It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Young Men Need To Be Taught

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

TO THE people raising the future men of the world:

I’ve been forced to contact you, because the level of online douchery and quite frankly predatory behaviour aimed at young women, has this week hit an all time dickhead high score.

By now, I’m sure you’ve read about the man who took a creep shot of a woman doing her fruit and veggie shopping at Woolies. He thought it would be romantic to post it on their Facebook page and then say he’d turn up everyday in the same spot until she acknowledged him.

It was also a huge week for prestigious higher education institutions.
(Link)

I suppose some people will view this article as a concerned parent rightly worried about her daughters' futures, while others will see a hysterical feminist determined to classify women as special class citizens in need of constant protection from evil men. And before the usual suspects accuse me of "being offended" by her article, I will remind them that issues/ideas can be discussed without emotional attachments being made (ironically, this is more difficult for some as it is for others). While not offensive, the article is certainly illogical and equally ridiculous.

ETA: Just to clarify my views on the article: I agree with the overall message of the author, which I interpret as: young men should be raised to respect women.

What I do object to are the examples she uses to support her message as being representative of a deep cultural problem and the execution of the article itself.

She has the audacity to place herself on a pedestal as though she is the bastion/authority of women's rights. Also, the way she stereotypes young males because of the actions of a small minority is illogical.

In addition, she expects men to alter their natural behaviour but feels women shouldn't be expected to alter their behaviour in any form.

edit on 15/4/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Apr 16 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I don't get you. What's illogical and ridiculous about saying parents should raise their sons not to be dickheads? Do you think parents SHOULD in fact specifically raise their sons to be dickheads?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I'm confused. Are you saying you agree with the article or that it is illogical and ridiculous...

AB

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
double
edit on 07pFri, 15 Apr 2016 06:33:07 -050020162016-04-15T06:33:07-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I'm not offended by what you posted, I am thinking there is a disconnect with a lot of males when it comes to having respect for other people, in particular, women.

Frankly, if my boys behaved like this I'd give them a slap. its shameful.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

there was an Egyptian guy that I was talking to, and I would discuss our cultures and ideologies ( often we conflicted). He expressed once that he likes to follow western women around on the strip and take unsuspecting pictures of them I literally came unglued, he tried to say its acceptable in his culture, and frankly I don't care what culture you come from here or even there its #ing wrong to be a predator and treat people like objects its unacceptable anywhere it happens. Is that what we are discussing here? if not I do not know what exactly we are talking about?
edit on 15-4-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I'd say the youth need to be taught, it isn't just males. But then I wouldnt want to prejudice the youth, we are all different.

It is illogical to think all male youths are rapists and women abusers, it's also offensive to the majority of good parents and young men.

Again I'd like to mention young women can be sexual deviants also. I've personally came across some disgusting and filthy behavior by women.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Both sexes are perverse, women do these things too.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I’ve been forced to contact you, because the level of online douchery and quite frankly predatory behaviour aimed at young women, has this week hit an all time dickhead high score.

Emphasis mine.

Seriously, welcome to the internet. Don't assume that is what people openly act like in western society, surrounded by people they don't know.

Tell them that it’s OK to be sad, vulnerable and sensitive. I believe forcing young men to repress emotions leads to frustration and bad behaviour down the track.

But it's okey-fine to repress those emotions that this writer thinks are icky!
edit on 15-4-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

But it's okey-fine to repress those emotions that this writer thinks are icky!

She's not talking about repressing any emotions. She is talking about repressing certain bad behavior. Do YOU think men should take pictures of women without their permission and post them online? Do YOU think men should sing songs in public about doing not nice things to women's sexual parts? Is that how you are going to raise YOUR son? I highly doubt it. So what is wrong with a woman writing her opinion that parents should take the time to raise their sons to not be dickheads?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The first is just creepy and wrong.

The song however is fecking hillerious!

edit on 15-4-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

It is illogical to think all male youths are rapists and women abusers, it's also offensive to the majority of good parents and young men.

I don't think she said that all male youths are rapists and women abusers. She said she is seeing a lot of bad behavior by some young men.

I've also seen editorials by moms saying similar things about raising daughters as well. I saw something a few years ago when twerking was all the rage. This mom was suggesting that young women should be taught to have more self respect.

It goes both ways, no doubt, but this particular article in the OP is addressing the parents of young men. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having the opinion that parents should raise their sons to be respectful and polite towards women.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
society now lauds the vacuous beautiful dullards while, the media gives them reality shows, this is how you're supposed to live.
from the 90s girls have been shown that their body and looks are the only asset they have, for example here in england, jordan a rather plain yet surgically enhanced 'beauty' has made millions via her silicon implants, which have become so popular we actually have tv adverts promoting surgery.
need cash? sleep with someone remotely famous and sell the story.
men have been shown that unless you're incredibly talented and rich the way to women is through violence, hence the rise in streetgangs, thanks america, with guns nigh impossible to get here knife crime is surging.
now i'm not blaming music for this sea change in male culture, but the beatles, who, kinks and stones did not base their ethics around misogyny.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

TO THE people raising the future men of the world:

. . .

In addition, she expects men to alter their natural behaviour but feels women shouldn't be expected to alter their behaviour in any form.

BOTH sides of this problem . . . and a lot of other problems . . .

would be largely solved if

Parents--particularly dads were taught and required [not by governmental force but by consensus cultural norms] to PREVENT SIGNIFICANT LEVELS OF ATTACHMENT DISORDER. I have an old thread hereon about that topic.

