It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cocktails

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I can see why it's easy to get hammered on something like this. A lot of non alcohol taste and candy lol.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Quite a busy thread! Well, it's been so hot here for so long, the new normal, I guess, that we dug out our shaved ice maker and even bought a handheld one for the bar. I get to use use my iced tea straw spoons for our regular and adult snow cones. Then I saw the Zazzberry. Thank you, God..... or Augie.... as it will be perfect, just have to round up strawberry liqueur and Aquavit.

Something I now do have on hand, but too late for our Chinese New Year's party and wet bar inaugural this year unfortunately, is Lychee liqueur. Then I saw the Beijing Bellini. Something else perfect for this summer. Another round of Thanks!

Ok, now a question. Augie, do you use bitters? That bottle of chocolate mole bitters, that I had to buy for the one cocktail, called to me the other morning. It said in a tiny voice, "Use me in your coffee." Well, I put six drops in, and now have a new use for the stuff. I also bookmarked a site for cooking with bitters. So now I don't feel that I'm being wasteful if I buy more flavors.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert
Ok, now a question. Augie, do you use bitters? That bottle of chocolate mole bitters, that I had to buy for the one cocktail, called to me the other morning. It said in a tiny voice, "Use me in your coffee." Well, I put six drops in, and now have a new use for the stuff. I also bookmarked a site for cooking with bitters. So now I don't feel that I'm being wasteful if I buy more flavors.

I do use them quite regularly and there are a few drinks in the thread where I call on them.

If you like unusal bitters Fee Brothers and Bitterman's are the two best. If you ever make it to NYC there is a bitters hop in Alphabet City near Death and Co that is great.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Thank you! I feel better about my bitters.
------------------

"Class, remember," the teacher cheerily chirped, "there are no stupid questions."

desert raises hand.....

"Oh, gawd," thinks the teacher, "not another stupid question from desert!"
"Yes, desert," the teacher cheerily chirps, "what is it?"
--------------------

Ok, so, Augie, I have another question. I have a Lewis bag now, but I didn't order the wooden mallet that was paired with it. I thought, why buy another mallet when I could wrap a towel around my metal meat flattener/tenderizer mallet and use it to crush ice in the Lewis bag. Should I have bought the wooden mallet or do you think the metal mallet could work, i.e. not destroy the Lewis bag somehow, and/or crush the ice properly?

desert raises hand again.....

Augie, someone online has a question re the swizzle stick. I think that s/he is using it in a Collins glass, as mine works in my shaker and would work in a mixing container. Anyway, their question asks whether or not they could trim the radial ends to fit. Personally, after paying what I did for that thing, I cannot conceive of trimming it! I'm thinking trimming is probably possible if the wood doesn't splinter, but why bother when one could just use a larger diameter glass. What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance!
edit on 26-6-2016 by desert because: add "s"

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: desert

I use my metal meat tenderizing hammer's flat side and it works just fine. The canvas is very heavy and I think the ice would damage it more than the mallet anyway.

As for the swizzle, I would personally not trim it but you can easily cut them back to fit a smaller glass.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
You daughter is right on this one. It is all your clear liquors; 1 Ounce tequila, rum, vodka, gin and triple sec with an ounce of lemon juice. Add 4 ounces Coke and garnish with lime wedges.

One of my favorite drinks.
Dangerous though as I can't tell I'm drinking alcohol.

Summer/Iced Tea.

I went to a local Italian restaurant a couple nights ago and had 3.
I am a well seasoned drinker. I can handle my liquor.
I did recommend to the bartender that she never serve anyone more than 3.
I was buzzing like a bee.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Wow how did I miss this thread..

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

That is the same thing I said to myself when I first found Augies thread. He make some awesome cocktails.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Well, we have another pro in here now.

What are you gonna make us from the Land of the Rising Sun?

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Spider879

Well, we have another pro in here now.

What are you gonna make us from the Land of the Rising Sun?

You know it gonna be rum based.
I have two variations on the same mixture

Get a bottle of Wray & Nephew white accept no substitute , the aroma and taste is very important.
Grape fruit juice without the pits.
a shaker with some ice.
fill your timble cup to 45.
pour that into your shaker with ice.
add grapefruit juice to shaker, close and give a quick rapid shake, pour contents into rock glass,
there you are done.
there is another version and not my original

You’ll need: 15ml fresh lime juice 35ml Wray and Nephew Overproof Rum 1 can Ting Combine in a tall glass with plenty of ice, and garnish with a slice of fresh lime and a grapefruit spiral.

Ting is a citrus drink in a can sold in Caribbean supermarkets.

