It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian jets speed past US Navy destroyer in 'simulated attack profile

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
a reply to: Zaphod58

Like I said, if the US/UK/Nato has done it, it wouldn't be reported in the West, would it?

Look.... I get the "all holier than thou, we're the good guys and we stick to the law" schtick but really... no ones that naive any more, are they?

Many are and it's evident after reading any thread that contains the word Russia.

You should know that being a Super Mod.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
USA are such effin assholes.

They sit on the doorstep of other countries carrying out military exercises and whine like babies when someone comes out their front door and bitch slaps you.

Why dont you go back home to amerika and leave everyone alone.

Honestly you make me sick

edit on b28516284 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Why are we shocked at this, or this is news? This has been going on for years, and with different craft.

Back during the days of the cold war, US and Soviet Subs would track and do mock runs on the other in a game of cat and mouse, and other things like this.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Well what do you want them to do. Them russians are not going to attack a US ship. They know that would be crazy and suicidal. and do nothing but get their collective countries asses beaten to a bloody pulp. SO the crew of the ship took in the free airshow of a bunch of vintage russian planes.

Personally with my sense of humor I would have had the crew taunt the russian pilots with vodka bottles. Or lined up a bunch of sailors to moon them collectively on their next flyby. Maybe tell them they are number one with a few hand gestures.

seriously wadda the russians gunna do?

Besides how dumb would we look if we over reacted and showed them our counter offensive suites and abilities.

edit on 13-4-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: GoShredAK

Well what do you want them to do. Them russians are not going to attack a US ship. They know that would be crazy and suicidal. and do nothing but get their collective countries asses beaten to a bloody pulp. SO the crew of the ship took in the free airshow of a bunch of vintage russian planes.

Personally with my sense of humor I would have had the crew taunt the russian pilots with vodka bottles. Or lined up a bunch of sailors to moon them collectively on their next flyby. Maybe tell them they are number one with a few hand gestures.

seriously wadda the russians gunna do?

Besides how dumb would we look if we over reacted and showed them our counter offensive suites and abilities.

I hear ya.

The vodka bottle taunting would be freaking hilarious!

I expected facial expressions to be a bit more tense but I also have no idea what I'm talking about.

If I was captain I suppose I would have locked on to them. As if to say "come at me bros" or "comrades".

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

edit on 4/13/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

They really are being so provocative towards Russia and its near abroad. As you correctly say, if it was roles reversed and Moscow was encircling USA with bases in Canada and Mexico after politically taking over said nations with americans educated in Moscow what would the USA do? Putting it this way you have to admire how unbelievably restrained the Russians are under incredibly nasty and aggressive USA foreign policy towards them.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Oh look, the Russian pilot wannabe Maverick from Top Gun.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
putin needs wart so desperately to distract his people from what a mess his country is

thankfully the USA has a leader who plays the long game and understands this

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Really? You have reports of US pilots flying 30 feet off Bear bombers? And zipping right in front of them? And screaming along low like this in front of Russian destroyers? Yes, the US has done things, but they don't make a habit of doing them like Russia has lately.

In all fairness, it wouldn't be reported in the USA if it has happened, unless it resulted in a direct international incident, would it?

And such things have happened in the past - I mean...you don't get more brazen than a U2 overflying Russia, or a direct Mach 3.2 leg towards the Kola Peninsula or Vladivostok with a last minute turn on a ferret run to see which ships turn their radars on... or a dash down a border.

Not that I'm defending the Russians mind... they're just as bad. Its cat an mouse. But no one is innocent.

That makes the only sense to me. After all, as you say, 'cat and mouse' on both sides showing their war weapons, and they are more likely to come out unscathed.....than more than a couple of civilian aircraft fecking miles high away, who didn't.
Jeez, some people have short memories. I like honesty, not propaganda.

edit on 13-4-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I bet that caused a tightened spincter or two. Holy #!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I find this so funny that the US was in international waters not threatening anyone and we have 2 Russian planes buzzing the Cook and somehow this is the fault of the US.

Amazing logic that is.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
REOs for the Cook was most likely weapons White and Tight, as it is not operating in a theater that is considered a high thread level where the REOs would have the weapons Red and Free.

You do not get to be a captain of a warship by making stupid mistakes (for the most part) and causing international incidents.

Some Ruskkies want to buzz your ship with their weapons unarmed and no lock.......isn't a big deal. Fly Bys happen all the time.

We had a couple of Iranian fighters that would come out and play with all for several hours each day during the first Gulf War (or just before it stated....because after it started, our weapons were Red and Free, and they knew when the crap start flying, it would be very stupid to come play).

We called these guys Mutt and Jeff, and they would fly at us all the time. We'd call them up, tell them to back off. They'd try to pretend that they were jetliners. We'd tell them what their exact altitude and position was, they'd claim ignorance, we'd lock on to them with our AN/SPG-55B guidance radars and they'd turn around and leave.

We were more worried about the mines that were in the water.

Every situation is different.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

You could see the men in the video were getting a kick out of the fly by, I imagine had they felt threatened those would have been totally different looks and actions of those on the Cook.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
This was Russia saying , "You want, come take!"

That was some fine flying, regardless!

LOL, If the U.S. Navy wanted to it would with no hesitation. The Russian jets would have met an SM-2 straight in their canopies before they could get anywhere near the ship. Its a DESTROYER LOL. Trying to attack one is pretty much suicide and I think this is why they did it to the Cook again, they guessed the Captain would not blow them out of the sky since he didn't the first time. .

Hitting them with the Phalanx gun as they got real close, now that would have been purely comical and would have taught them a big lesson. You know the pilots are being ordered to do this, doing a mock attack run on a destroyer is putting your faith in the Captain of that ship keeping a cool head and not turning your plane into shrapnel.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
and the US never encroaches foreign vessels.... 'to show strength' ... mind you sometimes in foreign territorial waters/land.

or am i making this up.

It is only "aggressive behavior" when the Russians do it.

At least according to the Axis Of Propaganda that is the western media.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Yep weapons white and tight till your the sister ship to the USS Stark, on fire and sinking. The Joint Chiefs are going to get a lot of our sailors killed by letting this crap happen over and over. One day they will have weapons and launch them at the last second to limit anyone from doing a dam thing about it. If your not ready to fire, given the speed of Russian cruise missiles then you might as well unzipped your pants and said go ahead, kick me in the jimmy.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
I bet that caused a tightened spincter or two. Holy #!

No not really, if the Cook would have locked them up with Sea Sparrow then yeah, the Russians would need to bug out and clean out their flight suits upon landing lol.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
There was a 1972 agreement between the USA & then USSR to minimise the risks from such events. I assume that agreement was inherited by Russia at the dissolution of the USSR.

Article IV
Commanders of aircraft of the Parties shall use the greatest caution and prudence in approaching aircraft and ships of the other Party operating on and over the high seas, in particular, ships engaged in launching or landing aircraft, and in the interest of mutual safety shall not permit: simulated attacks by the simulated use of weapons against aircraft and ships, or performance of various aerobatics over ships, or dropping various objects near them in such a manner as to be hazardous to ships or to constitute a hazard to navigation.

State Department

If the Russians ignore their obligations, what's then to stop US warship commanders responding aggressively too ? Locking on their anti aircraft systems, for example ?

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Here you are

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join