It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee governor vetoes bill making Bible the official state book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam on Thursday vetoed a bill that would have made the Bible the state’s official book. “In addition to the constitutional issues with the bill, my personal feeling is that this bill trivializes the Bible, which I believe is a sacred text,” Haslam (R) wrote in a letter to the speaker of the statehouse. “If we believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God, then we shouldn’t be recognizing it only as a book of historical and economic significance,” continued Haslam. “If we are recognizing the Bible as a sacred text, then we are violating the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Tennessee by designating it as the official state book.”

It's good to see a politician that knows how to keep his faith and the duties of his office separate. Had the founders wanted America under one religion then we would already be under that religion. Why does America need to be under one religion anyways? What good does it do other to say to people of other faiths my religion is more important than yours. This may not go well for him during his next election though a Republican in the bible belt going against the bible? Goodbye career.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

What difference does it make? I don't even know if we HAVE a state book in Ohio.

If you are going to pick a state book why not make it the best selling book of all time or the second best seller of all time Don Quixote. I really wouldn't give a crap about either of them.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
We have State books? I have never heard of such a thing.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Exactly.

This is news why? Oh, the Cardinal is my state bird. Cool.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Exactly.

You have a cardinal? Awesome! We have a chicken, the Rhode Island red I think it's called. Last I heard anyway. LOL

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It has been on our news incessantly. Also, it is coupled with the fact they just made the Barret .50 cal rifle our official state rifle.

It isn't some tiny gun either...it can shoot planes from the sky or something equally ridiculous.

Guns and a Bible...Probably both camo colored or Tennessee orange. 'Murica or whatever.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Yay!
One for the good guys! *__-

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Exactly.

You have a cardinal? Awesome! We have a chicken, the Rhode Island red I think it's called. Last I heard anyway. LOL

Is it's name Foghorn Leghorn?
Oh , wait , you probably dont know that one
Ours is just a brown thrasher. But our state fruit is the Peach and we are the Peach State,,,,in more ways than one.

And we do have an unofficial state book - Gone with the Wind. Which as I type the title is what I am due to the fact this is going to turn into just another Christian bashing thread...

edit on 4/15/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: BarefootInWinter

Guns and a Bible...Probably both camo colored or Tennessee orange. 'Murica or whatever.

Barack , is that you ? Better go home , I think I hear Michelle callin ya..

edit on 4/15/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BarefootInWinter

It has been on our news incessantly. Also, it is coupled with the fact they just made the Barret .50 cal rifle our official state rifle. It isn't some tiny gun either...it can shoot planes from the sky or something equally ridiculous.

I love the Barret.

In the right hands you can hit a target over 1 mile away. I have sort of wanted one of those, but I would have a hard time justifying the price tag to the wife.
edit on 2016/4/15 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Which as I type the title is what I am due to the fact this is going to turn into just another Christian bashing thread...

No. Just those specific Christians who want to bash everyone over the head with their book by making it official anything in government.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

You're in the peach State, I'm in the Ocean State.

Ok, now I want an official State book. LOL

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Lol. I had to check my state has a state children's book! The legend of sleeping bear. I am good with that though since it's author is from my state and the story is based on state Indian lore.

Regarding thread! Kudos to the veto. Tennessee needs to find pride in their own authors and/or stories. The bible was not written there nor any of the authors!

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
It's just the far Right Wing trying to stay relevant for as long as they can.

The handwriting is on the wall.....

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Who even knew there was a state book. I want New Jersey's to be Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
wouldn't surprise me if the governor overheard the state legislatures bickering over weather it would be the catholic bible or the king james version, and was just trying to head off that storm!

really, did the law mention which version would be the state book? I remember in those days of after church restaurant visits, some christians just ain't going to accept the NRV as the official anything, they won't even accept it as a decent translation.
which leads me to my point, if they actually did get christianity as the government's sanctioned religion, the next question would be, which version of christianity? And, well, ask anyone in ireland just how well that debate would turn out!

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

But no thanks for not expanding Medicaid so that the costs of healthcare is way expensive for Tennesseans and many are uninsurable now. And no thanks for your stupid pro-life constitutional amendment that you creeped into the ballot for public vote.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It seems to me that more and more people are waking up to the fact that both the Rep. and Dem. spend all their time just trying to invent some new issue or bill for people to vote on. The REAL issue is that we don't need them anymore, and they are just trying to hold onto their jobs. As soon as enough people figure that out we can be rid of their crap and become a truly free nation. The trouble is that each time one of them gets a wild hair up their ___ you will always find some duffis to say "Oh yeh that's a good idea". Here is what the founding fathers said about religion.

Ben Franklin
Lighthouses are more useful than churches.

John Q. Adams
This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were NO religions in it.

Thomas Jefferson
Christianity is the most perverted system that's ever shone on man.

On top of that we also have that whole pesky separation of church and state thing but I guess they forgot that part. Can't expect politicians to remember that whole BILL OF RIGHTS thing. After all they've forgotten it for years.

top topics

join