It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cocktails

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Right now we're merely discussing the merits and timeline of cocktails' history and development.
I read his OP.

But, yeah, I have a beer next to me now. Don't know what he's up to.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Come to think of it, you know James Bond was real big in the 60s and 70s - airline passengers were well-heeled, plane interiors were lounge-like, and complex liquor cabinets were very common, even in the Midwest. So I'm not really sure still why you consider it to have been so lack-luster.

Cocktails took a nose dive in the 70's and 80's. It was just not popular to use 'brown' booze for a drink. If you look at overall bourbon production it bottomed out in that era and did not really pick up until the 90's. Vodka did well due to marketing, most notably by Aboslut. People thought vodka was cool and just about every drink was made with it. Even now, next time you are in a liquor store, take a look at the facings vodka has versus other spirits.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
Your silly Buzzy! Beer breakfast!

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'll ask my bestie Sarah, too - she works at the liquor store where I shop....
she was formerly a Food and Bev manager for resorts and hotels in Puerto Rico...

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

But, yeah, I have a beer next to me now. Don't know what he's up to.

About to head into New York to go shopping and stay at the Waldorf (where they have a great cocktail bar).

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Beer buzz in the morning is sometimes fun. In Shakespeare's time, people drank a gallon of beer a day - all day long.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

sigh.

Wish I could carry your bags or something.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

sigh.

Wish I could carry your bags or something.

I always wanted a valet.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I have been to the Waldorf, great cocktail bar!!! I think you might own it.
edit on 5 29 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Death and Co is on the agenda for tonight as well.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Even now, next time you are in a liquor store, take a look at the facings vodka has versus other spirits.

I hadn't thought of that but you are correct!
There's an entire shelving unit (5 or 6 tiers high I think!) dedicated to Vodka in the local store I frequent.

So many choices for a Bloody Mary...odd...

:/

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
433 E Sixth Street NY NY, never been to that bar but it looks cool, I like the East Village area! Have fun

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Yeah, it's kind of sad. Marketing has convinced people that they should be drinking a flavorless alcoholic beverage and the companies all compete to see who can make theirs with the least amount of flavor (Distilled five times!).

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

One of the best, up there with the Dead Rabbit and Employees Only.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I will be in NY in August for a week, staying at 47th and 7th. We will meet up for a cocktail if your in town. If you want to meet up lol

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Dead rabbit I know about, love it.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I'm your gal! And I'm not an eyesore, either. You wouldn't have to be embarrassed or put a bag over my head.
LOL!!

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

*makes popcorn and puts feet up

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

That purple Employees Only's drink on their website is beautiful!!
Wow. Jacy's purple rain was lovely as well.

Thanks for this amazing thread.
You truly are an artisan, sir. Do you have these recipes all memorized?
Astounding.
edit on 5/30/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

So, what did you have at the Waldorf and later Death & Co.?

edit on 5/30/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

AM, I'm new to all this (I'm retired now--I probably should have drunk more when I worked haha), but I read your first page and found it to contain the very best of helpful information.

I don't know why I was afraid to use a cocktail shaker before, or make simple syrup, but now I can shake and make in my sleep. My BFF has always loved martinis, even to the point of storing her own martini glass and vermouth here to make martinis when she visited, so she is thrilled that I can now make them.

I confess that I only recently reclaimed my wet bar from my cat, who is too old to jump up to use it as a watering station. Mea culpa, I also found new storage places for the candles and vases in the cupboards.

Since today is the official start of Summer parties, I wanted to share a recipe I found, Sweet Corn Cocktail. It does sound a little weird, but it is tasty. To personalize it, we call it by the name of our local corn growing family.

1/4 cup fresh corn kernels--- cut from the cob is the best
1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 ounce demerara syrup (simple syrup using this type of sugar)---- I sent away for some, then found out I could have gotten it locally!)
1 1/2 ounce dark rum--- which I interpreted as my favorite, Meyer's dark rum, but, no, use a golden rum
3 drops mole bitters--- I used Bitterman's Xocolatl Mole Bitters
Ice

Muddle the corn in the bottom of a cocktail shaker until the kernels are mashed and a milky liquid forms.
Add the lime juice, demerara syrup, rum and bitters.
Fill shaker with ice and shake for about 10 seconds.

Using both the cocktail strainer and a fine mesh strainer, strain the cocktail into a glass.

I garnished with a cocktail pick, on which I had skewered a few fresh corn kernels. It is a beautiful light yellow drink.

If I can't get all the ingredients for a cocktail, I will substitute. Will it turn out the same? No. Will it be acceptable? Usually yes.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join