It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cocktails

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

You may like this, it's a bit on the sweeter side and is a famous pre-Prohibition cocktail allegedly invented in World War I France when a solider, coming in from the cold on his sidecar, asked for something that would warm him up. The Sidecar:
    2 ounce Pierre Ferrand cognac
    1/2 ounce Cointreau
    3/4 ounce lemon juice
    1/2 ounce demerara syrup
    1 orange peel

Shake first 4 ingredients with ice until well chilled. Strain into a chilled coup and garnish with orange peel.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

This one you wont like, but it's for me so it works out fine. One of my favorite drinks is a Negroni and it is often quite interesting to take a well-known recipe and regress the ingredients to their original state. In this case we substitute Genever, the precursor to gin, Sherry, the ancestor of vermouth and Cynar, owned by Campari and reported to be an old family recipe that uses artichokes, among other vegetales, in its recipe. The Deconstructed Negroni:
    1 /12 ounces Bols Genever
    1 ounce Amontillado Sherry
    1 ounce Cynar
    1 orange wheel

Stir the first three ingredients with ice until well chilled. Strain into a rocks glass with one large ice cube and garnish with the orange wheel.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I love Jungle Juice cocktail yummy

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: GinFab

Is that with Koolaid or Hi-C?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I'm think of making some martinis later today. I'm just not sure on which is best, vodka or gin.

I was thinking along the lines of
10ml of vermouth
50ml gin or vodka
Lemon peel or green olive (both, maybe?)
And slowly stirred through ice, but shaken.

How does that sound?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

I always make mine with gin. I have a few brands that I use regularly for these.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I was just going to use London dry gin.

One question. Do I have the proportions of gin/vodka to vermouth right? First time I'm going to attempt to make one lol.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Anywhere from 3:1 to 5:1 is considered an acceptable contemporary proportion.

A traditional drink will have a dash of orange bitters and a lemon twist. I prefer them without the bitters and with extra olives.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Thanks for the ratios

I'll make a few different ones and post pics and recipes later. If I've not drunk too many by then lol.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Cool. I have a bunch I made over the weekend I need to put up.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Okay, here's a few I made over the weekend. The first is the Rob Roy which uses Scotland's best export, single malt, and pairs it with spicy/sweet vermouth. The Roby Roy:
    2 ounces single malt Scotch
    3/4 ounce Carpano Antica vermouth
    2 dashes angostura bitters
    brandied cherries to garnish

Mix first three ingredients over ice until well chilled. Strain into a coupe and garnish with cherries.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Next is another classic New Orleans cocktail, the Ramos Gin Fizz. Traditionally these were shaken for 12 minutes each to make an amazingly emulsified drink. Lines of 'shaker boys' would man the bar and continually mix them for thirsty patrons. The orange blossom water can be found near the Mexican or Middle Eastern foods in your supermarket as it is a traditional flavoring for both cuisines.The Ramos Gin Fizz:
    2 ounces Plymouth gin
    1/2 ounce lemon juice
    1/2 ounce lime juice
    1 ounce simple syrup
    1 egg white
    6 drops orange blossom water
    2 ounces club soda

Dry shake all ingredients except soda in a shaker. Fill with ice and then shake again as long as you possibly can. Double strain into a fizz glass and let rest for 30 seconds. Top with club soda.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

That looks tasty. I had to google what Carpano Antica vermouth was though lol.

Is that Glenfarclas 10 year old I see behind the glass?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Here's a traditional cocktail that is sweet without being too sweet. It has been done to death at chain restaurants and is overly cloying. If prepared properly with good booze it is a very tasty drink. The Mai Tai:
    1 1/2ounces Appleton VX rum
    1/2 ounce Cana Brava light rum
    1/2 ounce Amaretto
    1/2 ounce orgeat
    1 ounce lime juice
    1 dash angostura bitters
    Mint for garnish

Short shake all ingredients with three ice cubes and then strain into a snifter filled with cracked ice. Garnish with mint.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

And a nice dessert style drink that used up the egg yolk left over from our Gin Fizz. Drinks with egg white are typically fizzes and those with the yolk are flips. This is the Morning Flip:
    1 ounce Appleton VX rum
    1 ounce Goslings Black Seal rum
    3/4 port
    1 teaspoon simple syrup
    1/4 teaspoon instant espresso
    1 egg yolk
    1 dash angostura bitters

Dry shake all ingredients and then sake again with ice until cold. Double strain into a fancy fizz glass.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
That looks tasty. I had to google what Carpano Antica vermouth was though lol.

Is that Glenfarclas 10 year old I see behind the glass?

Antica is probably the best vermouth out there. Worth the extra money over regular sweet vermouth.

That is the 12 year Glenfarclas.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I was close with 10 years lol.

I'll have a look for it when I'm out tomorrow.

BTW, your double rum and ameretto slushy is my type of drink for the hot summer evenings

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Yeah, it was nice here last weekend when I made this so they went down quick for everyone that was having them.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

This isn't as fancy as the drinks you make but, it made me happy and it is HOmade so

Last night I took a crappy bottle of cabernet (I keep getting wine as gifts, go figure, LOL) and...
poured the whole bottle in a pitcher and added
1 lemon cut up into wedges (always on hand)
1 lime cup up into wedges (always on hand)
1 apple (cored) cut up into wedges
1/2 jar (small) of maraschino cherries (I dunno...15 or so)
1/2 cup of orange juice
4 ozs (maybe) triple sec (always on hand)
1 can of chopped (?) pineapple (can't be bothered with fresh!)

Then, today after coming home from 'audit' week at work I poured it into a glass, added some more orange and cherries and went and sat my behind on the back deck (after mowing the yard) cause dammit, I deserve a little grown up punch!
Anywho...one glass in and I must say that I am quite the mixologist-ish. It's not 'hunch punch' but, it's pretty freaking good.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

You are well on your way to becoming a member of the professional bartender's club.

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join