It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can you stand to watch videos or view pictures of death?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I watched death until my curiosity was satisfied, then i stopped or just don't need to see more.

I used it as knowledge..

Funny thing is i hate Americas funniest videos, because people laugh when someone get hurt, i find that harder than watching death or anything graphic.

edit on 12-4-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Yes. I regularly watch videos of accidents and crimes. It has desensitised me a fair bit.

I regard a normal death a something we shouldn't fear.

I regard a horrible death as one of life's occasional bad necessities.

For the record I witnessed a pretty bad death and due to my desensitisation I was the only one of two on the scene who could deal with the situation.

But don't submit yourself to horrors of you don't think you can cope.

Whatever turns yer crank...but.not my métier ive still had to deal rationally with some horrors but its not something I seek....good luck with that...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

I can watch videos and view pictures of death, but I certainly don't seek out such things. I don't want to focus on negative energy and I see taking in negative images akin to eating junk food. It isn't good for us.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I've grown up watching live fish get popped on the head, skinned/scaled and gutted. So, seeing blood and guts and death is nothing new to me.

That being said, I remember watching 9/11 footage of people jumping to their deaths from the towers. I wish I'd never seen it. I can't forget it. I don't watch ISIS execution videos for the same reason. It seems gratuitous to me.

I may also be one of the only Christians in the world who has never seen The Passion of the Christ too. I have enough of an imagination. Why would I want to watch Him be tortured for entertainment purposes?

Maybe if you can't imagine or empathize, it's important to see these things to bring home the reality to you, but I can imagine pretty darn well thank you.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
A few years ago someone posted a thread about a python eating a kitten.
I spent about three nights agonizing over that poor kitten.
I have seen worse and even saw the autopsy pictures of the Black Dahlia.
I think seeing things like these desensitizes people and they lose any
sense of shock.
I stopped watching modern horror movies because they are too drastic and
realistic.I am more careful of videos on the web as well.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Me neither

I've still got the guy in the wheelchair from the Boston marathon bombing seared into my memory. Some ex-member posted the gore and it really rattled my senses as it dawned on me what I was seeing. What veterans of war have to live with is awful...on all sides.

Some of the cop-killing videos had a similar effect so I don't read many of those threads and definitely don't click on the videos.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That being said, I remember watching 9/11 footage of people jumping to their deaths from the towers. I wish I'd never seen it.

Jeez, I'd forgotten that. Watching them go was like being in their shoes and I bet they never felt as alive as they did when they made that tragic decision. The entire spectrum of humanity was right there in their minds and with what their deaths symbolised.

It's upsetting just thinking about it.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

That being said, I remember watching 9/11 footage of people jumping to their deaths from the towers. I wish I'd never seen it.

Jeez, I'd forgotten that. Watching them go was like being in their shoes and I bet they never felt as alive as they did when they made that tragic decision. The entire spectrum of humanity was right there in their minds and with what their deaths symbolised.

The part that really kills me about it is that I was teaching school at the time, and the jumpers were happening right when my next class was coming in. I was slow to get the TV off and one of the kids saw it, realized what it was, and said, "Cool!"

I can't forget that ...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

It weighed heavy on my mind after watching a documentary about the 'The Falling Man' photograph, with that poor guy (believed to be Jonathan Briley, RIP) falling upside down but looking absurdly casual with one leg a little bent, his arms down by his side and his head looking straight forwards, not down to where he was falling.

I imagine a few of the people on that day wondered if they were dreaming the whole thing, like they could just wake up in their beds at any minute.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Ahhh a teacher? Have you read Simon Armitage's poem Out of the Blue?

You have picked me out.
Through a distant shot of a building burning
you have noticed now
that a white cotton shirt is twirling, turning.
In fact I am waving, waving.
Small in the clouds, but waving, waving.
Does anyone see a
soul worth saving?
So when will you come?
Do you think you are watching, watching
a man shaking crumbs
or pegging out washing?
I am trying and trying.
The heat behind me is bullying, driving,
but the white of surrender is not yet flying.
I am not at the point of leaving, diving.
A bird goes by.
The depth is appalling. Appalling
that others like me
should be wind-milling, wheeling, spiralling, falling.
Are your eyes believing,
believing
Here in the gills
I am still breathing.
But tiring, tiring.
Sirens below me are wailing, firing.
My arm is numb and my nerves are sagging.
Do you see me, my love. I am failing. Flagging.

