It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Equal Pay Day: When, where and why women earn less than men

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

(CNN)April 12 is a day most women would rather not celebrate.

It's Equal Pay Day, and it's the day that, if you're a woman, your earnings have finally caught up with what men were paid the previous year.
The good news is that the gender pay gap is getting smaller. In 1964, women on average were paid 59% of what men were paid. In 2014, that number had jumped to 79%.
Young women asking for and getting more pay than men
But that's the bad news, too: Women are typically paid 79% of what men are paid.
New goal: U.S. women's soccer eyes equal pay
If current trends continue, women won't earn equal pay until 2059, according to the Institute for Women's Policy Research.
And depending on where you live, your age, race and education level, you could be waiting much longer than that.
Here's a look at how those factors play into the gender pay gap:

www.cnn.com...

vs

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Men tend to work 8.14 hours a day, opposed to womens 7.75

Found the gap.

www.forbes.com...

The Department of Labor’s Time Use Survey, for example, finds that the average full-time working man spends 8.14 hours a day on the job, compared to 7.75 hours for the full-time working woman. Employees who work more likely earn more. Men working five percent longer than women alone explains about one-quarter of the wage gap.

Not to mention gender discrimination is extremely illegal.
edit on 12-4-2016 by frostie because: Link

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

Clearly another facet of male privilege.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Do not get me started on female privilege.

edit on 12-4-2016 by frostie because: Added a funny vid

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I don;t know where you found that, but it has nothing to do with pay per hour. Women demand 'the whole damn dollar'.

A white woman generally makes 79 cents on the dollar that a man makes. If a woman is Latino or Black, the gap is wider.

This MUST change. This HAS to change. There is NO logical argument against it.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

(CNN)April 12 is a day most women would rather not celebrate.

It's Equal Pay Day, and it's the day that, if you're a woman, your earnings have finally caught up with what men were paid the previous year.
The good news is that the gender pay gap is getting smaller. In 1964, women on average were paid 59% of what men were paid. In 2014, that number had jumped to 79%.
Young women asking for and getting more pay than men
But that's the bad news, too: Women are typically paid 79% of what men are paid.
New goal: U.S. women's soccer eyes equal pay
If current trends continue, women won't earn equal pay until 2059, according to the Institute for Women's Policy Research.
And depending on where you live, your age, race and education level, you could be waiting much longer than that.
Here's a look at how those factors play into the gender pay gap:

www.cnn.com...

vs

When you control for profession, education, and all the other factors relevant to what one earns, there is practically no wage gap between men and women. Much of the gap comes from the fact that women tend to gravitate towards lower paying fields, so if you aggregately look at what the average woman makes they will make less than what the average man makes.

Logically, it doesn't even make sense that there would be a wage gap between men and women doing the same job. These same progressives will tell us that businesses are greedy. Simple question, if businesses are truly greedy and profit driven, then every business would simply fire all the men and just hire women if we can get away with paying them 80 cents on the dollar for the same productivity.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Companies spend lots of money developing talent and men don't get pregnant and quit their jobs out of the blue.

#wagegap
edit on 2016/4/12 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Clearly male privilege...
As a man, I demand maternity time.

There, now we are a little closer to equal.

What if..what if... Men are better workers on average and are rewarded for it? It couldn't be that right?

I remember growing up my parents also saying something about life isn't fair.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I don;t know where you found that, but it has nothing to do with pay per hour. Women demand 'the whole damn dollar'.

A white woman generally makes 79 cents on the dollar that a man makes. If a woman is Latino or Black, the gap is wider.

This MUST change. This HAS to change. There is NO logical argument against it.

I found it on Forbes, and extremely prestigious source.

(Theyre the ones who do all the national reports concerning money, from net worth to college tuition rates)

That whole 79 cent statistic or whatever is calculated with many flaws and does not take everything into account.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, full-time working women earned 81 percent of what full-time working men earned in 2010 (the most recent data available), leaving a “gap” of 19 percent between the sexes

So all the women added up made less than all the men added up.

