It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple speaks out against new Mississippi religious freedom law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Apple and other technology companies speak out against yet another state that is circling the wagons against the evil LGBTQ army, threatening to dismantle the nation, throw us into chaos, and bring the wrath of gawd upon us all.

Apple today has spoken out against a controversial new bill in Mississippi that was signed into law by the state’s governor earlier this week. House Bill 1523 is spun as protecting religious freedom but has been criticized for enabling LGBT discrimination. Apple today has joined a variety of technology companies in voicing its opposition to the law.

“We want Mississippians to know that our stores and our company are open to everyone, regardless of where they come from, what they look like, how they worship or who they love.”

Seems to me, those who scream persecution the loudest, are the ones doing the persecuting. This isn't about religious freedom, it's about shunning the "undesirables" and pushing them back into hiding as they have been for generations. How dare they come out of their closets, thinking they can be a functioning and contributing part of society?

Is the U.S. heading into a prolonged cold civil war? The more outspoken and radical Christians/domionists on one side, and the constitution on the other? How many more states will follow on the heels of N. Carolina, Mississippi, and others in trampling the rights of anyone they deem unfit to be a part of society?
Link

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

So Apple is against religious freedom?

Shame on Apple. Time to boycott.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Just wait until Christians are denied service for their faith, they will be screaming persecution while calling their own bigotry "moral".

I honestly cannot wait for it to happen and to see the pie on their faces. Might be petty of me but I don't really care. These laws they are pushing are absolutely disgusting.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

It absolutely baffles me at the level of hypocrisy that surrounds religious freedom. In my opinion, there should 100% be separation of church and state. If you are not harming another individual (feelings not include) then you should be free to love and live as you please. At the same time, if a business that is privately owned chooses to discriminate, I think that should be on them. They should be allowed to refuse people and the people they offend should be allowed to protest and refuse to shop there. I, for one, don't want to give my time or money to someone who does not like me but it is their prerogative to do with their private company what they want. Let them drown in their own hypocrisy and excrement. Right to protest, right to religious freedom.

Apple is doing the right thing, imo. If a business does not like the policies of a state in which it does business and ultimately attributes to the growth of the economy, they will feel that more than people holding signs. I applaud this statement that they are making.

The hippie in me just wants to tell everyone to chill out with this craziness.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Apple is against bigotry which is a good thing. These religious freedom laws are bigotry hiding behind the word "freedom". Kind of like how the Patriot Act hid behind the word "Patriot" or Citizens United hides behind its name. They're anything but what their names imply.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Just wait until Christians are denied service for their faith, they will be screaming persecution while calling their own bigotry "moral".

Hypocrisy is at the heart of most "Christians" I have encountered. I was raised Southern Baptist so I have met a lot of them.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Especially since our constitution already protects religious freedom. Why does any state need another law to protect religious freedoms? They don't, unless they're really trying to take freedom and rights away from others.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I guess they will be pulling their products out of the middle east.

No? I see.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Don't say they. I'm a Christian and I do not support these laws. Too many people that claim to be followers of Christ don't pay enough attention to the red text. "Let he that is without sin cast the first stone."

We are supposed to love people, not ostracize them. Judging is His job, not ours.

link   

Apple is just another huge corporation trying to unduly influence laws in our country. I am tired of corporations using their money to control our population. Apple is against religious freedom and frankly I am sick and tired of their crap.

link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Metallicus

Apple is against bigotry which is a good thing. These religious freedom laws are bigotry hiding behind the word "freedom". Kind of like how the Patriot Act hid behind the word "Patriot" or Citizens United hides behind its name. They're anything but what their names imply.

The next mormon missionary that comes to my door will be beaten down in the front yard, how many would support that? Evangelical asshats, are evangelical asshats.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

No? I see.

Point taken, but two thoughts on that.

1. Apple hasn't "pulled" their products from Mississippi or N. Carolina, either.
2. Apple is an American company, and as such, has a right to speak out against this in the country they are based, and they are citizens of.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Right, DISCRIMINATION and Reverse DISCRIMINATION are exactly the same thing.

To Prosecute a Christian for refusing to serve a person they believe the bible told them to have nothing to do with is actually religious Discrimination so while this has a lot of people up in arm's Mississippi has actually made the Right call.

This is not to allow Discrimination in Public Services or in large retail or the like, this is to protect the culture and community of Religious group's from being Persecuted through so called Reverse Discrimination.

"I don't care what your belief's are or if you own the joint I want YOU to SERVE ME now or I will take you to court and sue you", how would you feel.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I agree with race and religion being protected, but you are talking about protecting behavior and no one is protected from the consequences of their behavior. I don't believe in Government or corporations forcing people to act contrary to their own beliefs.

Its okay if we don't agree, but I think Government and corporate overreach is a problem and we need to start punishing companies that take advantage of their dollars to control us.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
OK, I checked out the "law". Seems like what happened is that Miss decriminalized discrimination..... against the gay community. When that happens in Iran people get bent out of shape. But here it's OK? It's the gov't making theocratic decisions for the public.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

No? I see.

1. Apple hasn't "pulled" their products from Mississippi or N. Carolina, either.
2. Apple is an American company, and as such, has a right to speak out against this in the country they are based, and they are citizens of.

So you are one of those people that believe PACs and Corporations should influence policy instead of people. Good to know who to blame the next time some law is made because of corporate donations.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

14th Amendment Section I
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

This law pretty much erases this part of our Constitution and acts like it doesn't exist.

It also ignores the 1st Amendment, we all know this law was made in order to appease Christians.
edit on 4/12/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I agree with race and religion being protected, but you are talking about protecting behavior and no one is protected from the consequences of their behavior. I don't believe in Government or corporations forcing people to act contrary to their own beliefs.

Its okay if we don't agree, but I think Government and corporate overreach is a problem and we need to start punishing companies that take advantage of their dollars to control us.

I can agree with this, but this goes into a lot more than the topic of this thread. And it certainly doesn't address the bigotry being legislated by these states. If they feel their rights are being infringed upon, let them take it up with the highest court in the land. They won't though, because they know the 14th amendment guarantees their loss.

I would never argue that Apple and others will play the hypocrite when they think it's good for business, though.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

No? I see.

Wait , isnt Apple a Chinese company now ? With most of the support in India ? The only US thing is the HQ here.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

No? I see.

So you are one of those people that believe PACs and Corporations should influence policy instead of people. Good to know who to blame the next time some law is made because of corporate donations.

No I don't, but I do support a company's right to speak out publicly, just like I would a citizen.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join