Found the link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

However, the oligarchy is interested in shredding the family and solid traditional values in their rush from hell.

Their goal is to destroy the old culture in order to set up the tyrannical new one where the serfs and slaves live and act more like serfs and slaves with limited choices and few if any 'freedoms.'

They have plotted to and effectively carried out their goals to shred all mutual respect, decency, admirable lofty values and behaviors of every kind.

Witness the memes of the music they have foisted on the populace.

The baser instincts and degraded selfish, arrogant values and inclinations of the human creature are then fanned into epidemically destructive proportions.

So what you describe has been planned and skillfully implemented. The result should be no surprise to anyone well read, informed and awake.

The solution is a whole bigger issue.

edit on 15/4/2016 by BO XIAN because: quote tag

edit on 15/4/2016 by BO XIAN because: found link

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Not since Lennon and McCartney have such lyrical heights been reached.

Whoever wrote that must have been in a coma for the past 45 years.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I've also seen editorials by moms saying similar things about raising daughters as well. I saw something a few years ago when twerking was all the rage. This mom was suggesting that young women should be taught to have more self respect.

It goes both ways, no doubt, but this particular article in the OP is addressing the parents of young men. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having the opinion that parents should raise their sons to be respectful and polite towards women.

I think your point is an important one and well made.

However, the problem is more basic than you articulated.

HOW can anyone have RESPECT for a 'creature' . . . an . . . 'animal' . . .

that is--to paraphrase B.F. Skinner in BEYOND FREEDOM AND DIGNITY

NOTHING MORE THAN A RAT, A PIGEON, A RADISH OR A ROCK.

. . . which, BTW, was one of the goals of foisting that philosophy on the planet--to destroy the old order and the old values enabling easier establishment of the tyrannical enslavement of the masses.

One doesn't grab WORTH and RESPECT out of thin air or find it hanging by the dozens from sky hooks!

How can a father or mother shredded in their hearts, minds and souls by overworked, alcoholic, emotionally-sexually-verbally-physically abusive; etc. parents--particularly fathers teach anyone any shred of durable self-respect?

Their parents didn't teach them very effectively how to emotionally, affectionately bond with their sons and daughters, either. We might could trace it back to Adam but that wouldn't help.

Selfishness and pride are horrific natural inclinations that the oligarchy has capitalized on to shred our culture, way of life, values, nation, society.

It takes incredible selfLESSness on the part of sharp, well trained, earnest, very loving and humble parents who doggedly daily emotionally and affectionately bond with their young children--in order to prevent such problems.

The oligarchy has known this for many decades. That's why they have worked so hard in so many ways to prevent such attachments and to make ATTACHMENT DISORDER to be of horrific levels and broadly spread far and wide.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Very confused by this OP to be honest.

In terms of the guy who keeps posting on facebook, there is nothing wrong with it all - unless the woman has told to him to get lost, which wasn't clear.

As for the young Aussie guys singing songs about women and rating them, there is nothing wrong with it all.
Young men have always assessed women's looks and will continue to do so until the human race dies out.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

WHy is it specific towards men? I've met plenty of.. shall we say, "colourful" women over the years, voicing opinions and using language that would make a hooker blush.

How about instead of, "Parents, teach your boys to grow up respectful to women", why not, "Parents, teach your *children* to grow up to be respectful to other human beings" ?

Why gender specific? Sure there's disrespectful men - but the same applies to women.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

What I do object to are the examples she uses to support her message as being representative of a deep cultural problem and the execution of the article itself.

She has the audacity to place herself on a pedestal as though she is the bastion/authority of women's rights. Also, the way she stereotypes young males because of the actions of a small minority is illogical.

I think it is a cultural problem. What makes you think it isn't?

She does NOT stereotype all young males. In fact, she states:

I have no doubt that a lot of you already do this. I am in no way saying that all your sons will behave in this manner.

You think it is natural behavior to be a dickhead and disrespectful?

What I took from her comment about not wanting her daughters to have to change their behavior or actions was for them not to be afraid to go out in public alone, like to a grocery store or walking around a university because they don't want to endure the potentially bad behavior of some of these young men. It is sad that women have to be particularly careful when out in public. It's a fact, but that doesn't make it any less sad.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

there was an Egyptian guy that I was talking to, and I would discuss our cultures and ideologies ( often we conflicted). He expressed once that he likes to follow western women around on the strip and take unsuspecting pictures of them I literally came unglued, he tried to say its acceptable in his culture, and frankly I don't care what culture you come from here or even there its #ing wrong to be a predator and treat people like objects its unacceptable anywhere it happens. Is that what we are discussing here? if not I do not know what exactly we are talking about?

Something needs to be done, probably some sort of education at a young age.

Colleges are rife with sexual assaults and rape against girls. It seems to be perfectly acceptable to a lot of college aged males in the USA. You know the "she's drunk, she won't know or remember" attitude.

But it also seems to be happening in later life too. Take the USA military where around a third of women report sexual assault or rape by ther fellow service men. The usnavy having shore time reduced in Japan due to the amount of sexual assaults on the native women.

Is it culture? Upbringing? Lack of education or lack of intelligence?

I just don't know. Although it isn't talked about as much I think there is still some deep rooted culture of men feeling they do and should have power over women.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join