It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Players So ‘Upset and Distraught’ Over Chants That They ‘Weren’t Able to Finish the Game’

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: SeaWorthy

So no one should ever say anything that might be interpreted as offensive ever.

Because someone, somewhere, at some time, might get or has been offended.

0_o

Fallacy of Appeal to Extremes:
Description: Erroneously attempting to make a reasonable argument into an absurd one, by taking the argument to the extremes

Stupid argument......chanting racist crap is not OK.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Chanting racist crap is not socially acceptable and people who do it might feel the repercussions, but they are certainly free to do so.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Chanting racist crap is not socially acceptable and people who do it might feel the repercussions, but they are certainly free to do so.

Yeah - nice save

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I'm just waiting to see who wants to abridge speech, free expression.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Correct...being "free" to do something does not mean it is acceptable.

Why are you and others plus the OPs arguing that these Latino-American HS Girls playing soccer should accept and expect children to chant racist, bigoted slurs at them while playing HS Soccer?

The argument that those minority children that don't "accept" crowds of people shouting racist stuff at them during a soccer game are somehow suffering from "special snowflake" syndrome...or somehow that should be accepted as normal "adversity" that minority children should accept and deal with is simply soft-core racist nonsense.

It is defending the indefensible and blaming the victim.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Pure BS

This all stopped being about free speech ages ago

If you actually wanted to stand up for free speech you wouldn't be such an absolute wuss about it and you wouldn't be so terribly afraid to break rank and call things what they really are

But, yeah - nice save

This thread is an embarrassment
edit on 4/14/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: a :-)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

a reply to: Spiramirabilis

You saved me the trouble of thinking up another response..

Fallacy of Appeal to Extremes:
Description: Erroneously attempting to make a reasonable argument into an absurd one, by taking the argument to the extremes

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Thats the very basis of "Fighting Words".

Certainly as it applies to private folks (you and I), the application is more like, "Well....he's a human, and you pushed his buttons knowing he was going to get pissed...what did you expect? To not fight? You are as much a part of that fight, and verbally threw the first punch"

As it applies to police, however: they CAN legally silence you. If you want to stand there and scream at a cop that he is a fascist nazi, which is the event that led to the SCOTUS ruling, they CAN arrest you and silence you and your right to free speech.

Now...how this actually gets applied in the tangled mess known as "American Criminal Justice" is another matter entirely. But as it applies to private citizens (like you and i), it really just boils down to jury nullification. Had it been an adult yelling racial slurs at the game, and someone punched him over it, it would be likely that you would not find a jury to convict. Which, in that case, would be more like mob rule (as it was exercised in the civil rights south).

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

I believe you are misconstruing what he is saying.

Nowhere does he say its "ok". What he is saying is, assholes are free to talk like assholes. If you don't like it, deal with them directly. DOn't bring the law into it. Because we don't need Uncle Sam (of all people) telling us what is and is not appropriate to say. Thats something better left for society to figure out for itself.

For the love of God, government is a tool of the people. Not a master of the people. We don't have to sit and wait for permission to do things.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Indigo5

I believe you are misconstruing what he is saying.

The "posts in thread" button will help you confirm whether I am misconstruing what he is saying.

Nowhere does he say its "ok".

I am not saying rape is OK either...just saying if that woman is going to look so good she should toughen up and deal with the consequences.

This is a tempest in a teapot, a molehill mountain.

Drama, drama, drama.

Over some name callers and some poor little babies with hurt fee-fee's.

What he is saying is, assholes are free to talk like assholes. If you don't like it, deal with them directly. DOn't bring the law into it.

Show me where posters were saying that these kids broke the law and should be arrested and then maybe I will entertain that straw-man argument as real...until then I call BS.

He is calling HS Latino-American girls crybabies and snowflakes for not accepting people chanting racist slurs at them during the game.

Free speech might afford those kids the right to chant it...Just as it affords people here on ATS to call it what it is...some serious back-woods ignorance and racism being encouraged in our children from the national stage by Trump and his supporters.

It is ugly, sick and no..it is not something these girls playing Soccer should learn to "accept"..

