It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape Culture

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I'll say it again, for the really hard of thinking.

How a woman dresses has no bearing on her responsibility for getting raped.
Women in jeans suffer it, little old ladies in their 70s and 80s suffer it. even some men suffer it. The problem is in the head of the rapist, not in the wardrobe of the victim.

id suggest that if anyone on this forum truly cant see that, then they may have the start of some dysfunctional sexuality themselves and could possibly do with getting some counselling.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   
double post
edit on 47pThu, 14 Apr 2016 06:18:47 -050020162016-04-14T06:18:47-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: duplication

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Your indisputable fact seems to be quite a bit indispute.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

I don't see anyone here arguing the contrary.

That said, acknowledging that an individual is responsible for the image they project is not the same as blaming a victim for being raped. There's a difference there that it appears you may be failing to see.

As far as the whole "clothing debate" goes, I think Dave Chappelle pretty much nailed it.

Warning: language

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I see a bunch of guys saying there is no such thing as rape culture.

And every single woman I know says there is.

The gulf between these two views tells me everything I need to know about how a bunch of guys really don't have the right to tell many many women that they are wrong about how they experience the world.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

Really? Every single woman you know? Maybe there is a rape culture in Scotland that I'm unaware of. Something akin to Middle Eastern countries. I only have first hand experience with the U.S. where it simply doesn't exist.

Again, It would need to be considered culturally acceptable to qualify as a "Rape Culture", and that's just not the case here. Here in the U.S., about the only thing that's considered worse than a rapist is a child molester (and they're largely considered to be the lowest life form on earth here).

Rape is not the least bit "culturally accepted" in the U.S.. It is a horrendous crime, and rightly recognized as such.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

I don't see anyone here arguing the contrary.

That said, acknowledging that an individual is responsible for the image they project is not the same as blaming a victim for being raped. There's a difference there that it appears you may be failing to see.

You seem to be arguing exactly that.
A victim is responsible for the image they project means what exactly?

Sexually available? Is that where you are going? Tell me how some bloke in jeans and a hoody getting raped in a park is giving off that vibe...Or an old lady laying flowers in a cemetary... Because if you cant , then neither can you equate what a young, female victim goes through with the bs argument that she should have done something different and because she didn't is in some way partly responsible.

Its as ridiculous as it is offensive.
I am not some arch feminist, I'm not even a woman, I'm just an average bloke who finds this whole rape apologia rubbish really disgusting.
edit on 49pThu, 14 Apr 2016 06:28:49 -050020162016-04-14T06:28:49-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: spelling

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

The gulf between these two views tells me everything I need to know about how a bunch of guys really don't have the right to tell many many women that they are wrong about how they experience the world.

Some guys, and a couple of us wee lasses over across the pond here, actually, and we're more or less pointing out the victim mentality and lack of actual acceptance of rapes culturally.

I know that stuff grinds certain types' gears, but I'm honestly tired of the crying over nothing. It makes women everywhere look bad all around, bolstering the stereotypes of perpetually helpless, hyperventilating little things.
edit on 4/14/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

No, I don't. That's why I said " There's a difference there that it appears you may be failing to see.".

I don't know. You tell me. Those are your words, not mine.

I said "an individual is responsible for the image they project". Why are you twisting the "individual" into a "victim"? Not everyone who wears a hoodie and jeans is a rape victim. Likewise, not everyone who goes out scantily clad is a victim of rape either.

Again, acknowledging that an individual is responsible for the image they project is not the same as blaming a victim for being raped.

There are two separate issues here that you appear to be blurring in an attempt to form some sort of weak straw-man argument.
edit on 4/14/16 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

No, I don't. That's why I said " There's a difference there that it appears you may be failing to see.".

I don't know. You tell me. Those are your words, not mine.

I said "an individual is responsible for the image they project". Why are you twisting the "individual" into a "victim"?

Again, acknowledging that an individual is responsible for the image they project is not the same as blaming a victim for being raped.

There are two separate issues here that you appear to be blurring in an attempt to form some sort of weak straw-man argument.

Since this thread is about rape, it is pretty obvious that there are going to be two parties here, both individuals. One being the rapist the other the victim.
Since I sincerely doubt you were talking about the rapists image it therefore follows you must have been talking about the victim, doesn't it? So my use of the word is justified.

