It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and the NWO, Antichrist, etc.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I want to preface this by saying that I am not putting these ideas on Robert Jordan, but merely pulling them out of his work. I have no idea what his opinions on these topics are.
Also, if this is more appropriate for BTS, please move it - but since I'm using the books as relating to several conspiracy topics, I threw it up here.

Finally - if you haven't read these books, you'll have no idea what I'm talking about so please don't comment asking what the hell I'm talking about

So.

These are just some parallels I see between the books and real life (or real life concepts, atleast.)

First, the Dragon as Christ:

Rand is a Second Coming of the Dragon. He is preceded by False Dragons. He is come to save the world, but he is feared because he is also come to Break the world. His Coming is foretold by an elaborate set of prophecies.

Now admittedly, he lacks the same type of divinity because the Creator in WOT seems to not take an active role in the world. (However, there are a few places where this seems to maybe not be the case)

However the similarities: Jesus's Second Coming is also said to be preceded by false messiahs, culminating in the Antichrist. In the books - Mazrim Taim was a False Dragon who ends up working with Rand until we find out he seems to be aligned AGAINST him, secretly.
Also, this time around, Chirst is said to be coming as a "destroyer".
And Christ's coming is foretold by prophecy.

Second, the Forsaken as NWO:

The Forsaken all serve the same master - The Dark One. They take positions of power and manipulate the masses against each other and against Rand.
They have knowledge the masses don't (and even that the Aes Sedai don't) from the Age of Legends, thus they are more powerful than alll but a few.
However, their method of operation is to work alone or form alliances with one another, or to work outright against one another. They all have the goal of being the Dark One's right-hand man.

This makes me wonder - is the NWO similar?

We 'know' they serve Satan. They take positions of power and manipulate armies and populaces. They have occult knowledge which makes them powerful.

But here's a question - are they united or do they all struggle against one another for a "Top Spot" of some sort??

It makes me wonder if this is coincidence or if Jordan has a passing interest in these things. I am, perhaps, blending areas of interest together and just creating these parallels?

I'll try to think of more soon - these were the main ones which I often ponder.
I'd be curious to hear anyone's thoughts on these ideas or on anything else from the books.

Does the Taint have a real world equivalent? Aes Sedai? The Source?

Umm.. yeah.
Any thoughts are more than welcome.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Well for one thing Jordan pretty much copied and adapted EVERYTHING IN SIGHT in the WoT series and thats not a bad thing IMO, it makes it more believable IMHO. Your question is interesting, in the books the Forsaken are far from friends and they need a master "Moridin" which literally means Death to keep them in check, I wonder if the same is true for the "NWO" (not that I believe in that stuff, just a Jordan fan and you pose some interesting questions) in that thier near to the top ranks are like a Multinational Boardroom where everyone is jockeying for position to be the next top boss. If this is true then it stands to reason that "WE" have an advantage.

White Tower Aes Sadai = The establishment

The Source = ... God? The Universe?
I dunno... Jordan loves his obscure symbolism. Still don't know who killed Asmodean heh. Good post btw.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Still don't know who killed Asmodean heh.

But RJ said it was obvious, and that we should all know by now.
I guess that depends on your definition of obvious. I agree, he used everything he ever heard of in the books. Not that I mind, I love them, and every time I read them, I find something I hadn't noticed before. Kind of like Monty Python / Holy Grail, the first 50 times I saw it.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

Originally posted by sardion2000
Still don't know who killed Asmodean heh.

But RJ said it was obvious, and that we should all know by now.
I guess that depends on your definition of obvious. I agree, he used everything he ever heard of in the books. Not that I mind, I love them, and every time I read them, I find something I hadn't noticed before. Kind of like Monty Python / Holy Grail, the first 50 times I saw it.

Heh I know what you are talking about. I've read the series like 10 times now
just to refresh my memory before the next book comes out. There are only two books left YAY. I feel exausted phew. I hope RJ picks up the pase like 500% cuz the last 4-5 books kinda dragged on in places getting worse every single book. I actually joked with my buddies that he was using a Ghost Writer(namely his Wife
Hes gotta be whipped heh)

BTW Who do you think killed him? I believe it was ... ONE OF THE FORSAKEN.
Serously now, I could've been anyone when you think about it, so I'll take a stab...hmmm....dammit don't have Fires of Heaven on me right now.. I'll guess then ..... Graendal

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The last few books have sort of dragged a bit, haven't they? Come on, already, wrap it up. Things don't move along they way they used too. Sometimes I worry that he will die before he finishes the series.

As for Asmo, Graendal does seem like the best choice. My only other idea is a totally whacky theory, supported by supposition, inference, leaps of logic that fall way short and some plain old wishful thinking. Lanfear. The theory goes that when Rand balefired Rhavin, he hit him hard enough to go way back. So, then Lanfear and Moiraine don't go through the door for some reason or another, and Lanfear pops back to life and kills Asmo.

Immense holes in this, largest one being what happened to Moiraine? but something in favour if it is RJ's love of foreshadowing. The passage starts off with Asmo thinking about his rebirth through the use of balefire and how lucky he is to be alive. Then he starts thinking about how glad he is that Lanfear is dead, because he really didn't like her. Then he opens a door, face goes pale, says 'You? No!' right before he dies. It's just so full of irony, and so incredibly obvious, until dismissed because Lanfear is supposed to be gone. And it could also explain why Lanfear and Moiraine didn't suffer the same fate.

The beauty is I never have to prove it, because he isn't saying any different.

top topics

join