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Free speech allows them the right to say what they want. You cannot argue that. The proof: that no one was arrested, nor has ever been arrested. Its fact, cold hard and unchanging for now.

The "right" move would have been school officials ejecting the students and then holding them accountable during school hours with parents present.

Were parents present, they should have done something. But coming from a small town, i know that parents are not always around when the kids are at school sports events. And the school typically encourages this and accepts responsibility for making sure that the kids are screwing up. Not sure how it works in Wisconsin...but in Coahoma, TX that is how it went down when I was a kid.

The game should not have been stopped. The host school failed to control their crowd, which is their duty. If the other team chose to stop playing, that isn't the choice I would have made. But whatever.

Were I at that game: i have no problem telling other peoples kids to shut up, and using my adult size to intimidate them into complying with me. Like i said; i come from a small town and believe in the "it takes a village" mentality if you aren't going to keep your kids under lock and key. It wouldn't be the first time i have made someone else's kids cry for acting like little jerks in public.

ETA: i should add....those girls don't have to learn to accept anything. But they DO need to learn to deal with it. If "deal with it" means quitting and walking away, fine. Like i said: thats not how i deal with things.
edit on 4/14/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

“One of the girls was cradled in the arms of one of our assistant coaches for a good 15 to 20 minutes,”

Man, if I was Trump, I'd be ecstatic over how powerful my name has become. You can basically look at a hypersensitive person and say "Trump" and drive them into a state of trauma. That's absolutely hilarious. I have no pity for those stupid ass girls and I hope they stay traumatized by hearing Trump's name.

Traumatizing people in the name of Trump is going to become the newest widespread game. We can call it the new knockout game except for this one, you just walk past a college student, or younger, and scream "TRUMP!"

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I'd just give up, seriously. As you can tell some posters in here think everyone is a crybaby or snowflake if they get there feelings hurt, no matter the circumstances. The funny thing is they make it seem that they never let anyone get to them, because if they did wouldn't that mean they were also snowflakes at some point? Possibly as a big old grown men or women, not 14-17 year old girls. There is just so much hypocrisy in this thread you can taste it.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Oh yeah, I'd be proud to have my name synonymous with racism.

I can see a great new campaign slogan for him - "Trump: it's the new N-word." I know a lot of his followers will love it!

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

They were offended, BFD. By today's standards, I could have taken offense at half the # I was picked on about when I was growing up. You deal with it, it's a part of growing up. Good God. Do we want these girls being hypersensitive their whole freaking life so they can go to college and pass out at the sight of "Trump 2016" written in chalk? They need to grow up at some point.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Just...WOW. I would love to meet you! And not in a good way.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

Part of growing up is letting offensive things roll off your shoulders, even the worst of the worst, like the name "Trump." If we cradle and coddle people every single time their feelings get hurt, they'll always expect it and therefore will never grow up. We were all special snowflakes until we were expecting to be coddled and were faced with reality and told to get over it. There are times to lend a shoulder to cry on. Being called a name or hearing a phrase like "Build a wall" is not one of those times.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JimiBlack

Before you get so angry, ask yourself this: why did the school not remove the people who were disturbing the peace of their event? They have every right to do so, along with the officials (who can eject fans who interfere with the game).

Why did this not happen? How is this a story about Donald Trump, and not a story about a Klan run school in Wisconsin?

On further review, this story smells like pure media race baiting.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Nobody sees his name as racist except for racists. Blacks don't even know why they call him racist, they just do what they're told. Go somewhere else with that bull#.

And in the meantime, the democratic front runner is on stage making jokes about "colored people" and pushing a black girl out of the way while she boards a car on the subway. But nevermind that one, just keep acting like the guy that hasn't said or done one negative thing to blacks is the racist one.

Here, watch Hillary's team push the black girl (who was simply minding her own damn business and trying to get to point B) out of the way so Hillary can climb on board and make the girl wait for the next one.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That may very well be, but racially intimidating teenage Latino girls ain't cool. Heck, racially intimidating anyone is not cool. But like I said, these kind of people know when and where to safely pull this crap.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join