It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our We Our Own Gods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 01:22 AM
link   
"Some people devote thier whole lives to Be one with God, Others devote thier whole lives to utterly become God".
Does anyone find this true, that man seems to be going towards a future in which we are our own gods? In which we create our own destiny?
Deep
PS...I made that first qoute up,
pretty good for a canadian ey?

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Reminds me of the title of one of the few The Fall albums missing from my collection,

Are You Are Missing Winner

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I have just as much time for intelligent godless people.

And God is in all of us.

In fact, what if Christ had said "I am a son of God" rather than "I am the Son Of God"?

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

In fact, what if Christ had said "I am a son of God" rather than "I am the Son Of God"?

Maybe he did. He never wrote anything down so its all second hand quotes.

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The 'creating of one's own destiny' is not a postulation of one being our own 'g-d'. You may wish to think and assume such, since it is your inherent right, but in truth what you are merely alluding to is: freewill.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Has not since the beggining of mankind .......had ''free will''?

And The Devil lied and said'''Ye shall not surely die:for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof,then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods,knowing good and evil.
(See Genesis ch 3:1-6)
So this lie of the Devil is still being used today ......
And people want to be God.

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Check Psalms 82:6 and John 10:34.

ONE

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Yes we are gods........not GOD!

gods of this earth....meaningthe Preeminenceof Man...over other creatures.....see Gen.1:28;Psa 8:6;Mtt.6:26;12:12
Dominian over the natural world ....Man's dominion ....
Gen.9:2....And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth,and upon every fowl of the air,upon all that moveth upon the earth,and upon all the fishes of the sea;into your hands are they delivered.
Psalm8:6.Thou madest him to have dominianover the works of thy hands;thou hast put all things under his feet
He.2:8)
Ja.3:7.For every kind of beasts and of birds, and of serpants, and of things in the sea,is tamed ,and hath been tamed of mankind:

When we read scripture,we assume we know all that is written and find ourselves to be self-explanatory....
Scripture should be read and re read to truly understand......
One can read the Bible and make up what they want to hear,or what they think they know........
There are many so called Christians......all I'm sure hold the Holy Bible in their hand.......why are then so many interpretations of the Bible?

[Edited on 6/19/2003 by helen670]

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 09:45 PM
link   
We are gods to live a better life to serve God.

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Tamaha aka BC

Thank you for those passages.

I am not a student of the Bible.

These are excellent passages which fit comfortably with my philosophy.

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 10:12 PM
link   
You are creations of God. It is obvious you and I or any other human is no god. If you are a god, create something. I mean out of thin air, not using anything God has already made.

Hell, we can't even create peace among ourselves.

A totally stupid notion, humans as gods. Look around, think about it and come to grips with the fact you are what you are and you need the real God.

America can't even market a good beer, you know there is no god here!

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Why do people continue to call the Most High, the ALL, the One; whatever you want to call it/him/her - "God". It seems that a god (or devil) is one who has finite capabilities but has control of things on the plane below him/her.

The ALL or ONE is infinite. Why does the Bible try to give the Most High, human and finite characteristics; or pass something finite off as infinite?

Why do people generically call their deity "God" which is really a Greek acronym for Strength Beauty Wisdom. "Gomar Oz Dubar"; I think.

Don't people know the name of their god?

Examples: Yahweh, Yashua, Allah, Adonai, El, Elohim, Anu, Baal, Shiva, etc.

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Because,as you have shown, that the Most High, the ALL, the One, does indeed have many various names and forms.

The usage of 'G-d' is a generalization at best wouldn't you think Tamahu?

Very good point that you have made though.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   
that we are our own Gods...

I believe that our "soul" for lack of a better word...is energy, energy that animates these cells making up our body. One thing we've learned about nature so far, is that energy seems to be a constant, and is neither lost nor created, but simply changes form. Therefore, when our physical bodies die....the energy has to go somewhere. My belief is that energy acts upon matter, and that it is only this interaction that can be observed through our physical senses. However, just because that's all that can be observed, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist at other levels. When a man is blind, does that mean that others (who have sight) cannot observe the colors, etc. around them? No...just because the blind man cannot see what's going on, doesn't mean nothing is happening.

