either. I'm talking about legality and civil rights.

We have those things here. Equality is written in laws and constitution. They are the principles of our nation. So when they are being denied here within this nation it's a problem that everyone here should recognize. Apparently Brain Adams sees it and doesn't like it and neither should anyone else who's here.

But it wouldn't make sense to someone living in a nation without such laws or principles now would it. So getting all pissy about him having a concert there but not here because of those principles seems normal. Because for him to boycott playing there based on laws which they don't even have wouldn't make sense. But it does make sense here because here what Miss. is doing is against the principles of this nation.

I shouldn't have to explain this.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

isn't that what you are saying???
I mean do we still have anti-abortion protesters screaming at little preschoolers about how that big noisy construction site across the street is killing kids??
and heck, it's perfectly okay when the antiabortion folks break laws, create fake licenses, pretend that they want to buy baby parts for outrageous amounts of money, while signing contracts they have no intention of keeping, all of which is against the law. we should just ignore those laws, right?
but have a few take action in protest of a law that the christians support, and oh how they howl!!

it's really quite ironic when the group who is constantly upholding the right of businesses to do just about anything and everything they wish, suddenly starts thinking that they cannot make the decision as to where they want to move the plant to, or not to move it.
just who is being hypocritical here, I ain't having to jump fences back and forth, don't have to.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian.

You're confusing the North Carolina "bathroom law" with the Mississippi law (HB 1523).

Wow. My apologies. I really blew that one!!! I won't even pretend to offer an excuse... that was just bad on my part. I don't know what I was thinking there...

Thanks for schooling me -- in a much nicer manner than I deserved -- and for the links. Yes, I see the potential problems already, and I will read more.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

It's ok...South Park made it clear that Canada publicly apologized for Bryan Adams.

Some Musos should just stick to music. Look at Bono... 'let's help the starving Africans' yet U2's latest album appeared on an iPhone that was made possible by-you guessed it-Starving Africans. They toiled in squalid conditions to dig up the rare earth minerals so that apple could make their phones, and without those phones U2 wouldn't have a device that force feeds their latest albums down their throats.

edit on 15-4-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

a reply to: Grimpachi

The rights to buy a ticket with your hard earned money and attend the concert you bought your tickets for which happen to be a has-been pop star that decides "eh, # it. I've decided not to play."

Now whoever called in to their job or changed plans to attend this show are put out.

That's not violating a right.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Imagine a powerhouse like Russia drawing a red line for Ukraine and telling them they better not cross that line and then Ukraine crosses it and Russia steps back and tells them not to do it again, to which Ukraine doesn't listen and nothing happens. America has a bark, but no longer a bite.

Obama making the line was stupid. There's only a handful of ways you can interact with a well armed nuclear country, especially one that's supplying natural gas to all of Europe.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

isn't that what you are saying???

Kind of. But I'm not being hypocritical about it. It should go both ways. You don't want my service because I'm different then I don't want to give you my money anyways and I'd rather find another business.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

But he shouldn't have backed down from it. We all know it only takes one time to back down to make everyone else consider you a pushover. That set a bad precedent, unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon

I don't consider "we're better than them" to be a valid argument.

He has his beliefs, and I respect him for sticking to them.

Except he didn't .... if he had, he never would have done those shows across the Middle East.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
We're all hypocrites in one way or another. Perhaps he thinks he actually has a chance of affecting the legal system here and knows that other country's laws are not our business...

In any case, I'd boycott a state because of their laws in my own country and would be less likely to try to affect change in other countries.

Bryan Adams is Canadian. So if another country's laws are not our business. Then our laws are likewise none of his.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join