It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can you stand to watch videos or view pictures of death?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I cannot. I was just browsing a thread having to do with Isis and the OP provided a link with an extremely graphic material warning.

For the life of me I can't click it. I just know what id see would not only ruin my day and put me in a horrible emotional and mental state, I will be stuck with the images for the rest of my life.

I watched one faces of death video when I was younger and it upsets me to this day.

Is it a mental weakness? Cowardly? Am I disrespecting the ones who have passed on?

I wonder if I am rare or if there are many others like me.

What mentality does ats think allows someone to view horrifying images?

What mentality is unable to view them.

How do you guys approach disturbing images of death? What reasons do you have for or against viewing these types of videos and pictures?
edit on 12-4-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

I don't think anything is wrong with you.
You are probably a very empathic person, that's all.
Wish more people were like you.

There'd be less tragedy in the world.

I don't see why I should watch a video showing death (by ISIS or any other terrorist group), it gives them the attention they wanted in the first place. So, I read about it to keep myself informed, but never watch their videos.

edit on 12-4-2016 by Harut because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2016 by Harut because: spelling

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I can.....but its not fun and I avoid it as much as possible.....
On the other hand ive dealt with real death events of varied natures in real life....
Which occaisionally give me flashbacks.....but so far nothing I couldnt shake off enough to function semi normally....
Psychopaths have no empathy be thankful you aint..............

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I don't get your problem, death is a part of life, no matter how you go and even if it's video-taped, deal with it

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

There is nothing wrong with you. I can stand to see it, but I avoid it. Especially if I see a link in the news about a child being killed, I just will not click it if I know there is video of it.

Thee was a viral video of an Asian toddler being hit by cars twice and no one paying attention until an elderly woman came along. I think the child died. I wish I had not watched it.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
I don't get your problem, death is a part of life, no matter how you go and even if it's video-taped, deal with it

That was unnecessarily harsh.

edit on 12-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK You are not alone on this. If there is a warning of graphic images, I will not click. What's the point? So my mind can add to being disturbed some more? I can read about death and be disturbed enough without the actual picture.
Fictional stories and images I can tolerate to a point. There are some things I can't ever watch even though they are fictional because of the imagery.
I definitely don't consider my self a coward, some people are able to view graphic death scenes and not have the images bothering them for the next few days... it is okay to be more sensitive than others when it comes to these things, IMHO.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
i'm the same.. i avoid horror and gory films too.. most of my friends watched a beheading video, i couldn't and wouldn't.. i even avoid the news because when there's something involving kids and awful things, it just makes me weep like a baby... far too many horrible things going on in this world of ours

edit on 1pm121630America/ChicagoAmerica/Chicago416 by ladyteeny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I cannot. I was just browsing a thread having to do with Isis and the OP provided a link with an extremely graphic material warning.

Where?

Is it a mental weakness? Cowardly? Am I disrespecting the ones who have passed on?

It helps to be able to detach from what you are seeing. Remember, it isn't happening to you. So many people have a diffuse border of the difference between self and the wider world out there. Its mostly not their fault, we have been conditioned from an early age to accept notions of decency through censorship.

Like when people get upset at 'foul language', as if their ears catch fire when the words enter their ear canal. What catches fire is their internal notion of sensibility that has been programmed into them.

They want you to feel horrified at violence, then they can use it to control you. Not proposing accepting violent actions or people as common place, just reminding us that it only has the power you give it in your soul.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Where?

It helps to be able to detach from what you are seeing. Remember, it isn't happening to you. So many people have a diffuse border of the difference between self and the wider world out there. Its mostly not their fault, we have been conditioned from an early age to accept notions of decency through censorship.

Like when people get upset at 'foul language', as if their ears catch fire when the words enter their ear canal. What catches fire is their internal notion of sensibility that has been programmed into them.

They want you to feel horrified at violence, then they can use it to control you. Not proposing accepting violent actions or people as common place, just reminding us that it only has the power you give it in your soul.

what the (&*9809ing 8790k? Oops. That is silly, being soooo offended by foul language.

However, if one can avoid watching someone killed on video, a realistic killing, one should. It is no help to 'learn to detatch'. Every time you watch something like that, I think you lose a part of yourself. One should save it for an actual instance where you are present and cannot avoid seeing it.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

That was unnecessarily harsh.

The world is harsh and I'd rather not live in denial of it, you can close your eyes but it doesn't make anything go away

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I used to watch a lot of things like that in my early teens because I wanted to see the 'real world' so to speak.

You do right in not clicking, if you think they will affect you negatively.

You'll either become desensitized to it or develop a mild PTSD lol.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
No thanks ill just keep the graphic movies I already have stored in my head.....
Don't need to seek more....
Only part of you is detached....the other part gets the flashbacks whether you want them or not.....
They never go away, why increase the library.....
death, like , every other thing....will come when it will come.....

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Every time you watch something like that, I think you lose a part of yourself.

As nicely as possible, one needs to develop a sense of self that is distinct and separate from others, in this regard.

Otherwise what happens to others will destroy you. If everyone was made to watch the actual goings on in war, then we would rise up as one people to resist it.

Thats what happened during the Viet Nam war, they splashed it on our TVs at dinner time. Back then they still showed us the horror if it, that made people aware, gave them incentive to stop it.

Now its so sterile and the media so complicit with the warmongers to not show us the devastation caused by our military might in foreign countries.

Might as well be a video game.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Well done to the OP.

I think people who watch revolting videos of people being killed are themselves revolting. Death voyeurism is really worrying. What more to say?

When you watch Die Hard, or Rambo, you know it's fantasy. When you watch some dross on YouTube you know it's real. Real and very, very sad.

People need to boycott these types of videos.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Yes. I regularly watch videos of accidents and crimes. It has desensitised me a fair bit.

I regard a normal death a something we shouldn't fear.

I regard a horrible death as one of life's occasional bad necessities.

For the record I witnessed a pretty bad death and due to my desensitisation I was the only one of two on the scene who could deal with the situation.

But don't submit yourself to horrors of you don't think you can cope.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I watched one of those stupid "faces of death" VHS videos when I was a teenager and even now I still sometimes think about it.

No reason to watch anyone or thing die or get hurt for "fun"

In my mind it is unnatural to want to do so and has a somewhat psychopathic separation element to be able to see something horrific and see it as entertainment.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
no. thats the only stuff i wont watch. i've seen a man put a glass jar when one should not go, i've seen people eat poop and puke without flinching, i've seen women and men have sex with everything and anything...but can't even watch a car crash video someone died in... its the only thing i have left that really disturbs me, and i plan on keeping it that way.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

if u exposed urself to it more often, you will get desensitized by it. i used to be the same, then the more i see the more meh it got. exposer is the key.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420
no. thats the only stuff i wont watch. i've seen a man put a glass jar when one should not go, i've seen people eat poop and puke without flinching, i've seen women and men have sex with everything and anything...but can't even watch a car crash video someone died in... its the only thing i have left that really disturbs me, and i plan on keeping it that way.

That Jar eh?

The stupid things we watch and wish we had not.

That's this thread done for me before someone reminds me of something else I wish I had not clicked out of curiosity.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join