I believe that when we die, our energy then interacts again with whatever matter we choose. Sometimes, it may be just a free-float through existence, or a shaping of a pocket dimension, or perhaps rebirth into another living being, or even interacting instead through other, non-living matter....but still retains it's cohesion as an "entity" of itself. So in essence...."god-like"

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 06:37 PM
link   
seekerof

By reading the scriptures written about these gods; you can see that they portray WEAK and PETTY traits of the human-lower-self.

Is the Most High above things such as jealousy?

I would hope so.

ONE

[Edited on 19-6-2003 by Tamahu]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I read a line in a book once, What the buddha taught. It said that we are all our own god. we have the will to do what we want and the will to not do what we want !
An example being that nobody can make you do anything you dont want to, you have the will to not do that, and through endevour and commitment with the will and knowledge and wisdom we can do anything.

This may not seem true in the real world because people manipulate and lie to each other to make them do things with there will and against it.

I think it is our fear that holds us back. Another example being that if one was truly not afraid, of even death then no army or soldier or tyrant could force you to follow his ways we would peacefully refuse, and even if at the threat of death. Therefore you are your own GOD

Buddisim teaches we push our own buttons, if someone upsets us or hurts us, it is ourselves that are being allowed to be upset and hurt.

The Buddha himself is a great example. The story goes he was a prince, whos father tried to hide from him the reality of life, that we all get sick, we all grow old and die, dying being the only guarentte in this life of suffering.

The buddha decided to go and serch for the awnsers of why this was, The old meaning of life thing. He studied for years under the leaders of some of the worlds main faiths at a time when they were fisrt around.

And after years of studying them he found that althou they had in them some fundermental truths, i.e love thy neighbour, make peace not war. There were infact inherently futile. And not the sole awnser.

So It was that he went alone into wilderness to meditate on this.

Now I wont pretent to know everything bout this or buddhisim.
But I think the storey goes that whilst under a fig tree he finaly reach enlightenment, something to do with dharma and the five truths and all that jazz.

He realized we are all trapped in this cycle of life being reborn to the cosmos constantly living a life of chaos, and suffering. And the only way to brake the cycle was through. knowledge wisdom and then enlightenment.

At which point when you reach enlightenment all time ceases to stop, to be irellivent as such.
What I would classs as a state of mind. a bit like when you say dosent time fly when your having fun. or drag when your not.

And as for having godly powers, can anyone say with certainty that we can not fly, or levitate. or manipulate the cosmos around us. ?Has anyone you know ever spent a whole lifetime of endevour and sheer will and meditation to try....???????

And if some had, would they tell you...?

The buddha himself said when he reached the enlightend state, He did not know if to share this knowledge with the world. Can you blame him ?

People cant handle the truth most of the time. anywhos. I think buddhisim rocks. its logical and so true are its words. Its not a religion, it does not preach or ask you to serve. It only offers you a WAY in which you might live a better life more homonaceyly with the world and people around us.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
Has not since the beggining of mankind .......had ''free will''?

And The Devil lied and said'''Ye shall not surely die:for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof,then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods,knowing good and evil.
(See Genesis ch 3:1-6)
So this lie of the Devil is still being used today ......
And people want to be God.

Actually, you should have read further down the chapter. Because god repeats this as fact.

Genesis 3
22And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Also, other references to it.

Psalm 82

5They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

Jesus says it. This goes along with a son of god rather than the son of god.

John 10

33The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

As well as

John 14

20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

The lie of the devil is that you are not. The father gives wisdom, the devil spreads ignorance of the truth. Jesus showed you the truth, and then it was manipulated into an idol to make Jesus appear to be everything which you are not. Jesus offered freedom, not bondage.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
You are creations of God. It is obvious you and I or any other human is no god. If you are a god, create something. I mean out of thin air, not using anything God has already made.

Hell, we can't even create peace among ourselves.

A totally stupid notion, humans as gods. Look around, think about it and come to grips with the fact you are what you are and you need the real God.

America can't even market a good beer, you know there is no god here!

The father is the one who is all knowing. We are the sons and we are not as great as the father or even close to it. In order for this reality to exist, we must be limited in our perception.