I love this poem for personalising one of those jumpers. I don't think anyone will forget that day and it's as it should be

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

What I like to think is that they passed into a calm state and their final moments were peaceful. A lot of people who have survived suicide leaps described this sense of calm.

Some have recalled hearing a voice saying they'd be alright.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
That particular flashback is what makes me want to fill lamp posts with certain people.....
I don't like to go there it makes me feel like it was me who let them down......
I will feel that way till we do change things...at least till then...maybe even after I cannot say...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I am highly analytical.

My first response to seeing a video where a person is shot or stabbed, or worse, is to observe, record, and process what I see, in order to understand the mechanics of it. I am the sort of fellow who can, and has watched autopsy videos while consuming a meal. It's not that I get peckish watching a dissection, that would be...disturbing, even by metalhead standards. Rather, I see no reason not to eat while learning, since I appear to be able to do so without untoward effects.

That is not to say that I feel nothing while these analyses are being conducted, but what I feel about what I see, is never as important as what I learn about what I see, while seeing it. The only exception to that general rule, is when something happens in life. It is vital that one responds immediately and effectively to stimuli which demand timely reaction and therefore action.

Because I seem to be capable of processing unpleasant data, without necessarily being overly emotional about it, I tend to see the doing of it as a duty, where it might be useful or educational. My attitude to it is this. When an apartment building collapses, a logical mind is aware that depending on the time of day of the collapse, or the day of the year, those apartments could all be full. But a logical mind is also aware that being so impacted by that information, that one learns nothing from the collapse itself, would be counter productive. And so, if video is available, I will go over it to see if there are any indicators from that collapse, as to how it came about.

It's the same with an autopsy, or a beheading, or a shooting, or a stabbing, or any other horrific imagery. I have watched video of the Japanese Tsunami that turned Fukushima into the hottest thing between the Sun and the edge of the solar system. From it I learned that the buildings on waterfronts in Tsunami prone nations should be built in such a way, and from such materials, as to make them less likely to be smashed from their foundations. From watching tornados blast through American towns, I have learned that making houses out of brick and wood and making them with flat sides, is bloody stupid in regions often hit by twisters. Geodesic structures, sunk onto deep foundations, are far less likely to be sucked up.

Learning the methodology of the enemies of freedom, by watching them work is necessary for reasons I should not even have to mention, and you never know when a small, seemingly insignificant detail in a horrific video might prove useful to an inquiring mind. I happen to have one, whose appetite for information is stronger than nearly every other impulse that my mind is responsible for.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
So most everybody gets where the OP is coming from.

Those that don't agree seem to have good reasons not to (like truebrit above and many others)

I'm still not quite sure what it is. I mean, I've seen dead bodies. At my new job I load and offload HRs (human remains) almost every day. I've almost died, and almost lost my family. I handle all that and more with stride.

I consider myself pretty brave and I promise I'm not at all special snowflakey.

But seeing innocents hurt makes me angry, disgusted, anxious, and sad all at the same time . Even fight videos like "knockout game" type BS angers me so I opt not to watch.

On the stupid "faces of death" video it wasn't the blood that still bothers me to this day. It was the soldiers facial expression and the way he sighed In what seemed like tragic acceptance, that stuff rocks me to the core .

One thing I've noticed is having a family of my own makes this entire reality heavier .

Honestly , seeing an evil person beheaded I could probably watch no problem. Maybe there's something wrong there, but it is what it is.
edit on 12-4-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Thanks everybody for being here

I'm at work so please don't take my absence as rude .

I appreciate you all

This discussion is actually helping me to analyze a feeling I've had for a long time but never really questioned (the feeling being my overwhelming apprehension to view graphic imagery.)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I can, only a couple have really troubled me. Crazy what some people are capable of. I went to emt school and pretty much desensitzed myself to that stuff.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
One member earlier compared negative media to junk food. I have said the same thing myself many times (junkfoos for the mind) This is the reason I generally can't stand to listen to mainstream music. All the infidelity, materialism, violence and boastful bs can kill my sunny disposition real quick.

I think its on purpose . That's another thread tho.....

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I don't watch videos of people dying or getting killed. I did watch a bootleg of Saddam getting hung (allegedly), and I did not feel positive about that experience. It didn't bother me emotionally, but I felt it was morally wrong to witness someone's death as a source of entertainment.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Just sit through 3 guys 1 hammer a few times, it'll cure you.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

I do find it interesting.

I watched my partner have a cesarean which was very interesting. She's having another soon, I look forward to it. If I had the brains and time I'd be a surgeon.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join