It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capital gains investments should be taxed at 90%

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Have you seen interest rates?

The only thing with any rate of return on your savings these days IS investment. So basically, you are mad at every person in the US who has a 401(K) retirement account.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Have you seen interest rates?

The only thing with any rate of return on your savings these days IS investment. So basically, you are mad at every person in the US who has a 401(K) retirement account.

I guess in his utopia all us average folks can't accrue a retirement and then we all just work until we die...literally
edit on 13-4-2016 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-4-2016 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What is the difference between taxing capital gains for the purpose of using those funds to bail out a bank, VS the effect of simply implementing a bank bail in?
Maybe a bank bail in on deposits above the $100,000 cap is just more efficient?

With a bank bail in the "tax" or "lost income" is used in a strictly narrow useage to cover and mitigate failures due to a banks mismanagement of funds.
Doesn't seem fair that some poor saver who was earning less than one percent annual return should pay for rampant speculation in subprime mortgage products though does it?

The broader taxation of capital gains results in the ability of the taxing government to reinvest the proceeds which gives the theoretical advantage in classic economics.

After the Lehman Brothers bubble broke of 2008 the US government had to spend trillions of tax dollars to keep the US from complete economic melt dawn. If you study the results you will likely come to the conclusion that this was very inefficient and resulted in people misusing bail out funds for speculation that only benefited a few wealthy investors rather than broadly strengthen the US economy.

Maybe using a "bail in" approach on 401k funds to reducing price bubbles would be more efficient?
edit on 13-4-2016 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
"Social Justice" will never work in a society run by money and power, because humans by nature are selfish. Even in a Communist Utopia there will be those on the top that will take advantage of the peons. Perhaps someday, money itself will go out of style and robots will manufacture and service all human needs, then we can pursue whatever we enjoy in life. However, we're not there yet so off to work I go.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: DupontDeux

I'm talking about the stock market for the most part.

People will be more intelligent with their money especially if their making more enabling them to invest in the company themselves.

You do realize don't you that for many "average" people, this plan of yours would also impact them when they sell their homes (sales of real estate), right?

I bought my home just a few years ago, at the "bottom" of the recession.

I paid just over $100,000 for it then.

I'm nearing (early) retirement age now, and due to both the economic recovery and marked improvements to my community, the value of my home has doubled.

I have a small defined benefit pension through my employer, and have never (directly) invested in the stock markets.

If I were to retire under your plan, selling my home to "downsize" to a retirement home, hoping to augment my meager pension with the capital gains from the sale of my home, I lose 90% of that income to taxes.

Not a very bright future for an old fart to have to face after decades of hard work!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
eh...

Kill the poor.

Eat the rich.

Another day in 'murika.

Personally, I think we'd be better served cleaning out the prisons and getting rid of the ex-cons as well. Society as a whole would be better off if those that broke our laws were not free to run around and were not a burden on our tax system. One strike rule. No appeals, no pleas. Do the crime - earn a box.

See how bad personal ideas can be

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Your idea or plan is a failure based on this.

You want to open up a business. With your idea or plan in play means that you will be 100% supporting the building up of that business out of your pocket. Depending on your business, starting out cost should be over $500K. This becomes your investment. How much you make depends on people wanting to do business with you. If you have the cash, you could do this.

Now the day comes when you are running out of cash from lack of business. You need a bank loan now just to pay the cost of running that business. You run to your local bank and they approve a loan of 1 million to you for your business. They give you a check and it reads $100k (this is based on your idea of all investments be taxed at 90%). Now you owe money on a $1 million dollar loan even though you received $100k.

You walk out of that bank wishing you never made up that 90% taxed investment idea. You go to your business and close up shop because you can not afford it any more, and your a million dollars in debt. You just lost everything, your home, cars, wife, kids.

You ask yourself what when wrong? I busted my butt for this business.

I'll tell you.

The bank invested into your business, and it's because of that 90% taxes on all investments idea you have.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

First off let me start by saying that I don't care about your pension. You should educate yourself and demand that that money be put in YOUR pocket and spend it wisely. In my opinion if we didn't have this safety net line social security people would be forced into a paradigm where they would have to invest wisely and spend their money with intelligence.

Now here's my proposal.

In my opinion all of what capital gains are is investing into the growth of a company at the expense of the individuals working for that company. Now what begins to happen is by the simple act of having money ou get to make a huge ROI off just having it off of the backs of the people working their butt off everyday to create the original value in the first place.

You've done nothing to create a value the people on the ground working hard for 10$ an hour are the ones who actually produce the most.

It's a backwards system that rewards apathy and lazyness.

Now the bulk of consumers are the ones bearing the brunt of this assault in multiple forms. One huge one being taxes on good and trade. Again the majority of the people affected by this are those at the bottom of the pyramid as they consume the most.

So what I think needs to happen is that all capital gains be taxed at 90% and the money be used directly on infrastructure projects and the space program. This will invigorate the economy by providing Mullins of high paying jobs and it will also improve our culture of greed and help us expand our knowing to a universal level.

Problem solved.

You clearly do not understand financial markets and investing. Both serve an important function in allowing businesses to access capital to grow. Individuals, investors, and others would not risk their capital investing under the prospect of 90% tax rates.

The reason capital gains is low is because the investment is occuring with post tax dollars. In addition, there is the risk of losing said investment.

