It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cocktails

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
As most of you are already aware we lost one of our best members recently, BlupBlup. I enjoyed his posts and our conversations immensely and to honor him the best I could I came up with a drink I decided to name in his honor. Fall always makes me nostalgic so whenever I make this drink in the future, which combines different flavors of the season, I can think of him and our good times on ATS. The BlupBlup:
    3/4 Ounce Old Overholt Rye
    3/4 Ounce Laird's Applejack
    1/4 Ounce Appleton Estate rum
    1/4 Ounce Green Chartreuse
    1/4 Ounce spiced simple syrup (recipe is above)
    1 Orange twist

Mix all ingredients over ice until chilled. Strain into a double rocks glass with one large ice cube. Garnish with the twist. Toast your friend and think of happy times.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Debate Debacle drinks?
Any suggestions?

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Everclear. Straight.

It's the only thing that will give you alcohol poisoning fast enough so you don't have to watch.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Now that high school football season is almost over AND summer (BOO!) and the track space is becoming more available...after a vigorous walk this evening I wanted something a little different.
Not your typical lemon drop, this is a lemon drop daiquiri.
For you Mason, I'll post the recipe although we both know that I don't tend to follow recipes or rules but, that's a conversation for another time.

2 oz (who's measuring!) plain ol' Captain Morgan Rum
1 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice (Yep! The real deal although the concentrate is more 'tart' and I thought it may be fun to put a real lemon drop candy in it but didn't! I happen to have some for the coming holiday.)
1/2 oz Triple Sec (I use my old standby however, it is NOT fancy!)
1/2 oz simple syrup (most recipes call for this but, as with many other mixed drinks, it is NOT my preference. Too sweet for me)
Let's see...run the lemon wedge around the rim of a pretty glass that you like and dip it in sugar (sanding sugar or whatever...I used just regular old sugar, another reason the simple syrup isn't needed IMO)
Mix all of your liquids together, I just use a pitcher, and pour into your sugar rimmed glass over ice, garnish with lemon or lime. I tried lime also going for a lemon/lime combo and it worked well. YUM!
Now the stemware, cause I know you like the presentation! I found these (inexpensive) glasses in some chain store a long time ago and use them often. They're fun and this one is blue and since I'm feeling a little blue...it seemed appropriate. I like having fun with service of food and drinks. For example, I drink my margaritas from a 'rocks' glass.
Okay picture time!

It was cool, crisp and refreshing and since summer seems to be hanging on a little while longer here in Tennessee...apropos

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Very nice, I like the presentation and choice of stemware.

I'd let you work my home bar any day.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Very nice, I like the presentation and choice of stemware.

I'd let you work my home bar any day.

You mean I've earned the chance to come out of the basement?

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Literally moving up in the world.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I will need to make a special trip to the liquor store for this one - to purchase exactly all of the ingredients :-)

Sorry so long - a bit slow here lately

Really nice Augustus - will definitely toast with this one when I get together with his friends

I'll insist - even if they'd rather have beer

thank you

:-)
edit on 10/19/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I'm happy you liked it.

If you can't track something down let me know and I will get it for you.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
This is a drink that will make even non-Bourbon drinkers love bourbon. The combination of sweet, sour and spicy is fantastic. I prefer rye since I am a professional but make it with a softer bourbon such as Buffalo Trace and your friends will kiss you. Potentially even with the tongue. The Cherry Bourbon Sour:
    1 1/2 Ounces bourbon or rye
    1/2 Ounce Ruby port
    1/2 Ounce lemon juice
    1/2 Ounce rosemary simple syrup*
    1/2 Ounce peppercorn simple syrup*
    Cocktail cherries for garnish

*Add a sprig of rosemary and 2 tablespoons of mixed peppercorns respectively to your standard simple syrup recipe or substitute with 1 ounce regular simple syrup

Combine the bourbon, port, simple syrup and lemon juice in a shaker. Fill half way with ice and shake until very cold. Strain into a double rocks glass with one large ice cube and garnish with the cherries.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Irish whiskey does not get enough play in the cocktail world, it is usually overshadowed by bourbon or Scotch but I picked this recipe up on my recent visit to Chicago's Drake Hotel. The lightness of the whiskey plays nicely with the herbaceous notes in the amaro. The Troubles:
    1 1/2 Ounces Bushmill's 10 or 16 year whiskey
    1/2 Ounce Nonino amaro
    3 Dashes orange bitters
    1 orange cherry flag

Mix the whiskey and amaro over ice until well chilled. Strain into a double rocks glass with one large ice cube. Top with bitters and garnish with flag.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

You know that I am NOT a Bourbon drinker but, this sounds yummy enough to try.
I like the idea of cutting (not the right word but, it's early) the simple syrup with those spices and the whole cocktail sounds like an extremely interesting flavor combination.

