It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genesis 6:3 and the descendants of Shem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Genesis 6:1-4

When the people began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them, the Sons of God saw that they were fair; and they took wives for themselves of all that they chose. Then the LORD said, "My spirit shall not abide in mortals forever, for they are flesh; their days shall be 120 years."

Before I begin with the 120 year limit imposed that some would call a curse let me point out that we have God's spirit in us and it is us. We are animated by the spirit(lower case in this instance I assume either to distinguish from the Holy Spirit and/or because the spirit in a human is only a portion of God and not God in total) of God according to Genesis 6:3 and thus of divine ancestry. Awesome.

But I am of the opinion that God set at this point, immediately before the introduction of the Nephilim and as a result of the hybrid offspring of the Sons of God and daughters of men, a limit on the life of man. This passage serves as an introduction to the flood and the story of Noah. It is spoken before the flood immediately after Gods Sons commit what is no less than rape of the female descendants of Adam who are also God's spiritual children so it is a punishment on mankind for being a victim.

But one bloodline seems not to be under the ban starting with Noah himself who must be especially divine because he lived 350 years and his son Shem who was always known to be Melchizedek to the Isralites/Hebrews/Jews lived 500 years after the birth of Arpashad according to 11:10.

Shems descendants like Arpachsad live for hundreds of years according to Genesis 11 which is a list of Shem's descendants from Arpachsad to Abram, Nahor and Haran. 6 people live over 120 years and as old as 465(Arpachsad) and 464(Eber, where we get Hebrew) and it seems as time passes to drop down to 148(Hahor) and I wonder just how divine this fellow Noah is.

I have heard it said that Noah was chosen at least in part for his physical perfection, meaning he was from the unpoluted (with Nephilim genes) line of Adam and (the Dead Sea Scrolls have a version where he is born of a virgin.) he is also not subject to the 120 year limit imposed by God. He is capable of blessing Shem, which is evident in his descendants lifespan, and cursing Canaan resulting in the Joshua vs Canaan saga so he is one who has the power of God. Blessings were serious business as we see in the saga of Jacob. They were as serious or more than birthrights to the line of Shem and very real.

I guess what I want to say is, was Noah somewhat of a divine human or something along those lines? Human, but special?

His son is rumored to be the great and mysterious Melchizedek and that is saying something. Shem's name means name, and is used as a name for God: Ha-Shem is a way of saying God in Hebrew.

I would love to hear anyone with knowledge of Hebrew explain how someines name could be Name and mean God, but I am more interested in the possibility of a divine lineage in the Semitic people, which is way more than just Jews b.t.w.

Does anyone know any person in the bible who lived longer than 120 outside of the Semitic line?

Virgin birth of Noah

edit on 14-4-2016 by ElementalFreeze because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2016 by ElementalFreeze because: I added a link to the virgin birth of Noah

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Of course this resumes the discussion which you began in this thread;
Shem as Melchizedek

Some of the points you raise were answered there.
edit on 14-4-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I never made any thread on Melchizedek, but I will check it out.

You don't waste a minute when it comes to religious threads you're always the first to reply and sometimes you direct traffic to your own threads, you have done it to me once or twice. I don't care too much but it is kind of discourteous when all you say is something like:

"I discussed this topic previously in my..."

Link to your thread here

And just bounce as if you have already discussed this so nobody else can discuss it. That is without you posting with a link to your thread the moment theirs/mine goes up.

When I make a thread It's because I find a subject interesting and want to discuss it live online with people.

I don't care about old threads, I want to discuss not lurk and if you don't have any input other than: "check out this other thread" I would appreciate it if you would just add something that you know that is interesting and relevant THEN post a link. Otherwise it serves no purpose than diversion.

ALSO: I added a link to the Genesis Apocryphon which has the virgin birth of Noah. You should have a look.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

There are many points of interest in my thread and questions raised about the almost divine nature of Noah and such that you could easily contribute something more intellectually stimulating than : "Someone else talked about something that has something to do with your thread."

