It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US warns Russia on selling missiles to Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
"The United States warned Russia against selling missiles to Syria amid reports that Moscow was ready to provide Damascus with a sophisticated weapon that could hit any target in Israel.

But Russia denied it had any such plans.

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Washington could consider sanctions against Moscow if it went through with reported plans to sell Syria its SS-26 Iskander missile.

Secretary of State Colin Powell also raised the reported sale in talks here Wednesday with Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov, according to a State Department official speaking on condition of anonymity.

"The US policy on this is very clear," Boucher said. "We're against the sale of weaponry to Syria, against the sale of lethal military equipment to Syria, which is a state sponsor of terrorism."

He said the United States was aware of reports a deal was brewing and "we think those kinds of sales are not appropriate. ... The Russians know about this policy. They know about our views."

The Russian media carried reports of the planned sale as Syrian President Bashar al-Assad prepared to visit Russia on January 24 for talks with President Vladimir Putin.

The press accounts said Israel was furious at the prospect of Syria obtaining the missile, an updated version of the Scud used by Iraq in the first Gulf War, that could strike almost anywhere in the Jewish state."

sg.news.yahoo.com...

These missiles could hit Israel or US forces in Iraq. We need to take Syria out, and soon.........

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
can you believe that things like this are still going on? it'll never stop and this world is never going to be a good place to be. there'll always be problems.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Syria should get those Missles so when Jews In Palestine (J.I.P.) AKA =Israel trys to attack for greater Isreal or tries to have U.S. attck for oil and greater Isreal like in Iraq Syria would have an weapon that will keep um at bay,

[edit on 13-1-2005 by SiberianTiger]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
so you actually believe that this world is going to come to peace together?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
First NATO must pay for Bombing Serbs in 95 and especialy 99 NATO just can'y go unpunished for these hiddeous crimeS and soon as I always say ON THE WEAOPNS/ AIRCRAFT PROJECT threads: Russia will be the PUNISHER in WW3 All this talk of coming together is by you Yanks who always think what NATO did in 95/99 was right, well NATO WILL PAY IN THIS LIFE TIME IT WILL COME UPON THE WEST WHEN THEY LEST EXPEXT IT FROM RUSSIA.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
so there's a WW3 with Russia, is there? well isn't that just great

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
you don't want it to happen just FORCE THESE PUPETS OF jEWS OUT OF OFFICE,and immediatly recompansate Serbia with $100Billion YOU DON'T DO EXACTLY AS I SAID NATO WILL PAY!!

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SiberianTiger
First NATO must pay for Bombing Serbs in 95 and especialy 99 NATO just can'y go unpunished for these hiddeous crimeS and soon as I always say ON THE WEAOPNS/ AIRCRAFT PROJECT threads: Russia will be the PUNISHER in WW3 All this talk of coming together is by you Yanks who always think what NATO did in 95/99 was right, well NATO WILL PAY IN THIS LIFE TIME IT WILL COME UPON THE WEST WHEN THEY LEST EXPEXT IT FROM RUSSIA.

I completely agree. The president that ordered the bombing in Serbia should go on thrial for war crimes. CLINTON. Serbia was only protecting itself against MUSLIM terrorist.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
more of that "international scanadal" from a russian news pages,

english.pravda.ru
iraq-war.ru

[edit on 13-1-2005 by Souljah]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
This is none of America's business and they should butt out. It is Russia's sovereign right to sell weapons to Syria, as it would be for the European Union to sell weapons to China.

The Bush Administration raves on about freedom yet they blackmale another nation into not doing what it wishes, it's madness!

thanks,

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
This is none of America's business and they should butt out. It is Russia's sovereign right to sell weapons to Syria, as it would be for the European Union to sell weapons to China.

The Bush Administration raves on about freedom yet they blackmale another nation into not doing what it wishes, it's madness!

thanks,

It would be OK with you if Syria has missiles that can attack Israel?
It's OK for a terror state to have missles to attack oh say Australia?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I fully agree that Syria should obtain those missiles to defend itself against Isreal. Isreal needs to be put in check or just destroyed which honestly I think would be better for the world.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Killak420
I fully agree that Syria should obtain those missiles to defend itself against Isreal. Isreal needs to be put in check or just destroyed which honestly I think would be better for the world.

You truly are what your avatar shows............Tell your father hello for Michael. The two witnesses are coming soon.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

thanks,

It would be OK with you if Syria has missiles that can attack Israel?
It's OK for a terror state to have missles to attack oh say Australia?

Yeah and American would NEVER sell weapons to a country that threatened Australia or anyone else
I can remember the US selling Indonesia weapons while they were a dictatorship under general Suharto, who was annexing countries just off our coastline.

"The United States government has aided and abetted the Suharto regime's illegal annexation of East Timor from the moment of Indonesia's 1975 invasion up through the present. Beyond turning a blind eye to Indonesian repression in East Timor, the most tangible expression of U.S. support for the Suharto regime has been a massive, steady supply of U.S. armaments to the Indonesian military."

www.worldpolicy.org...

[edit on 13-1-2005 by Trent]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Look around and you will find a pretty heated battle going on between communist rebels and the dictator in those days. Now the counrty is over run with Islamo-terrorist. But that was 1975 and the weapons were small arms...........not hyper-accurate missiles.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
if that state is a sovereign power, it is still Russia's right to sell them weapons regardless, though I don't see a 'terrorist state' anywhere near australia

Anyways, why should Russia have to bend to US pressure on selling missiles to a country like Syria? the issue of Israel in the world is pretty damn divided you'll see and not everyone agrees with the United States policies on Israel.

Need I remind you Israel launched an attack against Syria last year? who's really the terrorist state?

thanks,

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

if that state is a sovereign power, it is still Russia's right to sell them weapons regardless, though I don't see a 'terrorist state' anywhere near australia

Anyways, why should Russia have to bend to US pressure on selling missiles to a country like Syria? the issue of Israel in the world is pretty damn divided you'll see and not everyone agrees with the United States policies on Israel.

Need I remind you Israel launched an attack against Syria last year? who's really the terrorist state?

thanks,

Israel can do no wrong. A pre-emptive strike against any Muslim state is OK by me. Israel and America are fight for their respective "lives".

Indonesia by the way is a terrorist state. Iran has missiles that can hit Aussies.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Umm... so it's ok for Australians to be dying from American weapons that it supplied Indonesia and continued to supply throught the conflict and for many years after at the same time they are dying in Vietnam as allies of America?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Indonesia by the way is a terrorist state. Iran has missiles that can hit Aussies.

Indonesia is not a terrorist state, in fact they have strong relations with us... dispite Downer's unfortunate comments and a democratic government that is very much against extremists. They have made a lot of progress since the days they were an agressive dictatorship.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by Trent]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trent
Umm... so it's ok for Australians to be dying from American weapons that it supplied Indonesia and continued to supply throught the conflict and for many years after at the same time they are dying in Vietnam as allies of America?

NO, of course not. If you will check the data small arms sales are down world wide. go to globalsecurity.com or FAS website. This FACT happens to coincide with Bush's WAR on TERROR.

Every been to Pretty?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join