It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape Culture

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
a reply to: redmage

Herein lies another problem, generalizations on feminism, blanket statements, not focussing on the underlying problems or issues and skirting the real issues or truths that psychologists and researchers have already figured out. Don't blame the messenger.

You seem confused. I specifically refer to modern-feminism (not 1st, or 2nd wave). I'm not generalizing all feminists.

As "for not focusing on the underlying problems or issues", I was focusing on your hypothesis of an underlying issue, "bullying from being bullied".

Do you not recall your own words?

What then is the underlying cause of that need? A result of violence begats violence via bullying from being bullied?

Yet once a man tries to discuss it with you, the goalpost shifts and your own hypothesis no longer qualifies as a possible "underlying cause"?
edit on 4/16/16 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

Herein lies another problem, generalizations on feminism, blanket statements, not focussing on the underlying problems or issues and skirting the real issues or truths that psychologists and researchers have already figured out. Don't blame the messenger.

You seem confused. I specifically refer to modern-feminism (not 1st, or 2nd wave). I'm not generalizing all feminists.

As "for not focusing on the underlying problems or issues", I was focusing on your hypothesis of an underlying issue, "bullying from being bullied".

What is modern feminism? You don't define it.

You repeated my words, with practically no input...thoughts on the bullying issue or other underlying causes.

This research believes rape is a learned behaviour; therefore, rape culture.

www.d.umn.edu...

For those genuinely interested in discussing the underlying issues, I recommend reading the paper in the link above.
edit on 16-4-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   

What is modern feminism? You don't define it.

Modern-Feminism

thoughts on the bullying issue or other underlying causes.

Seriously? You directly respond to posts without even reading them?

a reply to: InTheLight

You might be onto something with "bullying from being bullied". Perhaps the extreme power shift has sparked something in sociopaths.

Currently the power rests securely in the hands of women.

As mothers of young sons in this thread have repeatedly pointed out their worries for their sons. If a man opens a door for a woman then it's assumed he's sexist and somehow thinks a woman isn't capable of opening a door herself. If a man doesn't open a door for a woman then it's assumed he's a chauvinist pig, and the list goes on and on.

Men are constantly walking on eggshells because, according to the modern-feminist movement, they can do no right, and the modern-feminist movement largely controls the public narrative.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

As I said in my last post you did not provide any real input nor a definition. Still no input.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

I've contributed enough on all these topics, and I see you in every thread, and I wonder sometimes what brought you here, and why you fight the fight that you do? I think it's a reasonable question, anyway I'm sorry that someone said or did you wrong in such a way that it hurt you deeply, or that some man told you that you weren't good enough. They were wrong, because you are, good enough .. I just want you to know that, I have nothing else to add to this topic.

Fair enough, but as I stated previously, I am trying to understand the ills of society and hope to have meaningful discussions with people of like mind. In this particular discussion, the underlying causes of legitimizing rape (rape culture?) are what interests me, not bashing feminists.

Finally, we must comment on the consequences of allowing one perspective to dominate thought on a social problem. Rape, like any complex continuum of behavior, has multiple causes and is influenced by a number of social factors. Yet, dominated by psychiatry and the medical model, the underlying assumption that rapists are "sick" has pervaded research. Although methodologically unsound, conclusions have been based almost exclusively on small clinical populations of rapists-that extreme group of rapists who seek counseling in prison and are the most likely to exhibit psychopathology. From this small, atypical group of men, psychiatric findings have been generalized to all men who rape. Our research, however, based on volunteers from the entire prison population, indicates that some rapists, like deniers, viewed and understood their behavior from a popular cultural perspective. This strongly suggests that cultural perspectives, and not an idiosyncratic illness, motivated their behavior. Indeed, we can argue that the psychiatric perspective has contributed to the vocabulary of motive that rapists use to excuse and justify their behavior (Scully and Marolla, 1984). Efforts to arrive at a general explanation for rape have been retarded by the narrow focus of the medical model and the preoccupation with clinical populations. 'Me continued reduction of such complex behavior to a singular cause hinders, rather than enhances, our understanding of rape.

www.d.umn.edu...

