It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cocktails

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Here's a take on the original Martini recipe which was usually equal parts gin and vermouth. This is from Death and Co. and is called the One, One, One:
    1 ounce London Dry gin
    1 ounce aquavit
    1 ounce Lillet Blanc
    1 dash orange bitters

Stir all ingredients over ice until well chilled. Strain into a chilled coupe. No garnish.

edit on 26-3-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: President, Jacygirl fan club.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Here's a take on the original Martini recipe which was usually equal parts gin and vermouth. This is from Death and Co. and is called the One, One, One:

1 ounce London Dry gin
    1 ounce aquavit
    1 ounce Lillet Blanc
    1 dash orange bitters

So it actually should be called the One, One, One, One....(1111).

That's ridiculously appropriate for me, being one of those "11:11 phenomena" people.

I'm not a big gin fan, but would likely try that. (I'm not sure what Lillet Blanc tastes like?)
jacy

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Lillet Blanc is a wine-based aperitif that is similar to vermouth. It has a bit more herbaceousness and holds up very well with the caraway-like flavor of the aquavit.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Vermouth...is it sweet? (my mother used to sip a sweet vermouth sometimes)
Please pardon my ignorance of alcohol, lol...but my parents rarely drank and I've never been a big drinker.

If it's fairly sweet with a hint of orange, I would probably like it.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl
Please pardon my ignorance of alcohol, lol...but my parents rarely drank and I've never been a big drinker.

Yes, vermouth is on the sweeter side depending on the brand. It can have citrus notes as well but to get a more pronounced undercurrent of orange flavor the bitters I mentioned in the recipe will add a nice flavor and nose.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It can have citrus notes as well but to get a more pronounced undercurrent of orange flavor the bitters I mentioned in the recipe will add a nice flavor and nose.

I would prefer a nice flavour and a little umbrella...(not a nose).

Why exactly do people put little umbrellas in drinks?
(that was a serious question)

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Because it goes with the little plastic sword!

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

[
(that was a serious question)

According to Dale DeGroff, Donn Beach, founder of semi-defunct restaurant and bar chain Don the Beachcomber, is likely to have started the cocktail umbrella trend around 1932. “I don't think it had a life before the tiki cocktail,” he says. “In my mind, [Donn Beach] really created the whole tiki movement. He was the one who sold Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic, all of his stuff when Victor Bergeron wanted to get involved in the tiki world. He’d been collecting all this stuff in the South Pacific after several trips around the world.”

Dale DeGroff is basically God when it comes to cocktails.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Because it goes with the little plastic sword!

Ahh...hahaha...I forgot about the little swords!!

Augustus...Thank you! Amazing how one person can start something that eventually becomes so popular.

I still don't understand a pickle in a Caesar though. A celery stalk I understand, but not a pickle.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I still don't understand a pickle in a Caesar though. A celery stalk I understand, but not a pickle.

That's on you Canadians. You drink them.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

You're right!! Who knew?

"The Caesar’s unique flavour profile has made it one of Canada’s favourite cocktails since the 1970s. Originator Walter Chell, restaurant manager of the Owl’s Nest bar in the Calgary Inn (now the Westin), set out to create a liquid version of spaghetti alle vongole in rosso (spaghetti with clams and tomato) in 1969. The result was the Bloody Caesar, consisting of vodka, clam nectar, tomato juice, lime, Worcestershire sauce and celery salt."

The Bloody Caesar Cocktail

I actually had no idea that they were Canadian.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

It's for all intents your national drink. I like them and not just for the fact a pisano created it, they taste pretty damn good.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I was surprised to find that it's a Canadian invention, but like you said...invented by an Italian.

We are so multi-cultural here that it's hard to find much that's truly Canadian though. Most of the people I know are first generation Canadians like me, and we all incorporate our family's heritage into our food and drink.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I think I will add that here at some point, I forgot how much I like them and Clamato juice is good stuff.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Made some pork Kakuni today, using this guy's recipe, however I found out I could have cheated using a pressure cooker, after the fact, I also made a boo boo with the drinks, I went with Saki which meant no matter how dry it is there was bound to be some sweetness, as many of you know sweet on top of sweet don't really work, at least it didn't for me, so off I went to the local family mart and pick up some Yebsu beer, then it was on ..conquest on my terms..btw you can sub chicken if you want, because some of us are scared lil punnanies who can't handle a bit of fat..

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Here they sell pre-made Caesars and they're really popular.
I know quite a few people who have "Caesar Sundays", lol.

Ooh, Spider brought food!

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Food N drinks goes well together sister, someone brought the booze i'll bring the food.

edit on 26-3-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Here they sell pre-made Caesars and they're really popular.

I would most likely make my own, the premades are never spicy enough for me.

edit on 26-3-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: President, Jacygirl fan club.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Food N drinks goes well together sister someone bought the booze i'll bring the food.

Awesome Spider!
Us ATSer's throw the best parties, lol.

Augustus...The red box (in the pic I posted above) is supposed to be the extra-spicy version, but they really aren't that hot (literally). Home-made is still best but it's booze, so for a lot of people it's quantity over quality.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

...so for a lot of people it's quantity over quality.

Those people would never get an invite to my home since they would never appreciate it anyway.

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join