I prefer rye since I am a professional but make it with a softer bourbon such as Buffalo Trace and your friends will kiss you. Potentially even with the tongue.

I may try it and if I don't like, after all, I know quite a few folks who will

and since you've suggested (practically guarantee) I will get kisses for serving it...

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
You know that I am NOT a Bourbon drinker but, this sounds yummy enough to try.
I like the idea of cutting (not the right word but, it's early) the simple syrup with those spices and the whole cocktail sounds like an extremely interesting flavor combination.

The drink is quite good, even the wife, who does not like bourbon, likes this one.

...and since you've suggested (practically guarantee) I will get kisses for serving it...

You will. I stand behind my recipes with a French Kissing guarantee.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Here's one for you, the Cucumber Pimm's Cup with Pimms #1, cucumber liqueur, lemon juice and ginger beer. And you need to drink it at a historic hotel bar:

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Here's one for you, the Cucumber Pimm's Cup with Pimms #1, cucumber liqueur, lemon juice and ginger beer. And you need to drink it at a historic hotel bar:

Yes!

I'll take one of those. Perhaps the Netherlands could serve as the backdrop?

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Considering that's where the picture is from, why not?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Not every drink needs to have high proof spirits on the ingredient list. There are many wine-based types of liqueurs that can be used as the key component. When it comes to vermouth many people are not aware that there are vastly different levels of quality and those on the higher end of the quality spectrum taste radically better than the industrial, low-cost products. Carpano Antica vermouth is one of the best ones and well worth the extra $10-15 price point over the likes of Martini and Rossi or comparable, entry level vermouths. It is the standout in the cocktail where it pairs well with dry Luxardo and herbaceous Campari. The Tuscano:
    1 1/2 Ounces Carpano Antica vermouth
    1 Ounce Campari
    3/4 Ounce Luxardo maraschino liqueur
    1 Orange wheel for garnish

Stir the first three ingredients over ice until chilled and strain into a double rocks glass with one large ice cube. Garnish with the orange wheel.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Ahhhh, my virtual bar and bar master. So good, so good. ..... Augie, about a month and a half ago, I found out that Laird's Applejack was unavailable in my area, even though it had been listed in the store inventory as an item they carry. So, puzzle solved when I found out that Laird's had run out of this year's supply. I ended up buying apple brandy. Laird's next year!

Ok, so I get back to this thread and find talk of wine cocktails. Perfect! At the beginning of October I wanted to buy three bottles of a "Halloween" and "Day of the Dead" wine for the season. I went up and down the wine aisles till I found exactly what I wanted..... bottles with a label that looked seasonal. Turned out that the wine in them was much better than I had expected.

Anyway, since I had switched to drinking out of my seasonal wine glass, which was really a flute with a skeleton hand holding it, I wasn't imbibing in a lot at once, so I thought, "Hmmmm, what else could I do with all this wine?" My husband happened to wonder if there were any wine cocktails, and he printed some out for me, but then I thought in general, "What if I 'fortified' it with hard liquor?"

So, into the red wine went pear liqueur. Good. Apple brandy. Good. Cointreau Noir ..... couldn't help buying it, it was a new product and the store has "buy 4 items, get 10% off", fell into my basket.... also good. Love experimenting.

Will end here, but one more thing. A friend is making homemade mead to give out for Christmas. She drew out a little for a tasting. Wow! That was some good stuff.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: desert
Ahhhh, my virtual bar and bar master. So good, so good. ..... Augie, about a month and a half ago, I found out that Laird's Applejack was unavailable in my area, even though it had been listed in the store inventory as an item they carry. So, puzzle solved when I found out that Laird's had run out of this year's supply. I ended up buying apple brandy. Laird's next year!

I know, the cocktail boom has really put a demand on their product. You can try the Total Wine in West Orange, NJ, they had some this weekend. They may be able to ship to you or if you have a branch nearby they could transfer it in.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Thanks for the info re Laird's.

I happened upon another new (at least to me) rum product: Capt Morgan Jack-O'Blast pumpkin spiced rum. Ooooh, a devilish delight. Great as a shot, but found three cocktail recipes for it at 3 Captain Morgan Jack-O’Blast Recipes for Fall

I'm sometimes a sucker for the container

new topics

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join