It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch Live Breakthrough Starshot Announcement by Stephen Hawking, Yuri Milner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Here is a link to view the Announcement by Stephen Hawking and Yuri Milner concerning this STARSHOT business. Let's see what we get!

Hopefully it's not a waste of time and resources. Here's to hoping for new avenues for space travel! What say you ATS?

Watch Live

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed
This is really fantastic. Hawking is answering 7 questions right now. From the press. He answered them. Now questions are open from the floor to the group.

I loved this question Professor hawking answered:

What should we do if we discover intelligent alien life?

Answer: hope that they don't find us.

edit on 12-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

This is about both Breakthrough Listen to listen for intelligent signals and software is available for you to listen through SETI at home. I Used to do that, but it got too intense for my old comp running 98SE. I might pick up a cheap laptop and use it for just that program I am so excited!

And about Breakthrough Starshot, which will find a better method of propulsion, getting us to Alpha Centauri within a generation.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Best news for ATS is that this project is going to be open source, including all data!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

I wish I could watch this live. This sounds absolutely awesome! (hadn't heard of it until I saw the thread and took to the Googles for the basics.) Will be following the thread for updates. From what I gather, they're talking about using essentially a fleet of tiny starships (like wafer-sized), equipped with cameras, sails, lasers for the push, communications, etc., and them traveling at 20% the speed of light. Not ready yet, of course, but with a clear plan of how to get there, obstacles to overcome, etc.

If only they had some great minds working on it...oh wait.

Yeah. F-WORDING AWESOME!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Please continue discussions here

Thread Closed.

top topics

join