All this dancing around with semantics makes me think you know you have it wrong but are too small to admit it.

Why don't you try and expand upon exactly what you mean about an individual being responsible for their image in the case of rape, just so we all know exactly where you are coming from and we can all dissect this argument more accurately?
edit on 33pThu, 14 Apr 2016 06:58:33 -050020162016-04-14T06:58:33-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Just to add some more information to this thread I'm going to tell you all something that no body in my real life knows about me. I was raped. Twice. I am a man.

When I was 18 and a virgin a 23 year old girl that liked me and was part of a group of friends that I had would often try and get in my pants. I told her no many times. After a while my guy "friends" started making fun of me because I wouldn't do it, telling me not to be scared , as if that was the only reason I didn't want to do it.

A few months later I had a party at my apartment . She came over with some other girls I had never met. At the end of the night everyone had gone home except her and those girls. It started off lite enough with the girls and telling me how hot I was and asking why I didn't want to have sex with their friend. Are you gay they asked. Are you scared? It will be ok just do it. I promise you will like it. In the end I was pushed into my bedroom. I still said no but the girl just smiled said it will be ok and forced me down on the bed and took off my pants. At that point I just closed my eyes and waited for it to be over.

The second time was a friend of a girl I liked. This time I was at a party at her place (the girl I liked) but her friend wanted to have sex with me. I said no. Later she gave me a pill that she said was ecstasy. It was not ecstasy. Whatever it was It made me pass out and that's when she had her way with me.

This girl was a heron addict (she died of and overdose 3 months later) so I went to get checked for std's right away. Waiting for those results was some of the most terrifying time of my life. This # happens to men too. I have had problems with intimacy my entire life because of this.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
All right folks I have my two cents to share with you. Sit back, read on, and realize I am sharing this because 1.) its pertinent to my opinion 2.) it needs to be said even though I personally don't like too.

About 10 years ago I was raped. I tried to stop it. I fought, I lost. Not only did this man do what he wanted others watched and laughed. I wasn't drunk, I wasn't dressed slutty (unless you think jeans, tshirt, and sneakers is slutty). I had a difficult time for years afterwards being around men lets not even talk about being alone with them. I knew in my head it wasn't a reasonable fear since my father and uncles would never hurt me in that way. I didn't report it because it was my word against a group. I was afraid. I got over it eventually with a great deal of work and talking things out with my BFF (in retrospect I should have seen a counselor or something regarding it but I didn't).

I told you that so you can understand I have been a victim. I didn't ask for it (although I have heard that crock of # before. I still ALWAYS use common freaking sense to try and avoid being a victim again. Here is my opinion on rape culture especially here in the US. Are you ready?

It doesn't exist! Most American women will not go through this. A man has not raped me by looking at me (seriously go on tumblr you will see this thought there), a man saying I look nice today isn't raping me, birth rape is horse hockey. Men can be raped by men and women! It happens. It's freaking wrong and the one committing the crime should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. However all this garbage like eye rape and these false claims make it more difficult for real victims to get help and be taken seriously.

These same feminists or "feminazis" would say they want men killed (see tumblr) or male population reduced to 10% because they are all potential rapists. Oh screw off. Most men would never rape a woman. I say this to feminazis come to my house to try and harm my husband or boys and you will be greeted by me with a 9mm.

I was a victim. I am not now and will never be again. These woman saying this bull shyte don't have a clue. They want to be victims because it fits their agenda. Modern feminism is not about equality it's about domination.

What do I know though.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
This has been on my mind a lot lately. I keep hearing the phrase "rape culture", keep seeing viral movements involving the phrase- and I hate it. Makes my skin crawl. I think it's so over used, numbing us to what the word "rape" means. When I was a young girl, it was a horrific thing- when I heard someone was raped. Now I hear the word so flippantly thrown around, it doesn't hold the same weight. I agree that the west doesn't understand what a real "rape culture" is like.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Since this thread is about rape

You seem to be slightly off base here. The thread isn't "about rape". It's about the hypothesis of whether or not a supposed "rape culture" exists.

it is pretty obvious that there are going to be two parties here, both individuals. One being the rapist the other the victim. Since I sincerely doubt you were talking about the rapists image it therefore follows you must have been talking about the victim, doesn't it?