Time doesn't exist for the father, because there is nothing new that can happen. All is known. This is like taking a movie and stretching the film out and looking at the entire movie at once. This is like the perspective of the father. In order for that movie to have time and motion, you have to limit the perception to only single frames that change, and that creates the illusion of "time". This limited perception is like the perspective of the son/you. See the difference?

So you are like the father, consciousness/soul. But the father is much greater than you and see's the entire film and all possible films. We on the other hand, we are the limited perspective experiencing the movie.

Ever been into a movie so much you like zoned into it and it was like only that movie existed?

You know what the only thing is that can create something from nothing? Thought. What creates thought? Consciousness/soul.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The First Teaching

It was a long way to Varanasi and Buddha walked slowly through village and farm. Everyone was immediately attracted to him. He was tall and handsome and moved with dignity and grace. Just seeing him brought calmness and joy to the people. He spoke kind and gentle words of comfort to everyone he met. Whether they were rich or poor, simple or intelligent, of noble birth or low, Buddha treated them all equally, with great love and respect.

Finally, he reached the Deer Park. From a distance the five men saw him approach. Quickly they whispered to one another, "Here comes that good-for-nothing Siddhartha. Led us have nothing to do with such a quitter! Ignore him if he comes near."

But as Buddha approached, the men immediately felt that there was something very special about him. Forgetting their plan to ignore him, they automatically stood up as he drew near.

With great respect they prepared a seat for him, took his robes, brought him some water and said, "Welcome Siddhartha, to the Deer Park. We are honoured that you have joined us here".

Buddha answered, "I thank you for your kind welcome, O monks. But you should know that I am no longer simply Siddhartha; it is no longer correct for you to call me by that name."

"By what name should we call you then? they asked.

"The whole world is asleep in ignorance," he answered. "When someone discovers the truth, he or she is asleep no longer. Now I am awake, having discovered the truth. All such awakened ones are called 'Buddha'.

Then the five men, with great respect, said "O Buddha, please teach us what you have learned so that we too may awaken." And so, in answer to their request, Buddha delivered his first teaching. It is called "Turning the Wheel of the Dharma " and "Dharma" is the truth he discovered. He began to tell the five monks that they must know that there are four Noble Truths:

1. Noble Truth of Suffering

Chasing after the delights of the world, expecting them to bring lasting pleasure, always leads to disappointment. These things are all subject to the miseries of birth, old age, sickness and death. Even when you do find something pleasant how soon do you grow tired of it? None of these 'things' offer any real satisfaction or peace.

2 Noble Truth of the Cause of Suffering

Not being able to be content with what we have or who we are, our mind is filled with a greed or desire and suffering of all types automatically follows. This attitude of selfishness and greediness is the cause of our dissatisfaction, robbing us of our peace of mind.

3. Noble Truth of the End of Suffering

Seeing the suffering that comes from these attitudes we are liberated from our heart and all our suffering and dissatisfaction will come to an end. We shall experience a happiness that is far greater then our ordinary pleasures and a peace that is beyond words.

4. Noble Truth of the Middle Path or the Nobel Eightfold Path

This path leads to the end of all suffering, If we avoid harming all other living beings, if we sharpen and focus our mind, and if we gain wisdom, each of us can reach perfect happiness, the end of all misery. The way to end suffering is to follow the Noble Eightfold Path namely:

Right Understanding
Right Thought
Right Speech
Right Action
Right Livelihood
Right Effort
Right Mindfulness
Right Concentration

The five monks who had highly developed minds understood his teaching and became his first disciples; the Sangha (Community of Monks) was thus formed.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Gods ? no way ... we`re something close to cancer maybe, actually we are Gods because if i say i`m a 7 dimensional creature you can`t argue because you`ve never seen a 7 dimensional creature to compare.

I hate all this bible quoting and stuff:
do you have any idea how many bible translations there are ?
do you realize that even the protestant/ortodox/catholic bible ?

the bible is similar to the koran and other books like it, but it`s not the same ? why ? if they are based on the same thing why aren`t they the same ?

i do think that we can become energy etc. But even if a dog could use 100 % of it`s brain it would become energy

The problem is we are getting smarter but still using a max of 6%, we just forget some things in order to learn new ones. The really smart people were autists. So you can be really smart only if you are considered not normal. And these days not normal means sick, so right now we keep the people that have the potential of doing great things so high on drugs they are useless.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join