It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can you stand to watch videos or view pictures of death?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I can stand some of them, some of the time. I do not draw pleasure from watching them. Rather, it is important to me to get a scope of reality.

That aside, I feel strongly that it's VERY wrong for our 1st world societies especially to shelter ourselves from images and videos with real injury and death. If I had children of my own, they would be watching some(not frequently) to understand the way things really are. I really believe that we have cocooned ourselves in this safe environment and would accomplish much more as a nation if we paid attention/were shown the more gruesome imagery that is out there.

And frankly, I highly suspect we've been conditioned over the decades to be repulsed/avoid such imagery to better keep us controlled.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I find it fascinating. I once saw a video that a man had put up online of him murdering a man, cutting him up, and sexually assaulting the parts. I heard about it early, before the authorities started taking it down.

I thought it had to be fake and went to debunk it! But it was clear that it wasn't fake.
Seeing a human body become nothing more than a chunk of flesh was really mind bending, and it did screw me up for a while. I couldn't eat meat for about six months afterwards.

But I still don't feel particularly repulsed by corpses- I am somewhat fascinated by the opposing senses of an object which is extremely significant, and ultimately insignificant, at the same time.

I've often thought I would like to work in a funeral home. When I was a cosmetologist, I seriously considered looking for a job doing make up on cadavers (before I moved to France).

The reason is that contrast- between a hunk of flesh, which is nothing to the consciousness that once inhabited it, versus the very precious and sacred objet it can be for those that loved them. It is touching, and seems terribly important, bringing to the forefront the extreme value of living in the moment and cherishing our relationships.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harut
a reply to: GoShredAK

I don't think anything is wrong with you.
You are probably a very empathic person, that's all.
Wish more people were like you.

There'd be less tragedy in the world.

I don't see why I should watch a video showing death (by ISIS or any other terrorist group), it gives them the attention they wanted in the first place. So, I read about it to keep myself informed, but never watch their videos.

Thank you

I think I may be hyper empathetic. Is tearing up all the time from tv a sign of that? I love seeing people happy. The show "intervention" got me last night. Sometimes its annoying, if its something dumb like a commercial that makes me tear up I'll try and hide it from my wife lol.

And ya reading about massacres is enough for me. My imagination can fill in the blanks.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
I can.....but its not fun and I avoid it as much as possible.....
On the other hand ive dealt with real death events of varied natures in real life....
Which occaisionally give me flashbacks.....but so far nothing I couldnt shake off enough to function semi normally....
Psychopaths have no empathy be thankful you aint..............

So far real life situations don't stick with me like the deaths I've seen on pictures or video. Maybe its the adrenaline of actually being there? Then again my personal experiences are mild in comparison.

I'm very thankful not to be a psychopath but I'm not normal either which is ok cause normal people are kind of boring .

edit on 13-4-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
I don't get your problem, death is a part of life, no matter how you go and even if it's video-taped, deal with it

I don't get my problem either, but I can deal with it I just know it bugs the $h!t outta me.

Like yesterday at work when I came across the thread mentioned in the OP I knew if I clicked on the link to see a bunch of horrifying pictures it would kinda mess with my focus and mess up my good mood. I would have survived but since I have a choice I decide to do what I feel is best for my Mind, work performance and general attitude.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

There is nothing wrong with you. I can stand to see it, but I avoid it. Especially if I see a link in the news about a child being killed, I just will not click it if I know there is video of it.

Thee was a viral video of an Asian toddler being hit by cars twice and no one paying attention until an elderly woman came along. I think the child died. I wish I had not watched it.

Yeah I hate it. When kids are involved.

That video sounds Terrible and infuriating. People really do suck.

Here's the thing . I know for a fact that I would not have pretended not to see the kid (I take it that's what people were doing? I've seen that behavior in other similar videos)

I have been the first on the scene of a bad car accident where the lady broke her neck and was screaming in agony.
So I'm not really scared of the horrors of life . Just watching it makes my heart hurt I guess.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
a reply to: GoShredAK You are not alone on this. If there is a warning of graphic images, I will not click. What's the point? So my mind can add to being disturbed some more? I can read about death and be disturbed enough without the actual picture.
Fictional stories and images I can tolerate to a point. There are some things I can't ever watch even though they are fictional because of the imagery.
I definitely don't consider my self a coward, some people are able to view graphic death scenes and not have the images bothering them for the next few days... it is okay to be more sensitive than others when it comes to these things, IMHO.