Sadly no one ever looks into why.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Ohh boy, problem is what group of people will actually say things are finally equal...never happen..that's the rub...more women in my office than men but I don't hear the women saying wait, we need an equal amount of men...what was the good old boy table has move to the good old girl table....yet folks turn a blind eye...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Manufactured, manipulated, false stats.
Feminism is a dirty outrage industry. I wish there were rules 'groups' had to follow about nitpicking phony stats.
Even Obama has regurgitated these bull spit stats. Crazy

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

Yea, and my wife makes 4k more than I do (professional jobs)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

These are kids. If I were on that team, I would have walked off the field. Not in tears, though. I would have demanded a reschedule and censure of the idiots in the stands. New rules for deportment of spectators.

The Trump Loonie Tunes go after kids. Just crazy.

edit on 12-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Companies spend lots of money developing talent and men don't get pregnant and quit their jobs out of the blue.

#wagegap

I should hope men aren't getting pregnant 'out of the blue', that would be rather strange.

I was managing a Motel when I became pregnant, but the owners that lived far away would not spring for a girl from the village to help clean the 40 rooms (I did almost all myself, my former husband was working for a radio station, commuting 25 miles away). So we left the Motel and moved in with my former Mother-in-Law. I apologize if hiring a girl to clean rooms part time at $6 an hour would have killed them.

I got the closest job I could find. managing an ice cream store 2 blocks away.

I didn't tell them I was pregnant, by law, I do not have to. My due date was near the time a Dairy Queen like ice cream store would close for the season anyway. Nearing on September, the owners questioned me about my pregnancy. It was obvious by then. I told them I could work up until the last minute. And I did. I got 8 weeks paid disability after. Was lucky, some only get 4 or 6.

The next job I had was customer service for a large romance novel company. I started part-time, I was still nursing. I needed to pump during my shift. They gave me a conference room to use on my break. When I felt I could spend more time away from home, they were happy to give me full time.

I don't know of many who quit 'out of the blue' due to pregnancy.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I wonder if they happen to be adding in all the single mothers? Seems to me that if you are a single mother, you might be making less than your male counterpart who doesn't have to bail to take care of kids. You can call that unfair all you want, but the simple fact is that the woman made the life choices that led to her being a single mother in most circumstances. There aren't all that many poor, beknighted widows running around out there.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Truth is that many who are married do quit to take time away with their children or lower the amount of hours they work. Of course, they often aren't the ones screaming they aren't being paid fairly. However, they are being used to calculate the stat.

My cousin comes to mind as she is one who has done it.

And when/if she goes back to the workforce, she will not expect to be paid as if she never quit her job either.
edit on 12-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I wonder if they happen to be adding in all the single mothers? Seems to me that if you are a single mother, you might be making less than your male counterpart who doesn't have to bail to take care of kids. You can call that unfair all you want, but the simple fact is that the woman made the life choices that led to her being a single mother in most circumstances. There aren't all that many poor, beknighted widows running around out there.

Most have sitters or family to help. When I got divorced, my daughter was 5. I certainly had sitters to call. Ex husband wasn't a great help in that regard. He always seemed to think his job was more important. He wanted joint custody, but assumed it would be me to pick up our child if ever she was sick at school or a sitter bailed.

Eventually, I hired a nursing student that was always available after 1pm, on call, at $10 an hour and my ex husband had to sign papers that he would pay half.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The bottom line is that there is on wage gap.

This is nothing more than propaganda using progressive math to make it look like women are victims.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: reldra

And when/if she goes back to the workforce, she will not expect to be paid as if she never quit her job either.

People should be paid based on education and experience, not based on the fact they left and came back to the workforce. There may be a period of retraining time until they make the same salary, but your argument makes little sense.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
The bottom line is that there is on wage gap.

This is nothing more than propaganda using progressive math to make it look like women are victims.

It is just wrong, period. It is not propaganda and there is only 1 math.

I'm surprised you didn't throw in special snowflake or SJW.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join