It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape Culture

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
a reply to: ketsuko

Your math is flawed because you don't have the true numbers.

But I thought you gave me the true numbers?

The stats will work off of any base population I care to work with if they are true stats. You gave me a percentage and a ratio of the same population. If they are true, then I should be able to use any base number for my theoretical population and they will add up. Short answer is that you cannot have a 1 in 5 ratio who report a thing and say that 90% of the same group do not and have it add up.

1 in 5 of 100 is 20 individuals.

In order for it to work out, your 20 individuals must be the 10% of the population who is raped who report.

10/100=20/x where x is the population where 20 is 10% of total population who is raped.

20 * 100 = 10x
2,000 = 10x
200 = x where x is your total population of women who have been raped with 180 not having reported it.

This is larger than the 100 women we started with. Your statistics do not work. It won't matter what number I plug in as the population of women who are raped.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Rape is something no one, even myself, can ever make light of.

But this new culture of extreme feminists make it challenging.

Every woman has not been raped.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

The math is explained for you.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Rape is something no one, even myself, can ever make light of.

But this new culture of extreme feminists make it challenging.

Every woman has not been raped.

Not really, they are trying to bring about an awareness for this topic...which researchers are describing as an epidemic.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
a reply to: rockintitz

There are waaaaayyyy more men who rape and get away with it than there are men falsely convicted.

And justice system aside, there is a huge problem with blaming the victim and not near enough shaming of the perpetrators.

Can you admit that rapists should be publicly condemned and victims of rape should be publicly supported? Or are you afraid that would make you a man hating feminist? I think the point of the 'Rape Culture' movement is that silence and complacency is what allows the crime to continue on the levels that it does. I think that if raising awareness somehow prevents ONE rape, then it's all worth it.

But I'm guessing you've never been raped, so it's no big deal to you either way.

Where is your source for such a bold statement?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I'm going out on a limb and will state that rapes today are far less than they were 50 years ago.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: pompel9

Real life experience, is my first guess.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I'm going out on a limb and will state that rapes today are far less than they were 50 years ago.

I don't know, back then women were certainly objectified to a large extent, but now what with internet being a boys' first introduction to unnatural sexual objectification of women...who knows?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

This woman has a good grasp of what rape culture really is, so read and learn.

everydayfeminism.com...

I tried, but the logical flaws are too apparent and numerous to consider such a mess to be a "learning" tool. The multiple dead source-links don't help her cause either.

Too numerous to list them all, but here are just a few choice examples.

Source
More often than not, it’s situations in which sexual assault, rape, and general violence are ignored, trivialized, normalized, or made into jokes.

And this happens a lot.

All the time.

Every day.

...By gender-feminists.

Especially when it comes to "trivialized", and "made into jokes".

The irony is that gender-feminism is a direct cause of rape being made into "jokes". People hear phrases like "eye rape" to earnestly describe a glance, or hear of notions like "birth rape" when a doctor does his/her job without "appropriate measures being taken to acknowledge the mother's ownership of her body" (what on earth constitutes "appropriate measures" in regards to "acknowledging ownership" while giving birth?), and they think, "this can't possibly be serious, it has to be a joke". Rape is serious, and these notions are an absurd trivialization to so flippantly use the term.

Incessantly plastering the word rape behind virtually anything and everything diminishes the impact of the term, and makes a mockery of it.

Source
6. Supporting athletes who are charged with rape and calling their victims career-destroyers

Kobe Bryant instantly lost sponsors when allegations of rape surfaced, and the Duke lacrosse team would certainly disagree with notions of "supporting athletes who are charged". The fact of the matter is that rape is so despised that even an allegation is usually enough to convict someone in the "court of public opinion" and in the media.

Source
11. Calling college students who have the courage to report their rapes liars.

From the article sourced for this claim "Most of the feedback the victim has received has been positive and encouraging: Many people she knew -- and many she did not -- have shared their stories and thanked her. Among them was Amherst President Carolyn "Biddy" Martin.".

That is the norm, and what defines our culture. The majority of feedback she received was positive.

Source
25. The fact that we have to condition ourselves not to use violent language in our everyday conversations.

This final one I've listed might just take the irony cake. The sourced article's title is "How Sexually Violent Language Perpetuates Rape Culture and What You Can Do About It", arguing that sexually violent language "perpetuates Rape Culture, and needs to be curbed".

It's the ultimate self-fulfilling prophecy. In essence, the actual notion and discussion of "Rape" culture perpetuates "Rape Culture". Sexually violent language such as using phrases like "Eye Rape", "Birth Rape", "_____ Rape", etc. perpetuate Rape Culture....

edit on 4/14/16 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I don't know, back then women were certainly objectified to a large extent, but now what with internet being a boys' first introduction to unnatural sexual objectification of women...who knows?

You would argue that rape is more prevalent now?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: redmage

When I read the part about trivializing it, I thought of you.
edit on 14-4-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I feel like I have shouted enough for one day. I think a lot of the women steam rolled over what I had to say as a woman. Or acknowledged it just enough to work it in to their theory. I feel perfectly comfortable walking out in public. I was raped by an individual outside of my family but someone I knew. I see a bunch of women post here basically saying if you haven't been a victim you don't know or only the women here can know (I am paraphrasing). You know I have said it now several times I do know the victim status of rape but do not put me in a group that agrees with the concept of rape culture.

The average male isn't joking about rape, making rape seem like nothing, nor do they deny the existence of rape. The average male finds the concept of rape disgusting to its core. The average male has shown me more sympathy in care (when I choose to divulge the info) than the average female in the same situation. I have been victim blamed by the feminist movement.

My story and my opinion glossed over by the women who have posted. I don't think it is understood how much it took for me to share the story with how many people via this website? I am a strong person now but even strong people have a weak spot. This is one of mine.

Thanks to those who took the time to read my posts. This thread has become to much for me though so I am bowing out.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

You would argue that rape is more prevalent now?

There are so many more factors playing a part, such as multi-culturalism bringing with it rape culture from other countries, internet and video violence and sexual objectification (rape desensitization?) of women, women's sexual freedom working against them as an excuse to rape...can you argue against it being an epidemic as researchers claim?
edit on 14-4-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

When holding the door open for a woman is now seen as "micro-aggression" towards women, then I think that focusing on rape is clouded by these idiotic new cultural definitions.

It's like as another poster stated, when "brown bag" lunches are deemed as racist, then dealing with actual cases of racism get lost in the shuffle.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: YachiruKusajishi

I didn't see any glossing over, just a difference of opinion as to whether rape culture exists.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

When holding the door open for a woman is now seen as "micro-aggression" towards women, then I think that focusing on rape is clouded by these idiotic new cultural definitions.

It's like as another poster stated, when "brown bag" lunches are deemed as racist, then dealing with actual cases of racism get lost in the shuffle.

As I have said before here, don't focus on extremism, focus on the truth.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I didn't see any glossing over, just a difference of opinion as to whether rape culture exists.

Again, make no mistake. Rape Culture is a VERY real thing, and THIS is what the reality of a "Rape Culture" really looks like.

I can't believe that any American could look that woman in the eyes, and honestly claim that it's us American's who live in a "Rape Culture".
edit on 4/14/16 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: redmage

It is by definition, and we women and men are stepping forward to define and explain it.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join