The economy needs that money circulating and the low capital gains is an incentive for people not to horde their capital in a mattress.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

First off let me start by saying that I don't care about your pension. You should educate yourself and demand that that money be put in YOUR pocket and spend it wisely. In my opinion if we didn't have this safety net line social security people would be forced into a paradigm where they would have to invest wisely and spend their money with intelligence.

Now here's my proposal.

In my opinion all of what capital gains are is investing into the growth of a company at the expense of the individuals working for that company. Now what begins to happen is by the simple act of having money ou get to make a huge ROI off just having it off of the backs of the people working their butt off everyday to create the original value in the first place.

You've done nothing to create a value the people on the ground working hard for 10$ an hour are the ones who actually produce the most.

Now the bulk of consumers are the ones bearing the brunt of this assault in multiple forms. One huge one being taxes on good and trade. Again the majority of the people affected by this are those at the bottom of the pyramid as they consume the most.

So what I think needs to happen is that all capital gains be taxed at 90% and the money be used directly on infrastructure projects and the space program. This will invigorate the economy by providing Mullins of high paying jobs and it will also improve our culture of greed and help us expand our knowing to a universal level.

Problem solved.

Oh look another progressive telling us we "didn't build that".

Oh look another progressive idea based solely on emotion instead of facts.

Oh look another progressive that has zero knowledge on what capital gains actually are.

Oh look another progressive thread that starts off with "I don't care about your".
edit on 13-4-2016 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Funny because during he most prosperous time our country has every seen taxes were at their highest for the ultra wealthy.

The world back than compared to today globalization is much different. Hence while their may be some correlation I wouldn't use it as a direct justification.

Nope it rewards those with money and ensures they stay in power.

The elites having billions or even trillions more than the regular JOE, however that IS NOT the issue. The issue is that OUR gov't is being manipulated by them with their monetary influences. You want fair wages and equality than don't worry about how much money they have or how much taxes they pay.

Instead worry about how to get their influences away from our gov't. Until you do that there is no point to discuss taxes, capital gains, healthcare,etc...

To fix the issue in this country IMO we need to concentrate on The Real Issue.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm sick and tired of people thinking that they have a right to my money.

Tax this, tax that. . . . . bite me!

I give of my time and my resources and my money to people who need it. But that is my decision, not government or anyone else's.

Jesus! Leave me and my possessions alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

"Capital Gains" are profits made from selling properties or investments - are you referring taxing business profits, or do you actually mean taxing the profits made when one sells an investment (usually in order to invest in something different?)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Funny because during he most prosperous time our country has every seen taxes were at their highest for the ultra wealthy.

Link

Contrary to what Republicans would have you believe, super-high tax rates on rich people do not appear to hurt the economy or make people lazy: During the 1950s and early 1960s, the top bracket income tax rate was over 90%--and the economy, middle-class, and stock market boomed.

So weird how I have a recent historical example to support my position but you have the exact opposite of that happening today and look at what's going on...

Weird isn't it?

Yup, extremely weird.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Like others have said...you're removing the incentive of investing in companies to the point that nobody would do it in large numbers as the risk isn't worth the reward.

Secondly, you're forgetting that profits made from selling property is considered capital gains, and there are many instances where the profits from selling a home owned by someone would be taxed at your proposed 90% rate. Yes, I understand that there are certain tax exemptions for profits made from sale of primary residences, but like when my grandmother died and left the house to the 4 kids, the large profit that they made on the sale of the home would have been taxed at 90%--that's ridiculous.

Hell, it's ridiculous to even say that capital-gains taxation should be at 90%, because like I and others have said, you negate the desire to invest in companies and properties, and you'll end up drying up that market. It would be safer just to keep that money in the bank at that point, and then I wonder if you'd be complaining about people hoarding cash in bank accounts instead of spending it to boost the economy--the same economy that your proposal helped to worsen.

It makes no sense.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I'm sick and tired of people thinking that they have a right to my money.

Tax this, tax that. . . . . bite me!

I give of my time and my resources and my money to people who need it. But that is my decision, not government or anyone else's.

Jesus! Leave me and my possessions alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Link

Contrary to what Republicans would have you believe, super-high tax rates on rich people do not appear to hurt the economy or make people lazy: During the 1950s and early 1960s, the top bracket income tax rate was over 90%--and the economy, middle-class, and stock market boomed.

So weird how I have a recent historical example to support my position but you have the exact opposite of that happening today and look at what's going on...

Weird isn't it?

Yup, extremely weird.

Hardly anyone paid those tax rates. A tax bracket does not mean you have people actually paying those rates.

What has actually happened with our tax code is that all the burden has been shifted to the upper middle class. Essentially the working stiffs who are successful, but hardly rich or wealthy. The professionals, doctors, lawyers, etc are carrying a bigger burden. The poor and lower classes don't pay anything. The super wealthy also don't really share the burden as much relative to their income/wealthy (people making tens of millions of dollars).

A doctor making $500k is in the highest tax bracket with people making $50 million.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Hardly anyone paid those tax rates. A tax bracket does not mean you have people actually paying those rates.

This was the only point I was trying to convey with the graphic.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Prove it.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

arent capital gains taxes applied to profits from selling a house? or other real estate? not sure exactly what qualifies as capital gains,like would it effect trusts etc?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join