It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian jets speed past US Navy destroyer in 'simulated attack profile

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
I'm not sure what the fuss is about, frankly.

This sort of thing was fairly common place, relatively speaking, back in the day.

I have by enlarge reached the same conclusion. I do have my concerns about Putin's expansionist policies that are eyeing the Plains of Poland and Germany. In this case what happened was akin to what the RNZAF Skyhawks use to do in training exercises with the RAN and other navies. The RNZAF no longer has the air strike capability anymore , but like the coming European War it is a discussion for another day.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

Both Russia and the US signed an agreement in 1973 that regulated events like this, and was supposed to keep things like this from happening. It worked really well until a few years ago when it was apparently thrown out the window and Russian pilots started pushing more and more.

Now we have simulated attack runs on ships and barrel rolls over RC-135s. The fly by of the Cook wasn't a huge deal, other than the simulated attack runs. The crap their pulling with the RCs is almost criminal and could easily result in many people dead.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: xpert11

Both Russia and the US signed an agreement in 1973 that regulated events like this, and was supposed to keep things like this from happening. It worked really well until a few years ago when it was apparently thrown out the window and Russian pilots started pushing more and more.

A very sensible agreement in light of Cold War tensions. In all likely hood these kinds of incidents will occur often enough that they no longer become news worthy.

Now we have simulated attack runs on ships and barrel rolls over RC-135s. The fly by of the Cook wasn't a huge deal, other than the simulated attack runs. The crap their pulling with the RCs is almost criminal and could easily result in many people dead.

I wouldn't be surprised if a RC-135 was brought down in such a manner. International tensions are on the rise with the reemergence of Russia and China's naval build up well underway. The importance of training lower to middle ranking military leaders really comes to forefront at times like this. Just my 10 cents.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast

There was an agreement between the US and Russia during the administration of Bush I that the US and NATO would not expand eastward, but the US and NATO did not honor their word.

I guess what goes around comes around, eh?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Salander

The U.S. and NATO never signed an agreement prohibiting eastward expansion. Russia claims that a pledge was made, and perhaps it was, but without a signed agreement, it has no force of law.

Russia's treaty violations do, however, have legal consequences, and those consequences don't favor Russia.

As I mentioned earlier, I am largely sympathetic to Russia in all this, but Russian leaders are losing the strategic game. As long as they continue to burn diplomatic bridges and squander political capital on childish tantrums, the good people of Russia will be forced to pay the price.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Plus, it was April 12, apparently the day they celebrate in certain International Cosmonaut circles, commemorating Yuri's first trip to space.

So, the Russians were cutting up in celebration, as men with toys are apt to do.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Majic

You are correct, NATO and the US did not sign any papers. They merely gave their word, and the Russians learned again how the US lies.

The Native American tribes learned that lesson 150 years ago--the US government is well known for its lies and deception.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

In the case of the Native Americans, there were signed treaties.

And... yeah.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majic

The U.S. and NATO never signed an agreement prohibiting eastward expansion. Russia claims that a pledge was made, and perhaps it was, but without a signed agreement, it has no force of law.

Russia's treaty violations do, however, have legal consequences, and those consequences don't favor Russia.

As I mentioned earlier, I am largely sympathetic to Russia in all this, but Russian leaders are losing the strategic game. As long as they continue to burn diplomatic bridges and squander political capital on childish tantrums, the good people of Russia will be forced to pay the price.

I must disagree, respectfully.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Maybe the US should stop provoking Russia and China? It serves no actual interest for the US to do this but could escalate into something far worse than what has happened so far.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I do not have a tv how can I watch?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join