No, this is a false dilemma logical fallacy. We're discussing the notion of a hypothesized "rape culture".

A culture has MANY individuals. I'm not sure where you grew up, but here the majority of individuals are not rapists, or rape victims. In short... there's more than just "two parties".

So my use of the word is justified.

No, it's not justified to falsely attribute your words upon another.

Your choice to twist my statement does bring up an interesting point though.

I agree with Nyiah regarding prevalent notions of "victim mentality" to the point of even going further, and I think that there is a "Victim Culture" here in the U.S.

I'm curious, when you twisted my words, did you subconsciously believe that I truly said "victim" instead of "individual", or was that an intentional twisting of my words simply to distort the debate?

Some part of me thinks you may have actually believed I said "victim" due to the conditioning of our Victim Culture.

All this dancing around with semantics makes me think you know you have it wrong but are too small to admit it.

You may be selling it, but I'm not buying it. Calling out that you falsely attributed your own thoughts upon me is not "arguing semantics". It's pointing out a Straw man logical fallacy. A failure in logic is different than mere "semantics".

Why don't you try and expand upon exactly what you mean about an individual being responsible for their image in the case of rape

Again, you tell me. those are your words not mine. I never said "an individual is responsible for their image in the case of rape", so for you to ask "what I mean" by it is highly disingenuous.

But to humor you, frankly, an individual is responsible for their own image in all situations they're a party to, and it's silly to limit the notion of that to only, or just, "in the case of rape".

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
I keep hearing the phrase "rape culture", keep seeing viral movements involving the phrase- and I hate it. Makes my skin crawl. I think it's so over used, numbing us to what the word "rape" means. When I was a young girl, it was a horrific thing- when I heard someone was raped. Now I hear the word so flippantly thrown around, it doesn't hold the same weight. I agree that the west doesn't understand what a real "rape culture" is like.

I couldn't possibly agree more.

Personally I think our "Victim Culture" has had a large part in making hyperbole the norm, and a horrendous crime like rape has no business being thrown around so flippantly (as YachiruKusajishi pointed out with modern notions of "eye rape", "birth rape", etc.).

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I think these go in here:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

After reading your latest post I never want you within ten miles of Any woman I care about.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

a reply to: redmage

After reading your latest post I never want you within ten miles of Any woman I care about.

Really? What part of this did you take issue with?

"I couldn't possibly agree more.

Personally I think our "Victim Culture" has had a large part in making hyperbole the norm, and a horrendous crime like rape has no business being thrown around so flippantly (as YachiruKusajishi pointed out with modern notions of "eye rape", "birth rape", etc.)."

Do you not agree that rape is a horrendous crime, or do you somehow think the term "rape" should be thrown around more flippantly than it already is?

Edit: Nevermind, I see you have a different definition for "latest post" than I do, and appear to have some difficulty rationally discussing the matter at hand since you've reduced your stance to ad hominem attacks. If you can't objectively discuss an admittedly emotionally charged matter, then I absolutely respect your decision to discontinue the discussion (even if your chosen method is lacking in tact).

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: FatherStacks

Nailed it.
I hate how these modern feminists are soo selfish. In the west, they have rights that women in other countries can only dream of.
Instead of manufacturing fake stats, from small sample sizes in the most hostile situation(college) for women and using them to create a failing argument that women have it so bad...
Why don't they use their influence,
and they have a lot by the way. Just look at new standards of sexual related crime at colleges.. seriously.. look, it's crazy.
Politicians spewing out their false stats left and right, ect.
Why don't they use their influence, to try and help women in other countries/cultures that ACTUALLY need help.
I know why..

It's because they are selfish and ugly inside.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
And the "funny" (Typical modern day idiocracy madness) thing is, most "feminists" are also pro-muslims (Really, when was the last time feminists spoke against the real threats to them?) and we all know which culture hates (And rapes) women the most.
www.barritrad.com... protect-us-get-raped-immigrants/

redalertpolitics.com... minist-welcomes-refugees-better-rapists-racists/

www.breitbart.com... 2016/01/07/feminists-blame-german-born-men-for-mass-sex-attacks-apease-migrants/

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join