It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We ET, Time Travellers and Living in The Past?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
What if our ancestors were sent into the distant past as punishment for crimes in a future where capital punishment is outlawed...sort of a Botany Bay kind of thing.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Thread of the night so far.

People claim that there is only the now, the past doesn't exist and neither does the future. So, time travel would be impossible if that is the case.

But what if they do exist and sometimes what people see and experienced is the overlapping of time, be that the present-past or the present-future? It would certainly explain a lot of paranormal stuff. I remember a story about someone in the US walking across a corn field of a region where US civil war battles were fought and seeing a troop of soldiers marching across the field. They apparently inquired into whether there was any activities taking place in that field at the time and so I understand there were none. This could be considered an example of present-past overlapping and if true then the past present and future are in continued existence all the time.

Different dimensions, yes, time travel no.

But even then that would mean different dimensions being in a separate timeline.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

That would make Yogi Berra a genius! "Hey Yogi! What time is it?!" Yogi, "You mean right now?"

Which timeline do you set your watch to? I am sure the answer has something to do particle decay at rate x. Or, how about some universal constant?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
The implications being that an entity who perceives space more fully might see short-cuts in the distance side of spacetime as well.

Sure. That's the trick. We're kind of stuck in our own perceptions, which are very limited because of our biological evolution. But just like the way our eyes can only see a small segment of the EM spectrum, perhaps our brains can only see certain very limited parts of the overall spacetime "matrix" (for lack of a better word). An entity with a broader perception of spacetime might just look at a situation and easily see that traveling from one end of the universe to the other is just a matter of "stepping sideways" through the obvious folds, and that "here" and "now" are the same thing as "there" and "a billion years ago."
edit on 14-4-2016 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Which timeline do you set your watch to? I am sure the answer has something to do particle decay at rate x. Or, how about some universal constant?

One quality about time is that it is apparently personal, which is something ordinary mathematics isn't very good at handling. Math is fundamentally flawed as a way to describe the universe because it doesn't account for the fact that we all perceive it individually through our own separate eyeballs (history of experiences). Which is why if I could figure out how to go "back" in time and kill my own grandfather, I wouldn't cease to exist. It's because in my personal timeline, my grandfather wasn't killed by me before I was born. I would continue with my life in my own personal timeline until I died.

So I set my watch according to whatever I have available to me, and carry it along wherever and whenever I travel, just like I do now.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
We always live in the past. Everything you see around you is actually in the past. You never see the actual present.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

By definition we are aliens as soon as we leave Earth, so we are alien to quite probably billions of different alien races if we were ever to go to their home planet, system, or colonies/outposts.

As for time travel, I am only aware and knowledgeable of it in a cerebral sense, not physical displacement. Still, quite a bit has been learned via this method (RV).

You have to consider dimensional variety when dealing with that type of "travel." You could end up in this that or the other reality.

As for living the future's past, my understanding is that time is always NOW, past and future are like the waves of probabability of electromagnetism, whereas the present is the particulate, solidified and collapsed form of the wave into one solid reality.

Take if for what it's worth.

edit on 14-4-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: OneGoal

Star for the idea that the now is the collapse of a probability wave into the present. I really like how that one sounds, the waves could be traveling in any direction in time (froward, backwards or sideways) when they collapse and become the now. It's quite a novel concept to play with in the mind.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I beleive that god is a time traveler, and that humans are made in the image of themselves.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Time travlers can only travel to alternate realities. It is a fundamental rule of interdimensional time travel.

If a traveler were to time travel within one's own dimension and create a butterfly, the infinite changes that would have to occur resulting from that small change would destroy that universes time fabric.

Thus a time traveler can only travel to the current time in a parallel universe whether that time is in the past or future relative to the universe you came from has no bearings on the past or future of ones own home universe.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Something that my niece said to me when she was 9 (15 years ago) that has always stuck in my mind, it really made wonder about it, especially coming from a child:

She said "What if Heaven and Hell is real, but we're already dead living in Hell, and the people here in Hell when they die have served there worth and go to Heaven (another world)".

Food for thought

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Good question. How do you suppose we test your theory? Is there something I could do to see if it changes through time, yet know what changed without knowing because it changed?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join