I learned fiction has its limits for me when I found I could not stand to watch a lot of the scenes from the "saw" movies. I watched them all but looked away during really gnarly parts.

I prefer well thought out and actually scary movies not just full on shock factor gore style.

There's a movie called "the visit" that had my wife and I on the edge of our seats. It was really freaky and really good. Best scary movie I've seen since probably the exorcist.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Double post. See below

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyteeny
i'm the same.. i avoid horror and gory films too.. most of my friends watched a beheading video, i couldn't and wouldn't.. i even avoid the news because when there's something involving kids and awful things, it just makes me weep like a baby... far too many horrible things going on in this world of ours

Once on the news they showed a man executed by firing squad. The way his body slumped into a heap like he was suddenly made of lead is still stuck in my mind. That was over ten years ago.

The news got me again when the showed a censored video of several men being executed by pistols. Censored but the audio was still there.

It was their moans of death that will always be In my mind somewhere. They showed it all day to.

There are far too many horrible things In the world. Life is mostly suffering. This is why I try and dwell on the positive while I can.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I cannot. I was just browsing a thread having to do with Isis and the OP provided a link with an extremely graphic material warning.

Where?

Is it a mental weakness? Cowardly? Am I disrespecting the ones who have passed on?

I wonder if I am rare or if there are many others like me.

It helps to be able to detach from what you are seeing. Remember, it isn't happening to you. So many people have a diffuse border of the difference between self and the wider world out there. Its mostly not their fault, we have been conditioned from an early age to accept notions of decency through censorship.

Like when people get upset at 'foul language', as if their ears catch fire when the words enter their ear canal. What catches fire is their internal notion of sensibility that has been programmed into them.

They want you to feel horrified at violence, then they can use it to control you. Not proposing accepting violent actions or people as common place, just reminding us that it only has the power you give it in your soul.

The thread I referred to is titled "Isis bans all Christians from leaving raqqa" I would link but can't figure out how to copy/paste with this new phone.

Personally I can't stand people who would get all uppity about someone's language. That drives me nuts. Just worry about yourself, don't judge , and grow a pair people.

They do want us horrified, luckily I feel less horrified and more plain disturbed and mostly angry.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

I used to watch a lot of things like that in my early teens because I wanted to see the 'real world' so to speak.

You do right in not clicking, if you think they will affect you negatively.

You'll either become desensitized to it or develop a mild PTSD lol.

Lol yeah I would reach PTSD well before desensitization. Though I would prefer desensitization over the ptsd though because anxiety disorders really suck.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
No thanks ill just keep the graphic movies I already have stored in my head.....
Don't need to seek more....
Only part of you is detached....the other part gets the flashbacks whether you want them or not.....
They never go away, why increase the library.....
death, like , every other thing....will come when it will come.....

Exactly, why increase the library? I don't need any more messed up stuff cluttering my mind.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I've grown up watching live fish get popped on the head, skinned/scaled and gutted. So, seeing blood and guts and death is nothing new to me.

That being said, I remember watching 9/11 footage of people jumping to their deaths from the towers. I wish I'd never seen it. I can't forget it. I don't watch ISIS execution videos for the same reason. It seems gratuitous to me.

I may also be one of the only Christians in the world who has never seen The Passion of the Christ too. I have enough of an imagination. Why would I want to watch Him be tortured for entertainment purposes?

Maybe if you can't imagine or empathize, it's important to see these things to bring home the reality to you, but I can imagine pretty darn well thank you.

The people jumping from the towers is another one that is seared into my mind. The worst part for me is not the visual but wondering what their thoughts and emotions were in the moments leading up to jumping.

The level of fear and despair must be so heavy leading to that choice.

I imagine someone I love going through that and thats where I have to stop because it'll start to affect me physically.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Me neither

I've still got the guy in the wheelchair from the Boston marathon bombing seared into my memory. Some ex-member posted the gore and it really rattled my senses as it dawned on me what I was seeing. What veterans of war have to live with is awful...on all sides.

Some of the cop-killing videos had a similar effect so I don't read many of those threads and definitely don't click on the videos.

I started avoiding the cop shooting threads just because I know it'll rile me up and I'd prefer not to be grumpy.

The picture from Boston marathon that got me the most was a guy in tears holding his lifeless girlfriend.

