It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cocktails

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
MAKE ME A GIN AND TONIC EMERGENCY STAT!!!
I need the quinine.

This hotel room had a Mozzie bite me to bits last night.

Hashtag#JustsaynotoZika

edit on 28-5-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Mosquito cocktail:
    2 Ounces BarSol Mosto Verde Italia pisco
    1 Ounce fresh lime juice
    3/4 Ounce simple syrup
    6 Mint leaves plus 1 sprig

Place mint leaves and syrup in a shaker and lightly muddle. Add pisco, lime juice and fill half way with ice. Shake until cold and pour into a double rocks glass with one large ice cube. Garnish with mint sprig. Get Zika and die since this has no tonic. Leave Augie as sole benefactor.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Oh So what is the mourning cocktail for my wake, now that you want me dead?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

The Corpse Reviver, duh:
    1 Ounce London dry gin
    1 Ounce Cocchi Americano or Lillet Blanc
    1 Ounce Cointreau
    1 Ounce fresh lemon juice
    1 Dash absinthe
    1 Orange peel for garnish

Shake all ingredients together in an ice-filled cocktail shaker and double strain into a chilled coupe. Garnish with orange peel. Rejoice in the Jesus-like resurrection of the immortal Zazz.

edit on 28-5-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Well that sounds nice dear, so long as I get to keep my curves, I don't like being cadaver thin.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Your gloriously curvaceous figure will remain unmarred by your untimely demise and subsequent revival.

The plus side is your watch would have ended. Bye-bye Wall.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Other than my head size right? It may look weird all Zika tiny.

There is a Wall in Sydney where all the male prostitutes go and stand selling their wares. 'Bout time I get let outa that gig!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I see tiny hats in your future.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Tiny Hats were all the rage at the local Renaissance Festival a few years ago.
Made to fit a squirrel, and people were pinning them on their heads like it was 'cute'.

Don't wear Tiny Hats unless you're a Tiny Hamster. Mkay?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
...Tiny Hamster.

Segue into Richard Gere joke...

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

edit on 28-5-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I have finally read your thread OP here.
Very informative.

I'm glad to know the name of those weird utensils with the bent slinky and the disc-shaped head.
Also - all the names of the glassware and stemware is cool.

Why "Nick and Nora"? Who are they?

Sadly, in my house, we have only rocks glasses, two port glasses, and beer steins.
Does the vessel actually improve the taste? How does that work?

Why is a pilsner glass for pilsners, but a stein is for ales? What difference does it make?

And lastly - in the early 80s I was working as a cocktail waitress out in Breckenridge CO. My brother was a bartender. There was a very brisk business going on - so, I'm curious about how the drinks were not catching on....
was I just in a party-town of epic historical significance?

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Good tune. Mo-Town always works.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Why "Nick and Nora"? Who are they?

Nick and Nora Charles are two Dashiell Hammett characters who are depicted as enjoying martinis in his novels.

Sadly, in my house, we have only rocks glasses, two port glasses, and beer steins.
Does the vessel actually improve the taste? How does that work?

Not so much the taste for cocktails but how the drink is assembled and presented. When I get around to making fizzes you cannot place them in a coupe you actually need a fizz glass since it allows the foam to rise properly.

Why is a pilsner glass for pilsners, but a stein is for ales? What difference does it make?

I use various glasses for the different types of beer and wine that I serve and there is a noticeable difference in both aroma and taste. The various shapes allow you to fully appreciate the subtleties of each varietal.

And lastly - in the early 80s I was working as a cocktail waitress out in Breckenridge CO. My brother was a bartender. There was a very brisk business going on - so, I'm curious about how the drinks were not catching on....
was I just in a party-town of epic historical significance?

Were they vodka-based cocktails?

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

A lot of them were, yes.
Not too much exotic stuff...but some. We had lots of wealthy jet-setters come for ski vacations. Lots of Texans with big mouths and deep pockets who didn't tip worth a crap.....

as far as staff went - we mostly just did shots with beer backs.

Still - prior to that, in the late 70s, early 80s, I was known to frequent "night clubs", and cocktails were common then, too. (I was also a tavern tender and a cocktail waitress (waitron) during college.)
Lots of different ones. Daquiris, Margaritas, Martinis, Gimlets, Gin Tonics, 7&7, Sunrises, Bloody Marys, Mimosas, Cuba Libres, etc. Scotch rocks or neat was a staple in our house...
and good wine.
And beer.

I love beer. A pilsner fan, mostly. Lagers - some. Dark beers like Guiness - no. IPAs, yes, usually okay.

edit on 5/29/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

A lot of them were, yes.

Well, thank God they did not catch on then. Vodka is amateur hour.

Still - prior to that, in the late 70s, early 80s, I was known to frequent "night clubs", and cocktails were common then, too.
Lots of different ones. Daquiris, Margaritas, Martinis, Gimlets, Gin Tonics, 7&7, Sunrises, Bloody Marys, Mimosas, Cuba Libres, etc.

Sadly, that was the Dark Ages for the cocktail. All of those are rather simplistic and do not allow you to enjoy the different flavor profiles of the various base spirits and mixers that are available. I would also wager that most of them were prepared with premade bases; frozen margaritas, bottled bloody mary mix, etc.

I love beer. A pilsner fan, mostly. Lagers - some. Dark beers like Guiness - no. IPAs, yes, usually okay.

I vary them depending on the season but if I had to pick a favorite it would be Alagash White.

edit on 29-5-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I would also wager that most of them were prepared with premade
bases; frozen margaritas, bottled bloody mary mix, etc.

No, actually they were made with separate ingredients and liquors, liqueurs, condiments like worcestershire, lemon, etc.
"Call" drinks were made with whatever specific brands the customer preferred.
"House" drinks were often made of less-spendy brands.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Are you and Augie having cocktails?

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Come to think of it, you know James Bond was real big in the 60s and 70s - airline passengers were well-heeled, plane interiors were lounge-like, and complex liquor cabinets were very common, even in the Midwest. So I'm not really sure still why you consider it to have been so lack-luster.

O_o

I'm not doubting that you know better than I do, obviously you are a master at cocktails (and I'm very impressed), but I don't recall there being such a dearth of sophistication. Even we 20-somethings had some discerning taste in our drinks.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Bonus points for them. They were the rare exception to the rule.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join