It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Players So ‘Upset and Distraught’ Over Chants That They ‘Weren’t Able to Finish the Game’

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: amicktd

I have added. Didn't know I had to agree with people in order to post.

We're dealing with name-calling and hurt feelings.

Maybe we should get the UN involved?

When you have something important that pertains to the thread let me know.

Isn't that the point?

This is a tempest in a teapot, a molehill mountain.

Drama, drama, drama.

Over some name callers and some poor little babies with hurt fee-fee's.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Where were the adults in all this? It seems a bit dramatic that they couldn't go on but then again no one knows someone elses pain or should presume they do. Unfortunately part of growing up is learning how to not let the many a-hole's you will meet in life affect you or discourage you, but I'm disappointed in the adults here.
edit on 13-4-2016 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-4-2016 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: kaylaluv

We are raising victims and encouraging victims and rewarding victimhood.

Apparently, looking at the chanters, we are also raising obnoxious pricks. Whatever happened to raising someone to have manners?

Kids are obnoxioux pricks in general.

You can't submit them to tests to see if they are sociopathic, because all kids will show as being sociopaths. They are driven by impulse, and haven't developed the neural networks that come from years of experience exercising good logic skills. Even worse, their sociopathy makes them almost immune to empathic urges.

I never chanted hateful things at a sporting event during my youth. I went to plenty of high school basketball and football games - never heard any racist chantings in the crowd. My school was basically all white, but we played mostly black teams many times. Racist chanting was never an issue.

It is possible for a teen to act with manners - if they are raised properly.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Where were the adults in all this?

If it is anything like my neck of the woods? Frozen in fear of litigation.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

I bet there is a whole bunch of truth in that..sad state we are in.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I have added. Didn't know I had to agree with people in order to post.

We're dealing with name-calling and hurt feelings.

Maybe we should get the UN involved?

When you have something important that pertains to the thread let me know.

Isn't that the point?

This is a tempest in a teapot, a molehill mountain.

Drama, drama, drama.

Over some name callers and some poor little babies with hurt fee-fee's.

I don't know what your point is, all the posts I read from you that was directed at me was just trolling. So if you have a point, spit it out.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

We are raising victims and encouraging victims and rewarding victimhood.

Apparently, looking at the chanters, we are also raising obnoxious pricks. Whatever happened to raising someone to have manners?

Kids are obnoxioux pricks in general.

You can't submit them to tests to see if they are sociopathic, because all kids will show as being sociopaths. They are driven by impulse, and haven't developed the neural networks that come from years of experience exercising good logic skills. Even worse, their sociopathy makes them almost immune to empathic urges.

I never chanted hateful things at a sporting event during my youth. I went to plenty of high school basketball and football games - never heard any racist chantings in the crowd. My school was basically all white, but we played mostly black teams many times. Racist chanting was never an issue.

It is possible for a teen to act with manners - if they are raised properly.

All it takes is 1 bad kid to cause it.

No, we didn't do that kind of stuff growing up. But we also put a stop to bullying. I was bigger/stronger than everyone else, and just started beating up bullies until it stopped. Well...me and a friend (the second biggest/strongest in the school).

But you hear about kids doing all sorts of stupid things. Especially if there is an adult that "gives them permission" by acting badly. They are little mob thinkers, and just do what their neighbor does most often.

It would crush you to know what your kids have done while you were nowhere around. I know the kind of stuff I did as a kid....and can only try to not imagine.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I was simply disagreeing with you because;

A) poor babies don't get much sympathy from me

B) You were calling the people criticizing the babies, snowflakes so I simply referred to you as the same for criticizing the people criticizing.

And then you started calling me a troll 'cause you were offended.