B/S: it's given name can anyone figure it out??
Rum Caruba or Capt Morgan dark...ignore Myers
Rock glass with ice
grape fruit juice
pour grape fruit juice a lil more than half way up,
fill the rest with rum..do not stir at this point.
if you are with that special someone or not so special but the moment is right, do a cheer, take a quick sip, that will leave a slightly bitter taste in your mouth, ask that someone hopefully with clean index finger to stir it for you or vis versa licking off the liquid off each others fingers , at this time it's a bit sweet with a sour after taste.
the philosophy behind this drink is..Life is bitter sweet enjoy it.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Since it is summer and my garden to starting to produce ingredients I can use in cocktails I decided to make a couple featuring them. The first is a smash which is a type of cocktail where you muddle various ingredients together and then, after chilling, pour directly into the glass. While this type of drink is not relegated to the warmer weather I like the way it works with the summer' seasonal ingredients. The Bourbon Peach Smash:
    2 Ounces bourbon
    1 1/2 Ounces simple syrup
    1 Ounce lemon juice
    2-3 Slices of peeled fresh ginger
    6 Large mint leaves plus a sprig for garnish
    1/2 Peach (riper the better)
    2 Ounces seltzer (optional)

Muddle the mint, peach, ginger and lemon in a shaker. Add the bourbon, syrup and 5-6 large ice cubes. Shake until well chilled and pour unstrained into a highball glass. Top with seltzer if using and garnish with a mint sprig. Serve with a straw.

That's my friend, by the way, saying, 'Hurry up and take the damn picture'.

edit on 9-7-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I like paring veggies/fruit with herbs for additional flavor profiles. A great combination is cucumbers and basil. This is one of my wife's favorites. Cucumber Basil Cocktail:
    2 Ounces vodka
    1 Ounce simple syrup
    1 Small cucumber (about 3-4 inches)
    8 Basil leaves plus more for garnish
    1 Ounce lime juice
    2 Ounces seltzer

Muddle the cucumber, basil and lime in a shaker. Add the vodka and syrup. Shake until well chilled and double strain into a highball glass filled with ice. Top with seltzer and garnish with basil. Serve with a straw.

edit on 9-7-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I am going to try this tonight for my date. Thank you!

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
This next cocktail is a warm weather take on the Old Fashioned using some fresh rosemary from the garden. If you want to get extra fancy you can freeze sprigs of rosemary into your oversize ice cubes. The Rosemary Ginger Old Fashioned:
    2 Ounces bourbon or rye
    1/4 Ounce Absinthe
    1 Ounce simple syrup
    2 Slices fresh ginger
    1 Sprig fresh rosemary plus extra for garnish
    2 Dashes angostura bitters

Rinse a chilled double rocks glass with absinthe and dump out. Muddle the bitters, rosemary, ginger and simple syrup in a mixing glass. Add ice and bourbon/rye to the glass. Stir until well chilled and double strain into the rocks glass. Garnsih with rosemary.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

That sounds nice. The ginger sounds interesting too. I've had ginger in drinks before, but it's normally grated, not sliced.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
That sounds nice. The ginger sounds interesting too. I've had ginger in drinks before, but it's normally grated, not sliced.

This imparts a more subtle flavor since it is muddled and then strained out. I like how the spiciness of the ginger compliments the bourbon and rosemary.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

So it's hint, rather than a flavour.

You should try some grated ginger with brandy and honey. Not sure what you'd be able to do with it, but it tastes nice.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
So it's hint, rather than a flavour.

Exactly, more of a background note.

You should try some grated ginger with brandy and honey. Not sure what you'd be able to do with it, but it tastes nice.

Maybe when the weather gets cooler I can try and concoct something.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hybiscus Whiskey Sour.
Steep a dozen red hibiscus flowers in about 12 oz of hot water until the color leaches from the petals.
This will give you a reddish-brown tea.
Squeeze lime into it until a chemical reaction occurs that turns it bright red.
Add a double shot of Jack Daniels Single Barrel and stir.
Pour over rocks and enjoy.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I'll be back with a recipe later, but in the meantime allow me to make the PSA.
Never drink with Russians,Germans and Aussies at the same table.
Yes you will have fun and lots of it but you will pay damnmit!! as they will insist on you participating in concoctions not meant to be on the same table much less in your stomach at the same time, plus as their accents are very thick and thicker as the nite rolls on , the only recognizable words you will make out is Yaah & Daah and cheers mate.
Plus they get all man huggie and Russians like to kiss you on the cheek over and over again ..check pls.

edit on 10-7-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join