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ElementalFreeze

You don't waste a minute when it comes to religious threads you're always the first to reply and sometimes you direct traffic to your own threads, you have done it to me once or twice. I don't care too much but it is kind of discourteous when all you say is something like

There's nothing in the T&C's regarding using one of your own past threads or posts as a reference. If one of his posts or threads answers your question, then why shouldn't he post it? We all do it at one time or another. At least he doesn't need multiple accounts like some do.

No. I don't think Shem and Melchizedek were the same person. Neither do I think Noah was divine. The bible points to neither as being what you propose. Of course, this is taking the bible by itself. If you want to use external texts, you can come up with all kinds of voodoo.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

It doesn't matter what you think, what matters is what the people whose tradition it was and is think and in Judaism Shem is Melchizedek. That isn't even worth debating. Just because a new religion comes along and voids Shems traditional status as Melchizedek doesn't change a jot or tittle as far as Judaism is concerned.

And as far as Noah being divine, we are all divine as the scripture says it is God's spirit that is in the living man. Noah was capable of bestowing blessings upon generations by calling on God who favored Noah highly.

Then there is the Genesis Apocryphon which has Noah born of a virgin and Lamech thinks he has been betrayed but he searches and finds that she is telling the truth.

I made a link to the Noah virgin birth story that was found among the Dead Sea Scrolls. Apocryphon means secret book so secret book of Genesis is what it is and this was considered scripture to the people who possessed it.

So Noah was out of all the people on earth the one suitable to be the first person from whom we all descend out of the whole pre-deluvian era. I think that combined with his extended lifespan that he passed on to Shem who became Melchizedek, God's priest, makes him a little bit of a divine human.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: KlassifiedShem cold have lived that long.

Isn't it just hilarious that we know who this is but the STAFF does not I guess a good IP mask is all one needs to pull the wool over. But after 30 plus user accounts you would think they would be able to lock him out from the register page. and just let him be a reader.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Just to let you know, there is a link in the OP to the virgin birth of Noah story.

Oh, and why do you come on ats? Every comment you make is negative and all you do is try and hunt down people to disagree with, argue or insult. When you're not busy with conspiracy theories about other people.

It's actually pretty amusing to see someone who tries so hard to convince himself of his own piety by acting the opposite of(piety).

The Christians I know don't behave in the obsessed manner you do. If someone isn't attacking them they are humble and patient and willing to live and let live. You on the other hand are ...there is no word for what you are, I need to invent a new adjective just to describe you.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ElementalFreeze

When the people began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them, the Sons of God saw that they were fair; and they took wives for themselves of all that they chose. Then the LORD said, "My spirit shall not abide in mortals forever, for they are flesh; their days shall be 120 years." Before I begin with the 120 year limit imposed that some would call a curse let me point out that we have God's spirit in us and it is us. We are animated by the spirit(lower case in this instance I assume either to distinguish from the Holy Spirit and/or because the spirit in a human is only a portion of God and not God in total) of God according to Genesis 6:3 and thus of divine ancestry. Awesome.

You are very confused to say the least in that you are mixing Christianity dogma with Hebrew and it is like day and night.
Firstly the Hebrews regard your 120 years of human longevity in the antediluvian period only. It has nothing with your understanding.

The Hebrew God ordered Noah to build an ark in the year of 1536 BCE. God gave the people of that era 120 years to repent or he would destroy them with water. They did not repent in that 120 years of grace and the water began in the year of 1656 BCE. According to Hebrew understanding that is the 120 years of grace for the human antediluvian only.

Your other question "Does anyone know any person in the bible who lived longer than 120 outside of the Semitic line?"
According to most bibles there were Sichon and brother Og who survived the flood of Noah. Og lived up to the days of Moses and was slain by the Hebrews of that era. The biblical books of Deuteronomy and Joshua along with outside books of Ginzberg will probably give you the answer.

You will have to do your own research on this as I will not bother you with any source material and I will not argue your points.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Of course this resumes the discussion which you began in this thread;
Shem as Melchizedek

Some of the points you raise were answered there.

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join