And then I laughed.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Having read the article and watched the video the following can be stated:

This could be turned into a learning experience for the girls. And the coach of that girls soccer team could tell the girls about another athlete who experienced the very same thing. This man was not liked by his country, considered a second class citizen, and like most were put down. If he got too high, could have been killed, but he kept on with his dream. Then one day he got the opportunity to participate in the Olympics, however, the host country would not view him as equal, in fact, they would view him far worse than his home country. However, this man did not let that stop him or slow him down, he won the gold medal in track, the year was 1936, and the man was Jesse Owens.

History will show that at that time frame African Americans were treated like a second class citizen in much of the country and Nazi Germany hated anyone who was not of their ideal race. For him to participate and win the gold medal, representing a country who did not like him cause of his skin color in a country where the government and some of the people would despise him for just living, and winning was a testament to all, without raising a fist.

That lesson is what those girls need, cause if they are going to allow a few to run them out of something that they may be good at, then they will always be the victim. Many people in the history of the USA, marched, were beaten and killed for them to have an opportunity, and to honor those who came before would be to go out and do what they want to do, to win at sports and show that no matter how hard the adversity or hatred shown, that it will never stop them from being successful. Cause if they run now, what will happen the next time or the time after that, do they forever remain a victim or take a page from history and stand up for what is right?

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I was simply disagreeing with you because;

A) poor babies don't get much sympathy from me

B) You were calling the people criticizing the babies, snowflakes so I simply referred to you as the same for criticizing the people criticizing.

And then you started calling me a troll 'cause you were offended.

And then I laughed.

Ok and I disagree with you because:

A) The girls do get sympathy from me, because it's not normal or acceptable for a crowd to chant racist remarks against other players.

B)The whole snowflake argument is a farce

C) I called you a troll, because that's exactly what you were doing.

ETA: By the way I'm not offended in any way whatsoever. I'm pissed because people are making a joke out of some innocent girls dealing with blatant racism.
edit on 13-4-2016 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
Having read the article and watched the video the following can be stated:

This could be turned into a learning experience for the girls. And the coach of that girls soccer team could tell the girls about another athlete who experienced the very same thing. This man was not liked by his country, considered a second class citizen, and like most were put down. If he got too high, could have been killed, but he kept on with his dream. Then one day he got the opportunity to participate in the Olympics, however, the host country would not view him as equal, in fact, they would view him far worse than his home country. However, this man did not let that stop him or slow him down, he won the gold medal in track, the year was 1936, and the man was Jesse Owens.

History will show that at that time frame African Americans were treated like a second class citizen in much of the country and Nazi Germany hated anyone who was not of their ideal race. For him to participate and win the gold medal, representing a country who did not like him cause of his skin color in a country where the government and some of the people would despise him for just living, and winning was a testament to all, without raising a fist.

That lesson is what those girls need, cause if they are going to allow a few to run them out of something that they may be good at, then they will always be the victim. Many people in the history of the USA, marched, were beaten and killed for them to have an opportunity, and to honor those who came before would be to go out and do what they want to do, to win at sports and show that no matter how hard the adversity or hatred shown, that it will never stop them from being successful. Cause if they run now, what will happen the next time or the time after that, do they forever remain a victim or take a page from history and stand up for what is right?

quoting this because it bears repeating.

You can stand for something, or you can lay down in front of anything. Your choice.

But you, my friend, obviously "get it".

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Oh my God....the injustice of it all!

Not sure when you grew up, but I grew up in a time where the phrase "sticks and stones will break my bones, but words can never harm me" was actually taught (ad nauseum) to kids. Because the world is hard, cold, and doesn't give 1/2 of a slimy green turd for any of us.

If it helps: no matter how much arguing is done here, no social justice will be found on ATS for these girls. Its just wasted effort.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Not sure when you grew up, but I grew up in a time where the phrase "sticks and stones will break my bones, but words can never harm me" was actually taught (ad nauseum) to kids. Because the world is hard, cold, and doesn't give 1/2 of a slimy green turd for any of us.

If it helps: no matter how much arguing is done here, no social justice will be found on ATS for these girls. Its just wasted effort.

