It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian jets speed past US Navy destroyer in 'simulated attack profile

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Nice one I like the missiles too.
Or this guy

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Your 500 pound gorilla just got "the finger" from the bear... what you gonna do

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Ddrneville

LOL

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12
I believe shoulder fired anti air craft missiles have trouble locking onto supersonic targets a few feet above the ocean. The movement and sparkle of the water creates clutter problems for the seeker.

You need bigger radars to pick them out of the background, that low and fast, coming straight at you.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

How about this guy?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ddrneville

Bring more forces to the Baltic sea and the region. Which already is being done
. Surely that's exactly what Putin wants, so he can divert the attention from the crippling situation in his country by an external threat - NATO. Provoke and complain.
edit on 2016-4-15 by gmacev because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

How about this guy?

WTF is that?

By the time they got that launched the attack would be over. They need a bunch more of them, too.

Considering… the 'buzzing' of the destroyer by jets was a display. if it had been a real attack they wouldn't use jets flying close passes like that, they'd swarm a bunch of missiles to all arrive at the target at once, from all directions of the compass, at once. No need to jeopardize an expensive jet and pilot flying insanely vulnerable close passes at ships.

This is a display of one battery of anti air missiles firing lo, medium and hi trajectories to arrive on target all at once. This kind of attack tactic is called 'Time on Target', overwhelms defenses, pitting multiple inbound missiles against target(s).

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Way to actually read, yet again. I was TALKING about the Su-24s.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ddrneville

Watch what happens next.

The smart money is not on the bear.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

It was a simulated attack profile. They approached the ship flying a path similar to what they would fly if they were going to launch on them.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Wow your vid was intense. I really like that.

I now understand.

Thank you.

The missile photo I sent looks like a slow dog compared to you nice find.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It was a simulated attack profile. They approached the ship flying a path similar to what they would fly if they were going to launch on them.

Or if sea skimming missiles were employed.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

So an IR missile designed to operate at low altitude can't track low altitude targets? What, is the surface of the ocean hotter than the aircraft?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

The fact that the Su-24s would have been engaged 100 miles away before they could fire an anti-ship missile seems to be ignored. Nobody seem to know how protected these destroyers are against air attack.

How about the ship's radar...they knew the jets were coming and were not surprised about their presents.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Glad to have you back on board

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I see your point. So do you think the ship would have time to shoot down the Jets? If this was for real?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

If they actually launched, unless CIWS hit them, the launch aircraft are an after thought. Kill the inbounds first, then worry about them. Once they shoot they're no longer a threat.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Zaph, I was taught to never over-fly the enemy position/ship! An attack would have executed many miles away and you would never have seen the planes. They would have used an anti-ship missile that flies very low to the water to strike broadside to the ship. Broadside presents the highest PK. The delivery wouldn't be made with a bow attack because it presents the smallest target for your weapon.

Ships have a layered defenses. I'm not a Navy type and maybe someone can verify this. The first layer is missiles with longer range of hundreds of miles. Next are the Sea Sparrows with a range of approx 30 miles and finally the Seawiz a 20mm cannon that is radar controlled. These handle close-in targets like aircraft and anti-ship missiles. If you can see it, you can kill it.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

The attack profile was carried out well before the video was shot, on the initial approach. The fly by was just a hello from the pilots.

Depending on the missiles used by the attackers, the SM-2 block, Aegis version, and if they have SeaRAM yet, it definitely would be a hot few minutes.

The problem with CIWS is that if it hits the missile, you're getting hurt pretty badly. At that range the missile fragments are going to keep going, right into the side of the ship. And that's if it actually hits the missile.
edit on 4/15/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

I see your point. So do you think the ship would have time to shoot down the Jets? If this was for real?

The ship would have detected the weapon's radar and launch. Then the ship would fire at the enemy airplane and other protective weapons will care for the missile.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join