It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is legal for candidates to pay delegates at a brokered convention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

The New York primary is big for both parties, but especially for the Republicans. If Donald Trump doesn't win most of the state's 95 delegates, it becomes even more likely that the Republican National Convention in July will be contested, meaning the nominee won't be automatically determined before the first round of voting. If that ends up being the case, the candidates will descend into a delegate frenzy, using any means available to secure the nomination before someone else beats them to it. This year, with Donald Trump's deep pockets and Ted Cruz's super PAC backers, that means money — paying for meals, travel expenses, trips to Florida, and anything else you can think of to swing delegates. It's perfectly legal for candidates to pay delegates at a brokered convention, and it could have a deciding impact on this year's Republican race.

According to Republican election lawyer Ben Ginsberg, the infrequency of brokered conventions means that there aren't a lot of rules to regulate the candidates' interactions with delegates — the 2,000 or so people who get to decide the party's nominee. Back during the last brokered convention in 1976, when incumbent President Gerald Ford was fighting off a challenge from Ronald Reagan, Ford offered the delegation from Mississippi some pretty incredible things in exchange for their votes.
Can Candidates Pay Delegates At A Brokered Convention? The Answer Is Pretty Surprising

I can't believe that I've read on this forum that one of the reasons for allowing a brokered convention to happen is to stop someone from "buying the election." Well, the article above disproves that notion.

And, it brings up an interesting point that I've never seen discussed before...

Rather than giving money to candidates, why not accumulate money to buy off delegates directly? Wouldn't that be a lot more efficient and effective?

By giving money to politicians to campaign to try to win votes from the common voter...isn't that going in the wrong direction according to the article above?

Here's a better plan to win any nomination IMHO (assuming a large enough bankroll):

First, flood a party with candidates so that a brokered convention is assured.

Second, pay off enough delegates to win the nomination at the brokered convention.

So simple, so efficient, so effective...no wonder no one's tried it before...

(Or is Trump the first time?)
edit on 14-4-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

If that's the case, Trumps bringing a billion dollars in a wheelbarrow

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

My thoughts exactly!

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
As far as I know candidates can't give money directly but they can promise the moon and give a ride on Air Force 1... If elected.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
It is my understanding that you cannot buy someone's individual vote in an election, but it is possible that you can do so with delegates.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

some of the delegates are Lobbyists already, so make of that what you will

...Dozens of the 437 delegates in the DNC member category are registered federal and state lobbyists, according to an ABC News analysis.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Why are lobbyists delegates?

Doesn't buying votes/representation put the wealthy at a advantage over the general public?

Solution. Ban all government lobbying.

top topics

join