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   

As I said in my last post you did not provide any real input nor a definition. Still no input.

You're so fond of posting links. The definition was provided. Is this where I say "read and learn"?

As for input. 25 out of your 36 post in this thread are merely one-liners (6 of which don't even break the 5 words mark). You're better than that. Show it.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Actually, to get back on topic, you really should read my link above, and learn something.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   

I am trying to understand the ills of society and hope to have meaningful discussions with people of like mind.

And there's the key. You only engage with "people of like mind".

Someday you'll figure out that, often, the most meaningful discussions occur with people who challenge your opinions and beliefs. These are the discussions that actually cause one to think, and to consider new thoughts and ideas.

Limiting yourself to only those who support and reinforce your beliefs and preconceived notions is a disservice to yourself.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I am trying to understand the ills of society and hope to have meaningful discussions with people of like mind.

And there's the key. You only engage with "people of like mind".

Someday you'll figure out that, often, the most meaningful discussions actually occur with people who challenge your opinions and beliefs. These are the discussions that actually cause one to think and consider new thoughts and ideas.

Limiting yourself to only those who support and reinforce your beliefs and preconceived notions is a disservice to yourself.

You are reading assumptions into my words...like minded people as in wanting meaningful discussions as I do. I see you have no intention of wanting to discuss the psychological and societal side of this issue.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

The whole rape culture thing is based on debunked stats like the "1 in 5 women will be raped on campus". Those statistics are completely made up by expanding the definition of what rape is. They also labeled women rape victims who outright said they were not rape victims. It's just like the wage gap stats, manipulated and fraudulent.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
a reply to: rockintitz

The whole rape culture thing is based on debunked stats like the "1 in 5 women will be raped on campus". Those statistics are completely made up by expanding the definition of what rape is. They also labeled women rape victims who outright said they were not rape victims. It's just like the wage gap stats, manipulated and fraudulent.

Please provide the debunking proof, so I can decide for myself.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

If not charged rapist gets " out of jail card " but raped is suffering lot of mental issues and even physical issues after rape. Victim of the rape can spend rest of her life in mental prison after that. What about campus rapes (for example in US and in UK ).. do they happen ? Is it cultural, what migh lead to those ? The issue is much deeper than you seem to see.

henrymakow.com...

Such measures also embed a de facto double standard in law and policies. Consider just one scenario. Two drunken people have sex; legally speaking, this means neither is able to consent. As it stands, a drunken woman is likely to be considered a rape victim and not responsible for her actions; a drunken man is likely to be considered a rapist who is responsible for the actions of both. This vicious double standard has no place in justice or in an honest dialogue. What about due process for men?

TOTALITARIAN LEGAL WEB

Affirmative consent is trying to find a foothold on campuses through means other than legislation as well.
In April 2011, the U.S. Department of Education's (DED) Office for Civil Rights demanded universities comply with new standards on sexual assault if they wish to receive federal funds. (Almost every institute of higher learning in America receives federal funds.) The DED also greatly reduced the due process of an accused, depriving him of legal protections such as the presence of council and the right to cross-examine an accuser.

Current DED sexual-assault policy includes no requirement that a "victim" get an examination, which means guilt can also be adjudicated with no medical or DNA evidence. Instead of using the legal standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt," the DED letter requires college hearings to use the standard known as "a preponderance of evidence"; that is, a 50.01% likelihood of guilt or innocence. This is the standard used by civil rather than criminal courts. Male students can be found guilty of rape by using the same standard of evidence employed by traffic courts when they adjudicate parking tickets.

Even on the brink of graduating, the accused can be expelled and refused the degree that he may need to obtain a license for the career for which he has trained. With a permanent stain on his record, other universities are not likely to admit him. Few employers are likely to hire him. Males should not be stripped of due-process rights, on campus or in courts. They must be presumed innocent until proven guilty; they must be allowed to face their accusers in the company of counsel. And the accusation of rape needs to be judged by a standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt." No one should have to relinquish their constitutional rights in order to get an education -

See more at: henrymakow.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

here you go statistics! Now will you be part of the solution and educate your fellow man hating women?

henrymakow.com...

