It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The English welch Scotts and Irish are all the same!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The English welch Scotts and Irish are all the same! There not different like they tend to think if themselves as. I don't know why they think they're so different from each other. It's like an Arab is an Arab. African an African. Or an Asian an Asian. They're all the same. But yet they think one is better than another. Why??? It's stupid in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance
Its always been stupid...but that's the human race isn't it....

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Expand that thought. If that is so then an Arab is a Jew, black is white, man is woman..... we are ALL ONE.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
The English welch Scotts and Irish are all the same! There not different like they tend to think if themselves as. I don't know why they think they're so different from each other. It's like an Arab is an Arab. African an African. Or an Asian an Asian. They're all the same. But yet they think one is better than another. Why??? It's stupid in my opinion.

Good luck with this.

You may want to check your spelling though if you want to get a true rise out of it.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Perhaps we should have a new descriptor then? The Scwuelchish?

"These three Scwelchish guys walk into a bar..."

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Hey, i'm swelchish.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Who Buys.....

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: chr0naut

Hey, i'm swelchish.

I'm Swinglish.

It's better if you remember Wayne's World.

Shwing.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
That's a very broad statement.
In terms of genetics, it is probably true that there is a lot of common inheritance.
But in terms of language (if only in dialect or accent), the differences have always been obvious, and language is probably more crucial to a sense of social identity than genetics. (Thus the "celtic" Bretons have always regarded themselves as distinct from the equally "celtic" speakers of French).
And all those jokes about "There was an Englishman, a Welshman, a Scotsman and and Irishman..." depend on the differences. No difference, no punchline.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
You may want to check your spelling though if you want to get a true rise out of it.

"Welch" is legitimate, though slightly archaic. My father was a member of the "Welch Regiment" during the war, and I've got the cap badges to prove it. Hence, presumably, the verb "to welch", though we'd better not dwell on that.

(On second thoughts, you are perhaps looking at a different word in that post)
edit on 12-4-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

First of all, although all human beings are the same in that they are all members of the same species (statement of fact, not for debate), it is not accurate to say that an African is an African, because Africa is not a country, it is a continent. Within that continent are many different countries, and within those countries are different cultures.

Arabs also are not all alike. For a start, some of them live in Northern Africa technically speaking, which means they have different cultural influences to an Arab who lives in the Middle East proper.

And here is the very special thing about the various kingdoms which make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Our peoples, the Scottish, the Irish, the English and the Welsh were and are distinct from one another. Our shared history has been bloody, often with incidents of one or another of the tribes beating the snot out of the others for a time, as much as any invasions from elsewhere. But suffice to say, we spent a good deal of time, up until relatively recently in the history of these isles (which is fantastically long by the way), at war with one another.

Then, bit by bit, the Scottish, the Welsh, some of the Irish, and the English, came to terms, often by blood to be sure, but terms none the less. But you must understand that although I am the product of every one of the four nations that make up this one nation we call the Unitied Kingdom, and although I am proud to say that despite efforts to break it apart, that the nation is still united, an Englishman and a Scottsman are not the same thing in the least.

In fact, it is one of the strengths that the UK has traditionally had over nations with whom it has gone to war, nations with whom it has made trade deals... The combination of the nations under one flag that are collectively known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain, is a potent mix precisely because of our diversity, rather than because we are all the same. It has ever been thus, and long may it continue!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

'English' are Anglo-Saxons where the Scots, Irish and Welsh are are Celts. If you go as far back as the 6th century the Scots were Picts who mainly came from Ireland, Wales Ireland and Scotland have viking blood in them also. The English are totally different and come from Germany Anglo Saxons. So you are correct about the Scots, The Irish and the Welsh being the same but not the English.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Sometimes these differences are very superficial and recent, such as the people of Kansas and Missouri. Kansas was settled largely by anti-slavery Yankees, while Missouri was settled by pro-slavery Southerners. They dislike each other to this day, though folks from other parts of the USA just don't get it. I say that as a Missouri boy who lives just a few miles from that other place...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Sure. And a Swahili is the same as a Bushman. A northern Chinese is the same as a Cambodian. And a Cherokee is the same as a Tlingit.

If you want to say, "Kumbaya, we're all human!" great and good luck with that.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short
Scots, Irish and Welsh have different DNA strain to the English' so its not just a case of dislike there are real differences. Scotland and its people believe in helping people and community values, Millionaires in Scotland mix with everyone else and don't see them as any different where in England, the English believe in attacking anyone weaker than themselves such as children and the disabled and certain groups think they are better than other which is a German trait. Tories do not get voted in to office in Scotland but do in England, Englands punishment of the poor is hard for Scots to swallow.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: pavmas

Bollocks!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This OP is just plain stupidity belched up from the bowels of ignorance.
edit on 30America/ChicagoTue, 12 Apr 2016 19:03:54 -0500Tue, 12 Apr 2016 19:03:54 -050016042016-04-12T19:03:54-05:00700000003 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

(post by bigyin removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I think you're painting with an awfully broad brush. In that light, all dogs are the same regardless of species. That's not to say that we shouldn't celebrate our similarities rather than our differences. If that was your intent, then I'm all for it.

Cultural differences make for different people. Nothing wrong with also celebrating and enjoying the different cultures.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I heard those guys are swell fellas a reply to: chr0naut

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join