I know right, Oh my God. God forbid I disagree with you guys, I feel it is morally wrong what happened at that game. I guess that makes me a snowflake though right? I also don't know when you grew up, but when I grew up racism wasn't ok then either. Whats the point of ATS then? Aren't we here to debate?

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

A) The girls do get sympathy from me, because it's not normal or acceptable for a crowd to chant racist remarks against other players.

ETA: By the way I'm not offended in any way whatsoever. I'm pissed because people are making a joke out of some innocent girls dealing with blatant racism.

Which blatantly racist remarks in particular struck you as difficult for these girls to deal with?

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I'm shocked...really am...that this behavior was permitted by not only the parents but, the officials.

From the link in the OP I see that it has been established (so far) that:

“We have confirmed that some students near the sidelines yelled inappropriate/offensive comments toward some of the players, and a student or two from the student section,” Tadlock wrote in an email to the station. “Our investigation is ongoing, and I would be happy to comment further once it is completed.”

I know that a lot can be said on the sidelines without anyone in the crowd overhearing even at a high school event.
I am in no way minimizing the experience however I am curious as to the score before the team decided to walk off and how long had the chanting been going on?

My daughter has played basketball for years. We have been from Memphis to Clarksville and Knoxville to Chattanooga and surrounding states. Most often tournaments are scheduled in the inner cities. Just last week we were in a school that most folks would say was the 'ghetto'.
Perhaps we are lucky in our experiences but, have never once experienced racial slurs. AND we are talking about skinny little girls from top of a mountain!

They have experienced plenty of 'smack talk' from opposing teams AND those teams families and fans in the stands who were often not white.

Time and experience and of course, winning teaches the girls to use those negative comments to their advantage. Feed on them, if you will. it can make you tougher. But, my daughter was lucky in that she had an awesome 'old school' coach for the first few years!

Most of the 'smack talk' I've heard...being on the court, sidelines keeping books and in the stands has been what I would call 'usual' (not racially motivated) and aimed often times at the Blind Officials...

Just my experience to share!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Which blatantly racist remarks in particular struck you as difficult for these girls to deal with?

Any and all

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig

Okay, I will grant you that it would have been better if the girls would have stayed and absolutely demolished the other team, but don't the individual chanters need a lesson too?

Find out who they are, put them in front of all other students in a school assembly and shame them in front of everyone. Then, ban them from participating in any high school sports - as a participant or as a spectator - for at least one full school year.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv
I doubt sinking to the chanter's level will really teach the lesson that should be taught.

Unless, of course, that we are trying to teach that bullying is a-ok when you are in a position of power...might make them extremely hungry to obtain positions of power.

link   

Okay, I will grant you that it would have been better if the girls would have stayed and absolutely demolished the other team, but don't the individual chanters need a lesson too?

I think they should have stayed on the field even if they were getting their asses kicked.

As for the jackasses yelling racist remarks, I think they should be pointed out so their fellow students and neighbors know that they are low rent and let the court of public opinion deal with them.

link   

I know right, Oh my God. God forbid I disagree with you guys, I feel it is morally wrong what happened at that game. I guess that makes me a snowflake though right? I also don't know when you grew up, but when I grew up racism wasn't ok then either. Whats the point of ATS then? Aren't we here to debate?

Im not calling you a "snowflake". I doubt you'll see me use that term any time soon, actually.

And im happy to see you express your opinion. If you wouldn't mind allowing the same from me?

Racism has never been "OK" in my lifetime (born in 72). But neither has telling someone that they can't be racist. Because, like it or not, there is nothing in the constitution that protects us from words that hurt. And there is no law that I have seen that makes the uttering of racist terms criminal.

An asshole standing on the corner screaming the N word at the top of his lungs may be in his right to do so. Even if you don't like it. Just be glad that he can do that....it makes it easier to spot him as an asshole.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join