It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple speaks out against new Mississippi religious freedom law

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: thinline

Wrong. First of all they were asked to make a cake. Not a gay cake. No such thing as a gay cake.

Second of all, they offered to make cakes to the general public first. Then the general public took them up on their offer. They made the offer to make cakes first. Nobody is telling them to do anything they didn't already offer to do.

Your argument is false. You are trying to switch the order of things around. They aren't being made to do anything against their will because they have already offered to do something which they then decide to back out of depending on the customer.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I will NOT be the person that tell another human being what to do...not my pay grade and not yours either. I don't force people to do what I think is right. I think people should be free to make their own decisions unlike you and the Government.

You are some sort of Authoritarian who thinks they hold a superior moral code that should be forced on to others just like the religious zealots you claim to be against. People need to leave each other the alone.

What about Apple's right to enforce their own corporate employee guidelines, their own closely held moral values/religious beliefs? What about Apple's right to expect their employees to service all the clients that come into their Apple Stores equally, regardless of sexual orientation? What about Apple's right to hire LGBTQ employees?

Under these laws, if any their of their employees refuses service to LGBTQ clients, Apple has no recourse against those employees. If Apple HR hires a LGBTQ employee, their store manager can discriminate against that manager with impunity.

edit on 13-4-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Normally I'd be in full agreement with you, but I have a hard time taking Apple seriously, given their track record in employing cheap overseas labor to manufacture their products.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Same old religious arguments- at one time they used religious freedom as a justification for slavery.

What would religion be without it's constant justification of hate?

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Pendulums always swing both ways.

If anyone honestly thought that this wouldn't happen, then they are naïve.

Racism wasn't eliminated with civil rights laws. This, like everything else, will simply take time.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I see this less of a statement or stance by Apple and more of a CYA or some idiot-marketing exec's idea of "Let No Tragedy go to Waste".

Hey- let's let everyone know we disagree with this law so we can smell like roses and people will love us and buy our products.

This is a business - plain and simple. They don't give a # about societal problems. They care about 1 thing and 1 thing only.

$$$

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

Normally I'd be in full agreement with you, but I have a hard time taking Apple seriously, given their track record in employing cheap overseas labor to manufacture their products.

I'm reminded of Hobby Lobby, and their Chinese...cough forced abortion cough, business ties, legally denying birth control coverage for their own employees based on their corporate religious/moral values.

edit on 13-4-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Next thing is we will see signs with "Whites only".

I would love to hear from an atheist run company or store how they have refused service to people wearing a crucifix.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit
I see this less of a statement or stance by Apple and more of a CYA or some idiot-marketing exec's idea of "Let No Tragedy go to Waste".

Hey- let's let everyone know we disagree with this law so we can smell like roses and people will love us and buy our products.

This is a business - plain and simple. They don't give a # about societal problems. They care about 1 thing and 1 thing only.

$$$

So then you have to accept that the rest of the public agrees that these laws need to be repealed, right?
If you want to claim that Google, Apple and PayPal are just doing this for good business, you have to accept that the public is on that same side.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Metallicus

I will NOT be the person that tell another human being what to do...not my pay grade and not yours either. I don't force people to do what I think is right. I think people should be free to make their own decisions unlike you and the Government.

You are some sort of Authoritarian who thinks they hold a superior moral code that should be forced on to others just like the religious zealots you claim to be against. People need to leave each other the alone.

What about Apple's right to enforce their own corporate employee guidelines, their own closely held moral values/religious beliefs? What about Apple's right to expect their employees to service all the clients that come into their Apple Stores equally, regardless of sexual orientation? What about Apple's right to hire LGBTQ employees?

Under these laws, if any their of their employees refuses service to LGBTQ clients, Apple has no recourse against those employees. If Apple HR hires a LGBTQ employee, their store manager can discriminate against that manager with impunity.

These are all really good points that needed to be emphasized.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
So then you have to accept that the rest of the public agrees that these laws need to be repealed, right?
If you want to claim that Google, Apple and PayPal are just doing this for good business, you have to accept that the public is on that same side.

That's EXACTLY what I'm claiming. They don't care (in my opinion) what is morally right or wrong. They care about making $$$.

As pointed out earlier, look at the hypocrisy of Apple (and most others) doing business in Saudi Arabia and other more restrictive nations.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

I'm reminded of Hobby Lobby, and their Chinese...cough forced abortion cough, business ties, legally denying birth control coverage for their own employees based on their corporate religious/moral values.

That decision is still Wrong.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Seems like it was pretty well dealt with already a long time ago.

The states on the other hand....

The south is kind of messed up....

If you're offended by that, be thin skinned then....

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

$$$

Obviously you aren't a business man! I am and It IS a good business practice to care about societal problems because most of your potential customers....DO!!

Here's a term you might be unfamiliar with....Public Relations....

All this racist, anti gay, legislation is blowing up in the faces of the extreme right wing states....as it should!

edit on 13-4-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

They don't care (in my opinion) what is morally right or wrong. They care about making $$$.

Actually, Apple's Tim Cook has shown more than a few times that he cares. I don't think people should be so cynical to assume that just because a company is successful, means they only care about money. There are mega successful people and corporations fighting the good fight, putting their efforts toward a better world, and speaking out on issues out of conscience.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
So are corporations good now?

I thought they were all evil.

0_o

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

0_o

They employ a lot of people.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

But they are evil, because taxes!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

0_o

Mine isn't....we support Apples business practices but would never buy an "i" anything. It's called capitalism.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Just wait until Christians are denied service for their faith, they will be screaming persecution while calling their own bigotry "moral".

I honestly cannot wait for it to happen and to see the pie on their faces. Might be petty of me but I don't really care. These laws they are pushing are absolutely disgusting.

If the christians are faithful in reading their Bible they already know they will face
severe persecution sometime in the future.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join