It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Players So ‘Upset and Distraught’ Over Chants That They ‘Weren’t Able to Finish the Game’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

I am disappointed that they are being taught that they should never face any adversity in their lives and never feel any upset or discomfort, that no one will ever dare to ridicule them in any way and if someone does ... then they should simply take their ball and go home as the only possible appropriate way of dealing with the situation.

So if you had a little girl and at a school event she was called some of the most disgusting things you can think of, because that's what racist people do. You would just tell her to suck it up and stop being a snowflake? If so, that's fine and where we disagree.

It's what my parents taught me. We would have talked about it later. They would have expressed their anger and extreme disgust, and they would also have expressed their pride in me because I would have continued on despite the hostile atmosphere.

My parents also believe you finish what you begin. In that, they would not have been unlike some of the early blacks who faced down things during the Civil Rights era these girls cannot begin to imagine and wouldn't have the stomach for.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

originally posted by: Cheddarhead
a reply to: amicktd

The game was held in Elkhorn against the Elkhorn team. There shouldn't have been any problem with travel distance. The Elkhorn team players parents should have found it quite easy to attend the game.

I have no excuses for why the parents weren't there or didn't intervene then.

Then you and I are in agreement.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Cheddarhead

Same here. No excuses for the crowd.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Several of us have pointed out that we had the exact same thing done to us when we played High School sports.

I played baseball for 5-6 years (and one disastrous season of basketball) before playing football in high school. All of this in what was then a rural county in Georgia in the mid 80's - mid 90's. I'm as familiar with trash talk as anyone here I'd imagine, including the use of racial epithets on the field.

I never once heard a group of fans chanting bigoted crap. At the high school level, there were always members of the school administration and some level of security present and they would have been removed (disciplined if students).

link   
what happens when we let this kind of behavior go on is small groups from both sides will start yelling racial crap at each other and then what? is that the kind of behavior we should accept? I understand fans and competitors will engage in trash talk but we have to draw the line somewhere. i'm sure all the people on here bashing the minority snowflakes would be raising hell if it were an all white school being bashed by an all black or latino school. wrong is wrong.

link   

Not answering for him(it´s just a quote without username) but as I would have written the same, here is my point of view.

I would have told my daughter/son not to suck it up but to ignore them completely.
Because that´s how you handle such pricks. Ignore them, take away their feeling of success and the problem solves it self. Stand above it.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well then that's the difference because if my little girl dealt with this I would've been at the school the next getting this addressed. Trash talk, yea have at it that's part of the game. Blatant racism, not so much.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I actually think my main concern isn't whether or not what they did was right or wrong to walk off the field. I'm just upset a bunch of adults had the audacity to go online to take their own jabs at these poor girls. Poor form imo

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

I went to a majority white school where our basketball games against mostly black schools in inner cities saw a fair amount of racial abuse hurled at us.

And we just got on with it. Same thing if I went to play pickup ball in Oakland. White boy this, honkey that. I didn't sit there crying victim. Could have gone home and cried to mommy and daddy about how mean everyone is but I wasn't a precious little snowflake.

So you're wrong.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

My experiences happened in Paterson, NJ which is about as far from rural as you can get.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I love the hypocrisy in this thread. You just know that if the black and latina girls were yelling racial slurs at white players and they walked off, there would be no cries of "snowflakes" but of how they are "thugs" and "animals"

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It's quite funny, really. Words now crippling players as much as a knee injury. The very thought of this being possible is absurd, yet the fact that people are acting it out in the real world point to it being a severe case of superstition. Frankly, the trolls deserve to win.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Almost every time I come to this site I see people crying/whining/throwing fits and acting like they have been deeply hurt by the likes of BLM and others and you guys are supposedly adults, but some of those same people are chastising teenage girls for being affected by this.

Some of you snowflakes are far worse than those teenage girl snowflakes IMO.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
True.

But my upsetness goes towards the so called "adults" not managing the situation when they could have done so easy. Where were the coaches, the parents, sports director et cetera.
Where were the normal people in the crowd solving the issue?

It´s more a show of how less courage most people -including grown ups- have, to not stand up against such things.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Almost every time I come to this site I see people crying/whining/throwing fits and acting like they have been deeply hurt by the likes of BLM and others and you guys are supposedly adults, but some of those same people are chastising teenage girls for being affected by this.

And what consistently follows that is those on their moral high-horses.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Amen

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm interested to hear what other "racial slurs" were used, because "Donald Trump—build that wall" indicates no racism. What does indicate racism in the absence of such evidence is that, for many here on ATS, is the color of the student's skin. Assuming racism because the parties involved have different racial characteristics, is racism.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope
Yeah, the assuming. I was assumed being black, because I used a Mr.T avatar some time ago.
Crazy world.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

People these days have no idea how to handle adversity. This is one of those situations where it doesn't matter who wins... they are all losers.

This says more about the parents of the opposing side; what are they letting their kids get away with?

"All's fair in sports" I think not

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Not sure if you´re a regular teenage visitor, you´d bring your parents to the game...
But yeah, were where the intelligent people?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join