Ugh I didn't even like writing that and I'm kinda bummed I remembered.

This is why I think Buddhist are right about not becoming attached to people. It just sets you up for so much pain. I'm hopeless in that regard, I love my people.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
a reply to: bandersnatch

I do find it interesting.

I watched my partner have a cesarean which was very interesting. She's having another soon, I look forward to it. If I had the brains and time I'd be a surgeon.

I was just in the room for a c-section about a week ago. Did not look over the curtain though, and I'm glad I didn't.

I sat there and held my wife's hand, I saw a lot of blood, I shortened the umbilical cord. It was awesome and I loved the experience.

Again though, I not look over the curtain lol. I was surprised with the calm demeanor or the surgeons.

Congrats on the next one ! That's awesome .

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
I find it fascinating. I once saw a video that a man had put up online of him murdering a man, cutting him up, and sexually assaulting the parts. I heard about it early, before the authorities started taking it down.

I thought it had to be fake and went to debunk it! But it was clear that it wasn't fake.
Seeing a human body become nothing more than a chunk of flesh was really mind bending, and it did screw me up for a while. I couldn't eat meat for about six months afterwards.

But I still don't feel particularly repulsed by corpses- I am somewhat fascinated by the opposing senses of an object which is extremely significant, and ultimately insignificant, at the same time.

I've often thought I would like to work in a funeral home. When I was a cosmetologist, I seriously considered looking for a job doing make up on cadavers (before I moved to France).

The reason is that contrast- between a hunk of flesh, which is nothing to the consciousness that once inhabited it, versus the very precious and sacred objet it can be for those that loved them. It is touching, and seems terribly important, bringing to the forefront the extreme value of living in the moment and cherishing our relationships.

I think I am officially going back to vegan after simply reading about that video. Which I actually appreciate. I needed extra motivation to start eating better.

Living in the moment and cherishing our loved ones is the best things we can do for ourselves .

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
I don't get your problem, death is a part of life, no matter how you go and even if it's video-taped, deal with it

I don't get my problem either, but I can deal with it I just know it bugs the $h!t outta me.

Like yesterday at work when I came across the thread mentioned in the OP I knew if I clicked on the link to see a bunch of horrifying pictures it would kinda mess with my focus and mess up my good mood. I would have survived but since I have a choice I decide to do what I feel is best for my Mind, work performance and general attitude.

If you've seen enough of death, either in real life or through video, the shock factor does disappear after a while.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

The thread I referred to is titled "Isis bans all Christians from leaving raqqa" I would link but can't figure out how to copy/paste with this new phone.

Thanks. I was on it…

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
I cannot. I was just browsing a thread having to do with Isis and the OP provided a link with an extremely graphic material warning.

For the life of me I can't click it. I just know what id see would not only ruin my day and put me in a horrible emotional and mental state, I will be stuck with the images for the rest of my life.

I watched one faces of death video when I was younger and it upsets me to this day.

Is it a mental weakness? Cowardly? Am I disrespecting the ones who have passed on?

I wonder if I am rare or if there are many others like me.

What mentality does ats think allows someone to view horrifying images?

What mentality is unable to view them.

How do you guys approach disturbing images of death? What reasons do you have for or against viewing these types of videos and pictures?

I'm a former Marine and I don't like to watch gory or graphic violence. I don't have a need for it in my life. I don't watch IS videos, or snuff videos, or even backyard fight videos. I don't need to see them. I would rather put something uplifting or educational into my mind than the horrific images.

Why? I don't want to be insensitized OR desensitized to violence and brutality. I'm not currently fighting a war and I don't want to view people as less than human, or as animals. The more negativity I put into my head, the more negativity will come out of it. So rather than view it, watch it, or imagine it...I just move on.

My motto when it comes to my brain is: GIGO: Garbage In, Garbage Out.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Enjoy it? Absolutely not
Seek it? Not even remotely
Handle it? 100%

I've been a paramedic and worked in about 6 different ER's. Death has happened brutally and it's happened in my hands over and over. I do salute those who avoid but no it doesn't phase me a bit...nice part is I still have ample empathy.

I think with medicine, combat, emergency work, etc you have to know it, understand it, not fear it and feel it. Mostly because you have to be able to work with death standing right next to you trying to win the game you are playing

just my thoughts

but I certainly don't enjoy

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join