It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two denizens of the past soar over scenic Arizona.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Gorgeous HD video of a B-17 Flying Fortress "Sentimental Journey" and a B-25 Mitchell "Maid in the Shade" flying over canyons dams and red rock in Arizona. Both Aircraft belong to the Commemorative Air Force Museum in Mesa Arizona. The footage was shot by H5 Media's helicopters.

www.azcaf.org...

Story of Sentimental Journey

Story of Made in the Shade

www.h5media.com...
edit on 12-4-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Thanks ....Still classics after all these years....!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
We're in the approach glide slope of Moffett Field. These same planes fly over head often enough. When they give rides they may pass overhead several times a day. I always run out at the distinctive approach sound of their engines. They rumble over head so close you can 'feel it'.

They show up during air shows and static displays, the B25 Mitchell, a B24 Liberator and P 51 Mustang all grace our skies from time to time. What a history lesson. For so many in war torn theaters around the world this was the last sound they heard.

My mom cringes, she was a child living in WWII Germany, heard many bomber flights droning overhead and the occasional low flying P 51 Mustang, searching for targets of "opportunity".

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Anyone know what the musical score was in the video?
It was PERFECT!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman
Beautiful!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
These two aircraft represent to me what American's can do. I have always been a big fan of these two aircraft. I remember as a kid watching the B-17, and the B25 fly around Barksdale AF Base. Just the sound of these two air craft will always humble me. Knowing what these airmen that fly these aircraft have done to keep us safe.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Music to our hears and the sound of terror to the Germans...B-17...and the invaders of the south pacific, Japs...B-25.

Need to check if the B-25 was used by the western alliance in Europe.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JaMeDoIt

12th Bombardment Group, 310th Bombardment Group, 319th Bombardment Group, 321st Bombardment Group, and 340th Bombardment Group. They operated in the Med, North Africa, and up into Italy.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

If I was suddenly a multi-millionaire, my dream private aircraft would be a B17 on bare metal with the turrets faired in like on the RCAF mailplane variants, with a 1930s Pan Am Clipper-style interior.

It's just that perfect looking of an aircraft.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Over too soon. Man, I could have watched that for hours! I always love to see these beautiful birds in their natural environment, instead of "stuffed and mounted" in some hanger somewhere. Thanks for the post!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

John Adams Soundtrack - Opnneing titles, composed by Rob Lane & Joseph Vitarelli:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Thanks for that.. . beautiful.

I was seriously considering coughing up the $450 for a ride on a B-17G (likely that one) at the Marana Airshow, growing up with stories about that plane via my dad, but got sidetracked.

Fun fact, dad was the first guy in the 8th AF (he knew of anyway, and techies spoke to him and got the feature incorporated into the next generations of WW2 bombers) to cut a hole in the nose plexi-glass to shoot his .45 at German fighters who had found the head on weak spot in our bombers... the pistol was "ineffective but psychologically valuable" when exposed in that bombardier position. I bet.

Anyway, cool.. .thanks.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
If only we could still make things how we used to. Thanks for sharing. Great track to go along with it for some reason it worked very well.

join