It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.2 Magnitude Quake hits Japan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
CNN

At least 2 dead, 19 homes collapsed. The shallow depth of the quake made it particularly dangerous.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the magnitude-6.2 quake struck near Ueki, Japan. Several smaller aftershocks occurred shortly afterward.

750K-900k people felt the quake.

This is a developing story as more images come in.

"The strongest shaking was right where the most people live" in the area, he said.

Aftershocks are expected for a week.
edit on 14-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

An unknown number of people were still trapped under collapsed buildings Thursday night, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Shallow is good for Tsunamis, too. Was the epicenter off the coast or inland---

Linky
edit on 14-4-2016 by intrptr because: link

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Godzilla!!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The epicenter is under Maskiki, inland.

Near the larger city of Kumamoto.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
There's been a few quakes over the last 48 hours, scientists are a little worried that there's a big one coming
www.express.co.uk...#
edit on April000000Thu, 14 Apr 2016 13:47:30 -0500Thu, 14 Apr 2016 13:47:30 -050016012016b42016 by Furryhobnob because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

No threat of a Tsunami thankfully, although there has been an additional 6.5 quake since the 6.2.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

it sure would be unfortunate if there were a vulnerable nuclear facility in that area~

Oh wait!

ETA: 650 miles from Fukushima - nvm
edit on 14-4-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

They were talking about it on Quake Watch 2016 thread as the story broke (in Japanese!). The fear is that this is a storm of quakes leading to one large one. 6.2 original with a 6.0 aftershock? It is pretty scary because it now after midnight there.

A portion of the Kumamoto castle wall collapsed.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

it sure would be unfortunate if there were a vulnerable nuclear facility in that area~

Oh wait!

ETA: 650 miles from Fukushima - nvm

According to Reuters, Japanese nuclear regulators report there are no problems with nuclear power plants.

reuters

The Nuclear Regulatory Authority in Japan does not have the best track record, but that is very far from Fukushima.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Here's some video I posted in an earlier, (unconnected) thread,

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I hope this isn't Fukushima going full 'china syndrome', small nuke explosions going off as it melts it's way to the planet core.

Would be just typical for this to be hidden from us so we don't know the true cause of this rash of quakes. The MSM specialize in bull# and cover ups these days. God knows what's true anymore. Really.

Scary days.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

No threat of a Tsunami thankfully, although there has been an additional 6.5 quake since the 6.2.

Then an associated swarm, maybe?

Or precursors… its a strike slip fault zone, not a subduction zone according to the link I brought.

The former being a good thing, relatively speaking. Subduction zone quakes are the strongest, potentially.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The Fukishima cores are burning their way down into the earth.....Your concerns could be right on the money.....
I have been waiting for the word on those cores since they burned through the chamber floors fairly soon after the disaster started....
I concur on the possibility most hearily sir...

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: angus1745
I hope this isn't Fukushima going full 'china syndrome', small nuke explosions going off as it melts it's way to the planet core.

Would be just typical for this to be hidden from us so we don't know the true cause of this rash of quakes. The MSM specialize in bull# and cover ups these days. God knows what's true anymore. Really.

Scary days.

Or...it could just be an earthquake in an earthquake-prone zone.

There are about 10 or more earthquakes a day in Oklahoma due to fracking, but we just let them frack away. I am sort of afraid Oklahoma might disappear into a huge sinkhole one day, but I am sure scientists would disagree with me.

And now I want to pull up that 70s The China Syndrome movie . Thanks a lot!

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: angus1745

Scary days.

Or it's just an Earthquake prone zone having an earthquake.
Not as flashy as a conspiracy but then again life has a way of turning out like that.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Not related to (or anywhere near for that matter) Fukushima.

Japan is one of the most earthquake prone areas in the world and something like this is not uncommon at all.

The thing that is worrying (and this was discussed in the QW thread) is that the aftershock sequence is not following the usual pattern. This could indicate that these are foreshocks of a larger quake that is yet to occur.

Here is a map of all nuclear power plants in Japan:

And here is a map of the location of the earthquake:

As you can see, there are three power plants nearby and one more that is being planned (not sure of the date of the NPP map, this plant could have been constructed by mow if it is an old map) and hopefully there won't be much more shaking in the area.
edit on 14-4-2016 by jadedANDcynical because: added more commentary and maps

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

its a strike slip fault zone, not a subduction zone according to the link I brought.

Well that's very interesting, because that is where earth lights are most expected according to some scientists who are doing the research on Earth lights, and it was another anecdotal thread here already and from that OP, who says he/she saw lights before this 'quake last night and was curious about them??

www.abovetopsecret.com...

More reading,

"The team found 65 cases that were well documented from North and South America and Europe. Of those cases, 97 percent seemed to happen at faults within continental plates, rather than at subduction zones, or the boundaries where one plate is diving below another. That's despite the fact that most big earthquakes happen at subduction boundaries.

Instead, about 85 percent of the time, lights seemed to happen at places where the tops of the continental plates buckle, creating fissures, or rifts, where the Earth pulls apart.

"You have two sides of a piece of continent are pulling apart and in the middle there's a part that just falls vertically down," often by miles over millions of years, Freund told LiveScience.

These rifts form steep, nearly vertical faults that stretch deep into the Earth's magma, allowing primitive magmatic rocks that were once deep below ground to migrate closer to the Earth's surface"

www.livescience.com...

edit on 14-4-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
S&F for the post. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
4 big quakes in 48hrs. Food for thought.
Waiting on TA's input. Always interested in his takes on these matters. (Surprised he didn't post 1st).
Cheers.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
According to CNN, the death toll stands at 9. There are over 800 injured. 44,000 have evacuated. The search for those buried in rubble continues. I counted at least 20 aftershocks, all at 4.5+, they are expected to continue.

cnn

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: angus1745

You're daffy mate. I fear you do not understand what is happening when fuel overheats and melts. Even more so as it happens underground.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join