It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A stupid question for flat earthers.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I find it really strange that this thread has the sole intention of bashing a conspiracy theory.

As I said in another thread, there's topics on this site about werewolves, ghosts, God and royals who are shape shifting reptilians. All utter crap but they have their own forums just because someone reckons they've seen them.

This place is full of high and mighty knobheads who think they're the gatekeepers of this site and cherry pick their topics.

If you don't believe in the flat earth theory, fine, just stop thinking that everyone wants or even needs you opinion on the matter.

Strange things happen daily on this planet, including flat earth theories that to some are nonsense but to others it rings true.

I personally haven't heard any valid explanations on the supposed curvature of the earth as in not being able to see past a certain point (the maths is meant to be correct isn't it. But we can see much much further than we should do. And the explanation is the phenomenon of light refraction or mirages.

We shouldn't see anything on the horizon after 50 miles but we can. There' needs a better "well you're denying or being obtuse about it" reasoning imo

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: thesneakiod

I personally haven't heard any valid explanations on the supposed curvature of the earth

yes you have - so stop lying

your inabilities to understand and accept the correct explaination is your problem not ours

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: MidKnight

Why the cover up? I mean what possible reason would they want to hide this from us?

its Satan trying to deceive all of us!!

Get with it man!!

Though seriously... CGI is just a recent thing...

Flat earth theory is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of...

Says the person who believes and posts about God.

Whatever pal...

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

No, your explanation is light mirages. Never seen a perfectly formed mirage in my life.

Any proving experiments on light refraction on a huge scale like a city?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

oh FFS - stop lying - my explaination is NOT " mirages " - my explaination to demonstrate the curvature of the earth = POLARIS

check out my actual thread and post history - not your fantasies

i am however still awaiting a coherent rebuttal of polaris from a flat earth proponent

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Haha the anger. It just reiterates my point really.
Gettin all het up because another person thinks differently from you.

I didn't need to be told, again from you that the earth is round, I already know that.

I asked about things like cities that shouldn't be visable from a certain distance. I believe (que the rage from you) that the maths to determine the size and circumference of the earth is wrong.

Still, any experiments on light retraction on a large scale that applies to the "phenomenon"?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesneakiod
If you don't believe in the flat earth theory, fine, just stop thinking that everyone wants or even needs you opinion on the matter.

It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of denying reality. I already gave you a direct example in this thread and the others that proves flat earth impossible. Instead of addressing the point or offering a counterpoint you guys play the victim as if you aren't getting a fair shake. I'm giving all flat earthers a chance to explain the Southern sky problem. Unfortunately they have no explanation and it makes their model incorrect as a result. It would be nice if they could at least present a realistic model, but there is such overwhelming evidence of globe earth that you really have to just deny everything as fake to support it, even people looking through telescopes to see the space station fly by or see venus pass in front of the sun.

I personally haven't heard any valid explanations on the supposed curvature of the earth as in not being able to see past a certain point (the maths is meant to be correct isn't it. But we can see much much further than we should do. And the explanation is the phenomenon of light refraction or mirages.

In the other thread I posted a video that goes through the math step by step and even calculates refraction. Did you even look at my examples or the video I posted?

We shouldn't see anything on the horizon after 50 miles but we can. There' needs a better "well you're denying or being obtuse about it" reasoning imo

This is disproven in the same video I already posted with the math. Flat earthers use wrong math in their equations, only cite an experiment from the 1800s that doesn't account for light refraction and dismiss all real world data as fake. There is no arguing with people like that.

It's like I said in the other threads. If you support flat earth model, you must be able to explain the southern sky problem that I have outlined multiple times now including posting pictures with line of site directions from the continents. That's the nail in the coffin for flat earth, and it's not the only thing.
edit on 6 29 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

And like I said in ALL the other threads I don't believe we live on a flat earth.

I'm just amazed how angry and personal people get when this conspiracy gets brought up. It's not affecting your life in anyway possible so do why do you even care? Do you think ad hominem attacks are going to change a flat earthers adult mind?

It's not hurting anyone and most people know it's crazy but ultimately harmless.

I don't believe any of it. But, as a conspiracy lover it's a belter one that gives a lot of great "what ifs"

It's fantasy that's all....
edit on Wednesday20162016-06-29T13:33:52-05:00pm303320166 by thesneakiod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
And stop asking me about the southern sky problem, cos I haven't a clue...

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I can tell you honestly that flat earth theory does not bother me or upset me, because it's laughably absurd. People need to realize this. That isn't ad hominem, because I can directly disprove it with a single point.

Your argument is about whether the topic belongs in this section. I say it does, because of the example I gave above with the south sky that cannot be argued against or rectified on the flat earth model.

And yes, it does hurt people, because these flat earthers teach these blatant lies to their kids, and trick religious people into believing it. Flat earth is already debunked. It's a troll movement, not a realistic topic and it's not even arguable. That's why it belongs here.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I don't think it's harmful, and forcing it onto their children is no different than taking them to church every Sunday. Then, as their children get older they can use their own reasoning and make their own decisions.

But I don't think it should be in the lies section if flat earthers actually believe it to be true?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Brainwashing kids at young impressionable ages is bad. I don't care if it's religion or bunk theories like this one.

Also, just because people believe something, doesn't make it true. I don't care if people believe lies. They are still lies. It's not like religion where you can't really prove it right or wrong and folks rely on faith. You can easily prove flat earth wrong without much effort at all.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Agreed.

Do you smash the religion threads like you do flat earth threads?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

That wasn't a sarcastic question, just askin

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Stupid people often ask stupid questions...

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesneakiod

Agreed.

Do you smash the religion threads like you do flat earth threads?

Actually the flat earth thing is pretty new to me, I didn't realize it was having such a big resurgence on here as well as youtube until recently. I usually stick to the origins and creationism section, focusing on evolution or young earth creationism.

I really just do not like blind science denial. I love having conversations and "debates" about science and related possibilities, but when folks just cover their eyes and pretend that certain evidence doesn't exist to maintain their viewpoint, the debate disappears.

I'm not religious by a long shot, but I'm agnostic. I do firmly believe that there is nothing wrong with having faith in whichever god or world view that you want. Religious equality is something I stand up for. All religions should be treated equally and allowed to practice as they choose, as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others, lobby for laws being passed in their favor, cause harm and/or suffering to others, or claim their worldview is absolute truth.

I strongly believe all children should get to choose for themselves instead of having a religion shoved down their throat before they even understand their ABCs and basic math. The reason I think it's harmful is because if your parents tell you that school is full of lies and that science class is a trick of satan, the child will likely not care one iota for their education and as a result end up growing up very ignorant of the real world making them susceptible to believing almost anything that goes against the norm, like flat earth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join