Rape culture is a particularly vicious lie because it brands all men as rapists or rape facilitators. In January 2014, the White House Council on Women and Girls stated that, "1 in 5 women has been sexually assaulted while in college". They included every accusation as true.

Since then, the "1 in 5" statistic ...has been used as proof that we live in a rape culture. -

See more at: henrymakow.com...

The truth: the rate of rape has fallen sharply since 1979. In March 2013, the U.S. Department of Justice reported, "From 1995 to 2005, the total rate of sexual violence committed against U.S. female residents age 12 or older declined 64% from a peak of 5.0 per 1,000 females in 1995 to 1.8 per 1,000 females in 2005 . It then remained unchanged from 2005 to 2010. Sexual violence against females includes completed, attempted, or threatened rape or sexual assault. In 2010, females nationwide experienced about 270,000 rape or sexual assault victimizations compared to about 556,000 in 1995." The inflated numbers often cited by affirmative-consent advocates also arise because they ignore or downplay the problem of false or mistaken accusations. In her article "Memo to VP Biden: Male Rapists Are Not Lurking on Every Campus Corner," author Suzanne Venker points out that "three peer-reviewed studies have found the rate of false accusations of rape to range from 41% to 60%." - See more at: henrymakow.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Still, the CDC numbers are a reminder of how many sexual assaults and rapes go unreported. The total number of rapes reported to police in 2011 was 83,425—far lower than either the NCVS or CDC numbers. If the 2011 CDC estimate—almost two million people cases—all fit the legal definition of rape, that would mean only 4 percent were reported to the police. Even excluding alcohol- and drug-facilitated rapes, the 716,000 counts of completed or attempted penetration recorded by the CDC still add up to more than eight times the cases recorded by the FBI and almost three times as many as the Department of Justice. While finding an indisputable number of rape victims seems to be a Holy Grail, the CDC report certainly reveals that the most widely accepted estimates aren’t high enough.

newrepublic.com...

The stats get skewed in varying definitions of rape.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

T & C Violation

15i.) Language: The dominant language of our users and moderation staff is English. In order to promote a smooth-running environment and fair enforcement of the Terms and Conditions of Use (and the Terms and Conditions of Membership), you agree not to Post or chat in any language other than English.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

Respect for the other sex both for boys and girls is sadly now something that should be taught in school = regardless of culture or religion because we now have a multicultural world.

I agree & lets ban 90% of shows/programmes/magazines that teach youngsters that you can get a free ride in life by "husband/asset" rich pickings, or the other shows that focus on the sexualization of adults and/or children in the fashion industry or the selling of dietary aids or I could go on an on.

As a species we have become commodified to such an extent that we are mere demographics, a consumer, a product (eg youtube channels). This has the planned consequence that man has no respect for his neighbour or relative or trade partner. It further allows so called elected parliamentarians to wage war for resources at the behest of their corporate masters. We are cannon fodder.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
"Lotta rapin' goin on around the world...."

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

From the telegraph, not exactly a bastion of right on feminism.

Care to comment or argue with ONS, or do you just attack the messenger like a spoilt 2 year old

from the link

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) published research which also showed more than a third of interviewees insisted sex attack victims bore partial responsibility if they had been “flirting heavily” beforehand. Teenagers and the 55 to 59 age group were less likely to be sympathetic to sex attack victims who had been drinking or flirting than people in their 20s, 30s and 40s, the poll showed.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

After reading your latest post I never want you within ten miles of Any woman I care about.

Care to stick to the topic....er....does that mean that they are ok within 11 miles of the women you care?

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I don't hate men and neither do the other women posting on this thread, using that as an excuse to shut us down won't work, so, you will may have try to have a real discussion of the facts.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join